All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
An idea I had ?!?
      #71003 - 05/16/04 09:19 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

The idea that I have is to compile a list a safe and tasty fast food or restaurant meals. Since being bed ridden for the last 4 weeks my husband has had to do most of the meal prep and he hates it. For the most part he ends up picking up something at the nearest drive through on his way home from work. Because I don't know what to eat I usually end up with toast. This can't possible be good for me.

I was thinking that a list much like the snack list at the beginning of this board would be helpful to all of us who are just too tired or busy to cook every night. I would be happy to compile the list if that is helpful.

Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: An idea for SarahB new
      #71029 - 05/17/04 05:53 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Sarah, that sounds like a good idea.

As I was reading you post, I thought of an idea for you. Can your husband stop at Tops on his way home? He could pick up a baked chicken and a loaf of fresh French bread. Then you could make some frozen veggies. That's an easy meal--as long as he'll eat the dark meat . I do this all the time (but I'm in Ithaca, so we've got Wegmans, but I believe Tops has chicken, I can check for you the next time I'm there)

--------------------
--Julie

Re: An idea I had ?!? new
      #71032 - 05/17/04 06:17 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Sarah,

That would be a great idea. I eat at KFC a lot and they now have roasted chicken strips with rice and green beans. I haven't tried it yet but I will as soon as I get the courage. Also, I noticed that a lot of fast food places are offering grilled chicken sandwiches, too. Wendy's has a great one. I wish a fast food window pick up (hate to go inside) would have homemade mashed potatoes or steamed rice. At least I think some fast food places are trying to make food better.

Thanks for the idea
Barbie

--------------------

#71034 - 05/17/04 06:34 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

I think that's a good idea. I think Heather has a general comments on restaurant food in her Eating for IBS book. I know that most fast food places have "nutrition guides" that indicate what's in the stuff they serve. You may want to pick these up and then decide from there what would work for you. Wendy's also has baked potatoes which would be good to get (as long as you get it plain!). I was also thinking that if you got Chinese or Thai food you could easily get your rice and then some type of stir fry with safe veggies in it with chicken or shrimp or some sort of white meat. Yummy!

Ana

Re: An idea for SarahB - Julie new
      #71035 - 05/17/04 06:36 AM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

Both Tops and Price Chopper have the chicken they also have turkey breast sometimes. That is a good idea Thanks! Do you find it hard to get soy products in our area? I can't find barely anything and since I am stuck at home I can't go searching. I am hoping that the regular stores will start getting more stuff in.

Sarah

#71040 - 05/17/04 07:00 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

This time of year most grocery stores also have packages of macaroni and potato salads you can buy near the deli. Make sure your hubby checks the labals because I've found that some contain milk, but I love the salads at our local P&C and they're dairy-free. They're a great side to go with your chicken or turkey breast!

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but I know Burger King has a veggie burger. Plus I've had Wendy's chicken sandwich (the one that's grilled, not breaded and fried!) and it's always been safe for me. It has a really yummy marinade too so it tastes great!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: An idea for SarahB - Julie new
      #71162 - 05/17/04 01:47 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Sarah, I don't have any problem finding soy products--between Wegmans and the GreenStar Coop, it's very easy. I just compare prices, see what's on sale, that kind of thing. There's soy cheese, yogurt, milk (and many different brands), tofu. You and your family might want to come to Ithaca and stock up! If you have a membership to the co-op you can save 2% and it costs $10 a year to belong.

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4685 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1025

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review