All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need to ask this question, please
      #70014 - 05/13/04 01:46 AM
ChucksKat

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I am very aware that there has been much discussion of the atkins diet, but my question has to do with "fallout" from trying it. What caused me to have abdominal pain so bad that I would buckle to the floor and feel like my intestines were in an absolute knot? Is it the fat content in the diet? I need to know this. I tried this diet BEFORE I knew not to. I also want to TOTALLY BACK UP Heather's warnings about this diet. I am proof that you can really mess yourself up if you have IBS. Listen to her!!! I wish I had known a lot better... Thanks for any info anyone can give me on this. I don't want to EVER experience pain that bad again. I came very near going to ER to get a shot for pain. It was that bad.

ChucksKat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need to ask this question, please new
      #70047 - 05/13/04 08:17 AM
Katy6170

Reged: 03/31/04
Loc: New Jersey

The Atkins diet is the exact opposite of the way you should be eating if you have IBS, or any other stomach disorders. It is high in fat and protein, and has almost no soluable fiber. On top of that, avoiding good carbohydrates from your diet is totally unhealthy for any extended period of time for ANYONE. Carbohydrates are essential for a healthy body. Stick to Heather's guidelines, if you follow an excercise routine and eat proper portions, you won't gain any weight.
The Atkins diet came about from body builders who for two weeks before a competetion would eliminate carbs from their diet and eat only proteins. This would eliminate extra water weight and "bulk" and make their bodies ready for competing. The difference is, they only do it for two weeks, then began eating carbs again, and they excercise every day as well.
Normal people aren't body builders and need good carbs every day for a healthy diet, and people with IBS, even more so!
Hope this helped,
-Katy

#70051 - 05/13/04 08:29 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I did the same thing, it caused my IBS to flare up terribly.

Dont forget, the red meat and dairy cause me lots and lots of pain. Get back to the beginnin of Heathers diet, start out on white rice (jasmine is my favorite, it smells so good) once you get all of that ugly stuff out of your system, you will start to feel better. The rice is the first stepping stone. I promise it will help, dont forget your soluble fiber supplements. Read up on it here, there is a lot of help.

#70054 - 05/13/04 08:34 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I too, tried it before I knew better. It was about 5 years ago, before it really became popular. I did it serioulsy for 3 months. I even peed on the little sticks that tell you when you have reached ketosis! I went from IBS C to haveing TERRIBLE, URGENT D every day! I felt awful! And I only lost like 4 pounds in the 3 months!!

It took me a couple weeks once I decided to stop it, to get my body back to "normal." We both found out the hard way that Atkins is not a good thing! Start with Heathers diet and just give it some time for your body to adjust. If your worried about you weight try to limit you sugar intake. Sugar isn't usually a problem for our tummys but its bad for our waist lines!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 905 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 612

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review