All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is it ok if you can tolerate dairy?
      #69492 - 05/11/04 12:23 PM
JuLee

Reged: 03/23/04
Loc: Flushing Queens NYC

Or is it just something you should go without?

I can handle dairy pretty well, when I eat yogurt or have a little cheese I don't get sick or gassy or bloaty- nothing!

is that alright? or is it like beef, we wshould just cut it out no matter what?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is it ok if you can tolerate dairy? new
      #69543 - 05/11/04 01:24 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Julee, I'm glad you asked that because I think about it a lot too. I'm sure Heather and others would say it's a type of protein molecule that's more difficult for us to digest so why take the chance. There's also speculation that milk products may be bad for us in other ways (hormones, nonorganic, etc.)

However, I still drink Lactaid milk with no problem. I am NOT recommending that anyone else do this because for all I know the next time I have an attack it will turn out to be the milk. Also, that's about the only dairy product I can still tolerate. I stopped eating cheese a while ago, then yogurt, and finally realized even cottage cheese wasn't really settling right. I can eat a spoonful of sour cream on a baked potato or a very thin schmear of cream cheese on a bagel. And I don't have to check labels for dairy because the small amounts in breads or stuff don't bother me.

But I still drink two 8oz glasses a day of Lactaid milk (or eat it with cereal). And I SEEM to be okay. Maybe I just have a milder form of IBS right now than Heather or others. If so I'm very grateful. If I'm in denial, I'm sure I'll find out the hard way!!

Just my humble opinion...

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69556 - 05/11/04 01:57 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

We recommend you avoid all dairy as it contains casein and whey as well which cause upsets and gas. With that said, you have to do what you feel is best. There are tons of alternatives that give you the calcium you need so there's not much need for it - try silk brand soy milk (chocolate of course!). It's so good!
Some foods often contain trace amounts of dairy and some people can't even help that.
Also, if you don't think it's the dairy and you have an attack a day or so later, it still could be partly due to dairy. It's just better avoided.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#69594 - 05/11/04 04:00 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Well LS, it's confession time, isn't it? I'm like you in that there is certain dairy I can do just fine with.......no attack, not that minute, tomorrow or the next.....I know I'm in no way lactose intolerant....nonetheless I only eat a tiny bit of cottage cheese now and then, and some non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt out when everyone else is getting the high fat yummy stuff. I still do the Rice Dream or Pacific Rice beverage at home because if I went to Lactaid milk at home I'd drink myself into a stupor on it. I LOVE milk, but don't drink it anymore. I DID one night, 2 glasses in a row of 1 %. OMG, the IBS told me in no uncertain terms how stupid that move was....I'll never do that again. So there really is something to this milk thing being a trigger but for some of us I think it may take a lot of of it. For others, one taste might be all it takes to trigger them.

Kandee

--------------------

JuLee... new
      #69603 - 05/11/04 04:23 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i avoid dairy, really, but like LS, i don't worry about tiny amounts in the food i eat. (then again, i don't eat wheat so i don't have to worry about baked goods)

i am not lactose intolerant, but when i am not feeling well i get really strict 'cause the dairy can kick my butt. when i'm feeling strong, i can let all the rules loosen up a little bit.

did any of this make sense? i guess what i'm saying is this... if you are stable, maybe you can try some of the things you believe aren't triggers for you. but my advice is if you are not totally stable, then stick to the diet. the stuff Heather has ID'd as no-nos are GI irritants, so if your intestines are rioting, the no-nos can really hurt, even when they aren't usually a problem.

done babbling now.

--------------------

#69813 - 05/12/04 11:18 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

Also, if you don't think it's the dairy and you have an attack a day or so later, it still could be partly due to dairy.

Han Solo, that is ABSOLUTELY true. I've definitely had that happen with other things. Good point.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review