All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions about IBS?
      #69802 - 05/12/04 10:35 AM
starimpaler

Reged: 05/11/04

Dear all of my new IBS friends:
I have suicidal thoughts sometimes because the pain is so intense when I have spasms. Then I get outbursts of gas which usually pass. Can anyone please help me?

Regards to all,
Waiting in Desperation

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions about IBS? new
      #69808 - 05/12/04 10:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you talked to your doctor about this? I think a SSRI anti depressant drug would be something to think about. I have taken Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro in the past and find them to be pretty effective. I would also reccommend the hypno therapy CDs.

IBS can be a terrible thing to have to live with but you can get it under control. Thats not to say you won't still have bad days, we all do. I started seeing a shrink a couple months ago and that has also really been helping me.

Please talk to someone about these suicidal thought, it scares me to hear you talk like that. Can you give us some background on you so we can better help. What tests have you had done, are you on any meds, are you following the diet, exercising, do you have these thoughts all the time or only when the pain is severe?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#69841 - 05/12/04 12:18 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, dear god, NO!! Suicide is a PERMANENT solution to a TEMPORARY problem. So DON'T DO IT!!!!

Yes, I know the feeling. Sometimes I just want to die too. But what I realized a few years ago, is that I don't really want to die, I just want the PAIN TO STOP!! Am I right? Isn't that what you really want??!!

And that's okay, because you're in the right place to get the help and advice you need to get that dang pain to stop.

Now, as Michele said, PLEASE find a way to mention this to your doctor. I know how tough it is. The way I did it was when I was there for a check up and he asked me how I was feeling and I said "Not too good" and burst into tears!! He picked up on it right away and asked me if I'd been feeling depressed. I was able to nod yes. Then he asked me if I'd like a referal to a therapist. And again I was able to nod yes. IT SAVED MY LIFE!!

Now you just have to read some of the older posts here and see how many desperate people like yourself have come here and gotten help and are now happy and joking around and making smart ass comments in the Living Room. It's a real miracle.

My final thought is something I read in a cognitive therapy book. The feeling that there's no way out and you can't be helped is the BIGGEST indicator that you CAN be helped. Paradoxically enough, it's true.

Sending lots of comforting pink light your way and

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG COSMIC HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hang in there. It does get better. We ALL promise, right everybody??!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69843 - 05/12/04 12:24 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Laura Sue pretty much said it all...and she's right isn't she?? It's really the pain you want to get rid of....not your actual life!!

You can do it I promise!!!

You should order Heather's books to start with and ask as many questions as you need to on this message board. There are so many people on here who will be able to help answer your questions so you can feel well again!!

Please don't lose hope!! I felt exactly the same way 4 months ago and then I got Heather's books, came on this site and started following the diet, got some new meds and now I'm feeling better than ever!! It is possible...hang in there!!

*BIG HUGE HUGS*

#69898 - 05/12/04 02:36 PM
starimpaler

Hello all,
I started getting IBS symptoms when I was about 7 years old. They ranged from obscure constipation to really embarrasing gas. Of course, my family did not do anything about it as gas was always considered a social form of exploiting one's personality. Then, I went to college where I was having issues with eating right because of the o.c.d or oily college diet. When I came home, my mother wanted to fatten me up (I was only 100lbs 5'9"). This caused many symptoms that came to rest to pop up again. My constipation got so severe that I would only go once a week. Also, I had a constant flow of gas and had to cut my social life (even though I am very social). I exercise a decent amount...about 1 hour a day with Callanetics and aerobics. I tend to have suicidal thoughts towards the end of each day when my gas pain feels like someone is literally taking a gas pump and pumping it into my body. I hope someone can relate because my family just laughs at me. I am also looking for some neutral gas foods to eat. Thank you for all of your support.

#69899 - 05/12/04 02:37 PM
starimpaler

Thank you. I'll pray for you.

#69900 - 05/12/04 02:38 PM
starimpaler

Thank you. Just hearing that there might be a slim chance of hope is enough for me. Best wishes.

#69903 - 05/12/04 02:42 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I'm SO glad to hear it. Looking forward to having you around here and getting to know you better. I can totally relate to the ocd thing! My "oily college diet" just about did me in, too!!

Lots of us have families that don't understand. My own mother has IBS but won't admit it!!

Anyway, glad I could give you a ray of hope!! Keep coming back, okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69934 - 05/12/04 04:49 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

jeepers. you've been putting up with this a while now. i can see where you'd feel desperate. i certainly have had my times where i would have sold my soul to make the pain stop. it can and DOES get better. you're in a great place to find help.

now if you haven't already done so, you need some fennel tea. really. i didn't like the taste too much when i first got it, but i got used to it. it really really helps with the gas. that's what's causing a lot of that pain, i bet. think of your colon as a balloon that's pretty dang full. if you squeeze that balloon, it just moves around, but the tension doesn't release. that's what's happening inside. once you find a way to get some of that gas out, the pain resolves a little bit. the fennel (and i'm not sure HOW) seems to get rid of some of that gas. it's worth a try, right?

good luck and keep posting.

--------------------

#70043 - 05/13/04 08:01 AM
Katy6170

Reged: 03/31/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hey there,
I can't say I don't get depressed, with IBS and endometriosis and all the stuff I've had to cut out of my life, looking on the bright side sometimes seems so hard.
But I really think that the IBS diet can help you. I was severely underweight because of surgeries and IBS, and I gained some back with the Eating for IBS diet. I can't say I'm completely symptom-free, but I go to the bathroom regularly and with much less pain now.
There is hope for you to feel better. Don't let this completely interfere with your happiness, and don't let it control you, start controlling it!
Read the IBS Dietary Guidelines really carefully and start following them now! If you haven't seen a doctor, make an appointment now, even taking small steps towards making yourself feel better physically may help you feel better emotionally.
I really hope this has helped,
feel free to e-mail me anytime,
holycrow1@aol.com
-Katy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1604 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review