All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Potatoe Bread
      #70190 - 05/13/04 02:58 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Does anyone know if this is okay to eat? Also, I love wheat bread and recently changed to white because this diet said it was better. Is wheat bread really all that bad?

--------------------
~Wookie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potatoe Bread new
      #70199 - 05/13/04 03:20 PM
chigal

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

My experience is that potato bread can be good, but I have to check the labels/ingredients very carefully. I'm very sensative to most preservatives, especially whey, dairy, egg yolk, and excessive fat. My experience with wheat bread hasn't been too bad. Most breads labels "wheat" are not really whole wheat and may not have too much extra fiber anyway. Sometimes I find toasting the bread will make it easier to eat. Good luck!

#70209 - 05/13/04 03:41 PM
howiesbuttercup

Reged: 08/20/03

You might want to check out the sourdough bread that Cracker Barrell restaurants sell. It uses potato flakes as levening instead of yeast (which I'm allergic to) and they have both white and whole wheat (although you really can't tell much of a difference). I don't think it has a whole lot of preservatives in it, but I can't tell you for sure right now - the loaf that I have doesn't have an ingredient sticker on it - when hubby picked them up they were just putting them out and hadn't labeled them yet and he got them anyway. I think the bread is very yummy and don't have any problems with it.

Shari

#70230 - 05/13/04 05:08 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Can you eat "salt rising" bread? Lots of small independant bakeries make this, and it is great...........no yeast at all. However, I have seen it in one large grocery store by Van De Camp. That was a while back so I don't know if they still make it.

I'm curious.............how can you make sourdough without yeast........as that's how it's started, with yeast.

Kandee

--------------------

#70325 - 05/14/04 06:33 AM
howiesbuttercup

Reged: 08/20/03

I'm not sure how they make it without yeast, but I did email the company and they assured me that it does not have yeast. They said it uses potato flakes as the rising agent, not sure how it works but the bread is delicious. You don't realize how much you love it until you can't eat it anymore. I'll look around for 'salt-rising' bread, thanks for the tip. We don't have any small bakeries around here but I'll look on the internet and maybe I can find a recipe for it. Thanks!

Shari

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2022 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1094

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review