All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gas, Pain, and EEW GROSS!
      #70027 - 05/13/04 07:08 AM
chigal

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

This is pretty gross in my book -- I'm embarrassed just thinking about typing it -- but after trying to search on a few key words, I just can't find the answers. Here's hoping you can help.

To make this short, let's just say it's not just gas I'm passing. I had a serious surprise 10 minutes before a meeting with my boss and an employee yesterday. To be specific, I thought I was going to pass gas, and it was liquid. Since then there has been considerable "leakage." It's amazing how ashamed something like that can make one feel. I'm really tender and kind of puffy on my lower left quadrant of my abdomen/pelvic region. that ovary and tube was taken out 6 months ago, so I can't really blame it on them. There are plenty of other "culprits:" I've been sneaking in some forbidden foods, trying some really challenging foods (black bean chili -- beware! -- and that was 4 days ago!), and of course the fabulous heat and humidity of St. Louis summer has arrived a little early. Combine that with the stress of trying to get pregnant (yes, I still have the rest of my reproductive system) and the stress of working in an inner city community health center, and you have the equivalent of a McDonald's Extra Value Meal!

I'm going to spend the day relaxing with fennel tea, journaling, and trying to take it as easy as possible. I wish I had a bath tub! Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what this can be or what to eat to control it. Many thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas, Pain, and EEW GROSS! new
      #70048 - 05/13/04 08:23 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I have suffered with this same problem for years. It is mucous, it is disgusting stuff. I dont know that much about it, except that it has plagued me for several years. I have the most problem with it when I am C. And forbid going to the bathroom and being so C you feel like you need to push. That will bring it on for me every time. I used to take Imodium, that will dry it up right away, be careful with it though, you know it will Constipate you even more, if that is your problem. Other than that I dont know what to do for it, it has really helped me.

This stuff causes more anxiety for me, you never know when it is going to pop up and slip out. (nasty stuff). Your clothes can be ruined for the day with it. Keep some little pads in your purse just in case. I feel for you, I know exactly how you feel. You must be feeling anxiety from this also, it causes me to have attacks, do you ever feel like you are on a merry-go-round??

#70189 - 05/13/04 02:56 PM
chigal

Anxiety -- you bet! I'm sure this attitude is keeping me stuck in the cycle. I'm just hoping that staying home and taking it easy today will help things go better tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip on Imodium. I was thinking that may be the way to go -- or not as the case may be (ha, ha).

Hang in there . . . one thing I have to remember is that as gross as this all is, it is the stuff of being human, and there's no shame in that.

#70204 - 05/13/04 03:28 PM
Bunkee

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Aiken, SC

chigirl:

I have been where you are and it's not just embarrassing, it'd humiliating. I can't tell you what to eat except to follow Heather's book. I did and almost got better overnight. You'll get many suggestions here for what to eat. See my original post here:
Quote:

....Shortly after that I came across Heather's website. After reading for about six hours straight, I couldn't believe what I was learning! All I could do was to say to myself finally, other people have the same problems I do. By this time, everything I ate caused me problems. I read everything I could and was amazed to read where Heather said even water could cause distress sometimes.........

I started the diet the very next day and ate primary oatmeal, cream of rice and potatoes for three days. I drank fennel tea and took Benefiber. I think I may have taken a bit much fiber because I actually was constipated for the first time in over four years. After two days I was beginning to feel better and after the third day started slowly introducing other soluble fiber back into my diet. I was still shaking my head in amazement at how just a simple change could make a world of difference. I bought both Heather's books and have been reading them for the past two weeks.......I assumed that lettuce in salads as well as beans and red meats (for the protein) was good for me.... Also..... I became lactose intolerant.

I can tell you however that after my few 'accidents' I've learned to carry extra underpants in my car or desk drawer for just times like those. It makes such a difference instead of having to wear washed, wet panties for the rest of the day.

BTW: Does chigirl mean you have Chihuahuas? Just wondering because I had a screen name one time that was ChiMom.

Here is my pack below.

Take care,

Bunkee

#70228 - 05/13/04 04:55 PM
Valerie3kids

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Florida

Oh I feel your pain. I have the same problem. Now for some reason I have noticed that if I take Imodium then the next day tends to be horrible as in the "leaks". I always feel so humilated. I am potty trained really I am. I also keep extra undies and pads in my car. It really makes it tough to have even close to a normal life. I can tell you where all bathrooms in my county are though.

Hang in there and no you are not the only one!

Valerie

EEW GROSS! new
      #70267 - 05/13/04 07:37 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Up your soluble fibre supplements, girls! That'll really help, I promise. I had a big problem with this before I started the diet, but now, hardly ever.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Immodium as the mucous will be there even if you're C. And yep, it's gross, but you can talk about anything here! Oh, and panty-liners can help!

BUNKEE, I LOVE THE DOGS !!!!! I WANT ONE,TOO!!! -NT- new
      #70398 - 05/14/04 09:56 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: EEW GROSS! new
      #70596 - 05/15/04 07:18 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I agree with Linz. I used to always have a problem with this but since I have started this diet with the fiber I have not had any problems. I have had to throw many a pair of undies out because they were ruined.

You are right, this is a subject that we feel troubled about but feel you can't talk to anyone. That is what is so nice about the boards, you can talk about anything.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Janey

Cute Babies, Bunkee! new
      #70771 - 05/15/04 09:05 PM
chigal

Thanks for your words of encouragement! I'm feeling much better, even if I am a little "C" right now (at least the cramps stopped!).

"chigal" is based on my "home town," Chicago! It's an old monkier I dreamed up during a rather homesick spell. for those of you outside of the US, Chicago is 300 miles Northeast of St. Louis, and there is a great deal of rivalry between the two cities. You can take a lot of grief -- especially if you are still a fan of the Chicago sports teams (Go Cubs go!) I'll have to figure out how to post a picture of me and my "baby" Spike. She's a BIG 70 pound mutt (probably part border collie/shepard/kelpie). She's black, tan and white -- very similar markings to your guys!

Thanks to all for comments -- pump that fiber! -- NT-- new
      #70774 - 05/15/04 09:11 PM
chigal

Re: Cute Babies, Bunkee! new
      #70909 - 05/16/04 02:54 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Chigal, we used to live near Chicago (Barrington, but not the rich part!!). My brother is now in Jacksonville, FL, but STILL a diehard Cubbies fan.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4485 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1856

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review