All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Protein shakes / weight gain
      #70702 - 05/15/04 03:33 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hello all. Well my boyfriend is one of those annoying people who need to make a concerted effort to gain weight. He has just started a gym regimine with a personal trainer, and is hoping to gain 10 pounds in the next several months. His trainer has him drinking protein shakes. My boy thinks he is lactose intolerant, so he chose a brand that was lactose free. However, he just told me that they are still "going right through him." At this point he thinks he's actually losing weight. I asked him about the ingredients and he said it's all whey protein. Well BINGO. I explained to him about other milk elements besides lactose being bothersome for people. So, I was wondering if anybody out there knows of any non-dairy (not just lactose-free) protein shakes for weight gain. By the way, don't worry, he's not taking that scary kretoein stuff -- It can cause heart attacks!
Well thanks in advance for any info!
AmandaPanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Protein shakes / weight gain new
      #70703 - 05/15/04 03:41 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

I don't know about shakes for weight gain specifically, but I use soy protein powder (for weight loss of all things!). It's a vanilla flavor. It's just the brand of my neighborhood HFS/co-op. Your bf could make his own shakes with that and just add whatever else he wanted (banana, soy ice cream, fruit, etc).

--------------------
--Julie

#70745 - 05/15/04 07:30 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks for the tip! Maybe if he blends it with some lite tofu he can just make homemade shakes. He lives in London -- Do any of our Londoners know if soy powder is available there?
Thanks!

--------------------
Amanda

#70773 - 05/15/04 09:10 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I'm one of the few who don't get attacks from whey protein powder but most certainly do. If he doesn't have IBS (does he?) he could try lactaid with the first sip of the shake. Personal trainers love whey because it adds ALA which build muscle. Can he use straight rice protein powder or soy protein powder in his shakes? He could boost the calorie/protein count by adding a nut butter, peanut or almond, cashew or sunflower and more sugar in base of rice, oat, almond or soy milk.....also a banana. Dates are good as well, and add a lot of minerals with the natural sugar to boot. Wish I COULD keep mine low cal. Once I start adding stuff the calorie count becomes WAY to high for my own good.

Kandee

--------------------

#70790 - 05/16/04 05:15 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I also am trying to gain some weight since I have IBS-D and lost about 15 pounds since last fall. I don't get along with the whey either even though it is lactose free, it is still dairy. I bought NutriBiotics Rice Protein Powder. It is not high in calories, but the protein (especially if he is weight lifting) is what gives you the muscle weight. My brother-in-law used to bodybuild and he recommended the Rice protein powder for me as a supplement. I try to use it in my rice milk to get some extra protein. I also use it in Cream of Rice cereal or he could definitely make shakes with fruit and the protein powder. Right now I am trying to start lifting a bit myself to gain some strength and muscle back. I can tell a difference already. Since it is low fat but high protein, he will gain the muscle weight, but avoid the fat weight. Hope this helps. If he can't find it in a vitamin store (not GNC - they knew nothing!), he should be able to find it online.

Good luck!

hslib (high school librarian

#70897 - 05/16/04 02:18 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I passed them on to my bf and he found this: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79592&catid=49472&trx=29384&tab=0#0
I thought I'd post it in case anyone else was interested.
AP

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 736

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review