All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need some input
      #69352 - 05/11/04 10:06 AM
Amyhead

Reged: 01/10/04

I have IBS D that was terrible at the beginning of the year, but with some meds, watching my food, and hypnosis, I am doing much better. But, I have gained some weight and here I stand needing to lose 15 pounds. But, I feel kind of trapped right now. I cannot tolerate raw vegetables so salads are out and I guess I'm an old-school kind of dieter because in the past I used raw veggies as a quick and easy filler. So here I am trying to figure this weight-loss thing out with the added component of IBS D. I want some ideas particularly around lunch. I need some quick, cheap and low fat ideas. I have to have my generous bowl of old fashioned oats in the morning. If I try to come off of it, my IBS has a fit. So throw me some ideas! Your help would be so appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some input new
      #69358 - 05/11/04 10:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Firstly, some of us who are trying to lose weight post under the headings of Losers on the Living Room board- come and join in!

Secondly, try making your oats with water, not soy milk - you'll save a load of calories this way.

Thirdly, I'd recommend WeightWatchers, although you do have to check their recipes for triggers (many contain some).

Lunch-wise, chicken or fish sandwiches are quite a good idea. Add a little cucumber or whatever you tolerate. Rice cakes are a good snack. And drink loads of water!

#69526 - 05/11/04 01:11 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Amyhead, just to check the obvious, you have eliminated sweets as much as possible, haven't you??

Good luck with your weight loss plan! Kudos to you!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69558 - 05/11/04 02:01 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Laura Sue and LInz gave you good ideas. Because the IBS diet is low in fat and avoids high cal things like beef, oils, etc. you will probably find that you'll lose anyway. Don't give up your breakfast, and make sure you base every meal with soluble fiber.
With that said, try adding applesauce cups to your lunch. They're low cal, safe fruit, and quick and easy. BTW - see our quick snacks for more ideas (posted at the top of the IBS diet board).
Stick to the low fat and you'll lose fat.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#69628 - 05/11/04 05:52 PM
Amyhead

Reged: 01/10/04

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will head over to that diet board. I have thought about the applesauce, but honestly it just makes me want to gag. Never got over that texture in my mouth and my gag reflex. I have done it since I was a child. I think I will start cooking and chopping some veggies for my lunch, too. I guess I need to start getting creative.

Anyhow, thanks again.

#69647 - 05/11/04 07:02 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I hate the "E" word as much as the next gal, but when your diet is as restricted as it can be, the only way to lower your daily caloric net gain is to burn it off, exercising. I never used to have the energy to exercise, but now that my IBS is so under control, and I'm not knocked out by pain all the time, I go walking/running at least 2 or 3 times a week. I am just now being treated for asthma, which I've probably had my whole life, so I am working on building up my endurance. Even if you have to start small, start!
AP

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 589

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review