All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: getting ready to give up!! new
      #69945 - 05/12/04 04:56 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Yes, those sound like good do-able goals! I don't really obsess over the rules, just do the best you can. As for breakfast, I usually have an odwalla bar superprotein and a glass of soy milk. I'm not a morning person either! And actually, I don't like eggs, but most people do, so I suggested that to you. I usually bring my lunch or eat at home (I'm a grad student). So turkey sandwiches if I'm on the go, or soy yogurt and a PB sandwich. Maybe some soy cheese with pretzels for a snack (or SoyCrips--just discovered these! the cinnamon apple are yummy!). Then I have chicken or fish for dinner. If I'm feelining lazy, then I'll have hummus or another turkey sandwich or even a smoothie. But I don't beat myself up if I don't get enough protein one day. Just as long as don't do for days on end.

You just got to be realistic with yourself. If you don't get in all the protein or enough veggies or fruit one day, it's ok. Just sort of average things out over the week. But don't ever skimp on the soluble fiber For me that's the one rule that's NEVER flexible.

--------------------
--Julie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

hang in there.... new
      #69982 - 05/12/04 07:28 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

sounds like you've gotten great advice from all sorts of people. i can't imagine what i can add except a little support.

you've been a good doobie for 8 weeks, and that's great. i know the diet is restrictive and if you're not seeing results that can certainly lead to resentment. i just hope that you're able to recognize the improvements you have made. you say your big whoppers are scaled down. that may or may not be the antispasmodics. certainly they factor in! but it's also possible that the diet is impacting that, as well. i know that the triggers really are triggers for me, and by avoiding them, i greatly cut down on the attacks.

i think it's definitely possible to get so worked-up over your own health that you make things worse. sounds like that could be happening to you. putting such a focus on things, especially when you're torn about your feelings on it, can really wreak havoc.

cut yourself a break and ease up a bit. Heather advised you to get rid of the Citrucel. i think that may be a good idea. that's what i started with, and it almost made me give up the diet. well, frankly, i did give up the diet for a few months. in fact, i didn't like any of the fibers untils the acacia. (not saying that's the answer for you, just saying that it's possible the answer is out there for you and you just haven't hit it yet!)

well, good luck. keep posting. we're rooting for ya!

--------------------

#70173 - 05/13/04 01:59 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

Quote:

But don't ever skimp on the soluble fiber For me that's the one rule that's NEVER flexible.

Maybe I am not getting enough soluble fiber?? I try to snack throughout the day on soluble fiber (pretzels, corn pops, fat free saltines). How much soluble fiber should I be eating at mealtimes?

Last night I had sushi for dinner and I made a point of eating a little rice at the beginning but I didn't worry about the amount because I was having nigiri, so each piece of fish came with a little more rice. And on Monday at lunch, I had been snacking before lunch on pretzels and then I ate a roll before having my meal (shrimp louie without egg yolks or dressing -- in other words, shrimp, lettuce, and egg white rings with lemon squeezed on top). Is this not enough? I worry that if I fill up on the white rice and the bread, etc., that I will get too full to eat enough protein, veggies, etc., especially given the need to eat small meals. (If I have more than a few bites of something, I get bloated -- a decent-sized meal and that turns into button-popping uncomfortable bloating.)

Re: hang in there.... new
      #70175 - 05/13/04 02:05 PM
pearlmaj

Quote:

Heather advised you to get rid of the Citrucel. i think that may be a good idea. that's what i started with, and it almost made me give up the diet. well, frankly, i did give up the diet for a few months. in fact, i didn't like any of the fibers untils the acacia. (not saying that's the answer for you, just saying that it's possible the answer is out there for you and you just haven't hit it yet!)

JenX and others, how did you know which fiber you liked? I know I HATE the goop so for me it has to be tablets, but other than that, how can I know that it is working/not working?

I was thinking I would up my citrucel intake to 2 in the a.m. and 2 midday, given that I bought two bottles of the dang things (one for work and one for home so that I wouldn't forget midday) and that I would make sure not to skip any midday doses (missing them once in a while so far meant that I was only getting one pill in a day, which is insufficient from what I have read on this site).

Should I give the Citrucel a chance at the higher dosage or scrap it in favor of some other tablet? (Suggestions on tablets to try much appreciated.)

AND thanks so much for all the support/suggestions/etc. -- I am not much for sappy sentiments, but it really does help to have you guys here!

#70216 - 05/13/04 04:10 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

hello again! it looks like you're eating enough SF with your meals. I eat about that much too.

I don't like goop either, but have you tried Citrucel Clear Mix? No orangey flavor and you can mix it in any cold beverage. Or acacia is great since it dissolves completely(no goop at all, you can even put it in tea!) But you might as well use up the tablets while you increase your fiber, since you've got them already. Then try switching, so you're not taking a zillion tablets all day long.

