All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
can I drink fruit juice?
      #70252 - 05/13/04 06:39 PM
Beth

Reged: 02/17/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

I've been having a pretty bad attack for the past week. well, the attack lasted a couple of days but the pain is still around. In any event - that's not really the point. the point is that my gastroenterologist told me there is no reason I shouldn't be able to drink fruit juice like apple juice. I've avoided it in the past cuz of the acid, but he says there isn't much in it! I also just started prilosec, so with that said, can I drink fruit juice safely since I don't have to worry so much about the acid reflux problems? I can't have anything but clear liquids until my stomach stops spasming and I'm getting really sick of water.

--------------------
Food for thought: the only kind I can digest.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: can I drink fruit juice? new
      #70262 - 05/13/04 07:23 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

See my other post about the clear liquids. Be careful with fruit juice. A lot of gastros just don't understand as they haven't got IBS) how sensitive we can be. I'd avoid them atm as you're ill. Again, see my other post.

#70272 - 05/13/04 07:47 PM
Beth

Okay, per your other post I am sitting here with a cup of hot chocolate silk in hand. Any other suggestions to help me get through this? I did the small amounts of bread and applesauce thing, but I got major cramps and pain the next day so I decided to back off. I am taking citrucel caplets, but I just read that heather doesn't think they work very well *sigh*. My doctor gave me some samples of Konsyl and it did NOT mix in - it turned into a goopy mess and reminded me of the texture of the polyjuice potion in harry potter!!! UGH!

--------------------

#70276 - 05/13/04 07:52 PM
Linz

Yeah, some supplements are GROSS! I guess Heather's the only one who's designed these things planning to drink them themselves!

You NEED to eat. If you haven't been for a while, then your bosy might take a while to adjust, but otherwise you'll never get stable! Try just having a mouthful of bread (fresh, dairy-free, no HFCS) with your soy milk. Unless you might be Celiac! Then just eat rice. Boring I know. But please eat.

#70280 - 05/13/04 08:07 PM
Beth

what is celiac? I have white rice - would that be safe? I've honestly never thought to check my bread for milk! I usually just get french or sourdough and call it good. I guess I'll have to pay more attention, huh? When my tummy is good I can sometimes cheat so far as to even eat a brownie or a cookie, though I avoid things like red meat and pizza completely (GOD I MISS IT!!!). However, it does seem to take me a long time to get over a bad attack such as this. I'm kinda scared to eat anything until tomorrow night because if I get sick again I cannot aford to miss more work. My boss is understanding, but so far I've been able to use my vacation time as sick leave. I hate IBS so so much!!!

--------------------

#70282 - 05/13/04 08:13 PM
Linz

Celiac is basically being allergic to gluten (in wheat products). If you haven't been tested for this, stick to plain rice - regular white is fine and at least there'll be nothing else in it for sure!

You NEED a soluble fibre supplement. They'll help prevent attacks and help you get over them. Not eating is NOT a good way to go with IBS, whatever your doc says. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors don't know enough about IBS. Read Heather's notes on "What to eat when you can't eat anything". And sip warm soy milk or herbal tea.

Btw, if you're ultra good for a while, then you should start to stabilise and THEN you can see what you can cheat with without getting really ill. But you have to be really good to start stabilising properly.

#70285 - 05/13/04 08:18 PM
Beth

*grins* yes maam! I know, sometimes I just want to bring a copy of heather's book with me and be like "okay, I'll be back in a month and I expect you to have read the first 25 pages of this book." I have been tested for food allergies and have none, so that is not an issue. I'm lactose intolerant, but that's rather beyond the point since I couldn't drink it with IBS anyhow. My BAD attacks happen durring my menstrual cycle. I'm working on that. I've decided to get back on depo provera even if it means gaining some weight I was so thrilled to lose in the first place. I'll just have to watch what I eat more closely I suppose! I think I'll be really careful until after work tomorrow and then I'll have white rice for dinner. I will also look for this fiber suplement everyone keeps talking about here. Do you have a suggestion oh helpful one?

--------------------

Beth new
      #70287 - 05/13/04 08:22 PM
Linz

Oooo! Soz...am I being bossy? I'm in the middle of a night-shift, so my brain's a bit dolally!

Acacia is only available from Heather - order online. She's great about shipping out promptly (and I live across a continent and an ocean from her!).

I'm on Depo too! Glad to find someone else who doesn't think it's awful. Helps me...and I love not having periods!

Re: Beth new
      #70290 - 05/13/04 08:49 PM
Beth

did you have any problems with weight gain? I'm not sure if it was the depo or the fact that I moved from KS to CA! I only took it for 6 months and then stopped (I didn't have a doctor here yet), but when my periods stopped, so did the bad attacks. I weight the pros and cons and decided that no pain and not missing work is 100% better than worrying about a few lbs. Of course if I was seeing someone it could have that extra benefit, lol, but I'll take what I can get for now

--------------------

Re: Beth new
      #70292 - 05/13/04 08:53 PM
Linz

Dunno actualy. There're so many reasons to explain my weight gain. But I was on depo b4 I got IBS and I can't remember having much of a problem then.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3460 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2589

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review