As for it working/not working, I noticed within about 3 days if was working because I felt better all around. Less gurgly, less gas, less D. Then I just got better and better slowly as I increased the Citrucel to 4 scoops a day. I had instant D after taking Benefiber so that solved that (However, I think Kree really likes Benefiber, so you can see it's an individual thing). I switched to acacia because it's more cost-effective and the supply lasts longer.

Does that help?

--------------------
--Julie

#70224 - 05/13/04 04:31 PM
pearlmaj

It helps a lot!!! Thanks!

fiber new
      #70235 - 05/13/04 05:49 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

at the risk of sounding like a moron or Heather's drug-pushing lackey (i'm neither!), i would advise that you try acacia. i know, i know, it's a powder, but hang with me for a minute, here. your objections are to the "goopiness," right? i give you my solemn vow that the acacia is NOT goopy. i promise you that. there are some debates on whether or not it's tasteless, though. almost all of us say it is totally tasteless, but i think a few people say they can taste it. i get a faint hint of... something... if i just drink it in a glass of water, but i mix it in my smoothie, my juice, my tea, my applesauce, my yogurt.... i never taste a thing. and it's NOT GOOPY.

i swear it. i wouldn't lead you astray, 'cause i have a real texture issue. i can't eat or drink things that are freaky, and if you have a problem with goop, i can sympathize. i wouldn't lead you astray!

and i really really felt better when i added it.

just a thought.

--------------------

#70250 - 05/13/04 06:33 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh please don't give up! I know you probably feel like you've been doing this FOREVER, but 8 weeks isn't all that long. It took me months to stabilise properly, but after...uh...9 months? on the diet, I now only have problems when I've been bad or I'm ill otherwise (migraine, flu, etc). It's made such a big difference.

The soluble fibre supplements helped me more than anything the doc gave me and I had to take Fybogel for ages, which is the most disgusting goopy mess imaginable! But now I have the joy of Acacia, which is so incredible (btw, thank you Heather for the latest delivery! Got it this morning...v.exciting! ). The only thing I can think it tastes like is slightly stale water. And it goes in anything. I have in tea, cereal, oatmeal, noodles....

You don't sound like you're eating much??? I know its hard when you can't eat proper sized meals, but snacking (on soluble fibre) is essential. If you don't feel you're getting enough protein, what about a protein shake?

You totally sound like a type-A persona (very into controlling your life - like I was!) and I bet the hypno or yoga would really, really help. It's not new-agey at all - there've been so many clinical studies proving how good it is. Sounds like you could do with making more time for "me-time". Book that massage. Then think about scheduling regular slots to do yoga or hypno or something! Look after yourself girlie - you're not a robot!

Goop, what goop??!! new
      #70402 - 05/14/04 10:02 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I take Metamucil (I know it bothers alot of people, but it's fine for me). My goop-advoidance technique is:

Put 8 oz of water in a glass.
Add 1 rounded tsp of Metamucil
Stand at sink and stir vigorously
Drink IMMEDIATELY all in one go.
But don't drain the last little gritty dregs
Have a sip or two of clear water
Wash glass and spoon.

If I were to let it sit and get goopy, I'd never drink it either!!

BTW, I think Benefiber advertizes that it never gets goopy, and neither does Heather's acacia from what I've read.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: fiber new
      #70449 - 05/14/04 11:48 AM
pearlmaj

Quote:

at the risk of sounding like a moron or Heather's drug-pushing lackey (i'm neither!), i would advise that you try acacia. i know, i know, it's a powder, but hang with me for a minute, here. your objections are to the "goopiness," right? i give you my solemn vow that the acacia is NOT goopy. i promise you that. there are some debates on whether or not it's tasteless, though. almost all of us say it is totally tasteless, but i think a few people say they can taste it. i get a faint hint of... something... if i just drink it in a glass of water, but i mix it in my smoothie, my juice, my tea, my applesauce, my yogurt.... i never taste a thing. and it's NOT GOOPY.

i swear it. i wouldn't lead you astray, 'cause i have a real texture issue. i can't eat or drink things that are freaky, and if you have a problem with goop, i can sympathize. i wouldn't lead you astray!

and i really really felt better when i added it.

just a thought.

It's a good thought and as a fellow-haver-of-texture-issues (my gag reflex is soooo sensitive), I do believe you -- but tablets take almost zero effort whereas powder requires me to do something. I know, I know, it requires very little effort but like Plato said (or was it Socrates?), "know thyself"! If only acacia came in tablets...

I have to go p/u a refill of Hyoscyamine after work today so I am thinking I will also buy Fibercon -- as I understand it, Fibercon also comes in tablets but unlike Citrucel should hopefully work (and unlike metamucil it doesn't contain psyllium). In the meantime, I have upped my dose of citrucel to 2 in the a.m. and 2 midday but I am still having loose/soft stool. Frame of mind is better today though -- it's so sunny and nice, and my evil cold/sinus infection is almost gone, so I am feeling cheerful.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3469 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4252

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review