All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why am I so Bloated?
      #69321 - 05/11/04 09:30 AM
mellikatt

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan

I feel like a huge pinata! I have been following the diet and using Benefiber and teas. I've only been drinking cranberry juice (one glass a day) and almost 64 ounces of water. I have been eating very well (I'm really proud of myself). But, I still feel very bloated and gassy. I also noticed that it is harder to have a bowel movement (they are very hard now-instead of soft). I think I am doing something wrong. Too much fiber?

But, I am PMS'ing. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I just feel like I weigh a ton. My clothes look horrible on me and my face looks...well it looks like I'm retaining water...everywhere.

Also, do you always have a sharp terrible pain when you have IBS? I have had slight cramps-but nothing terrible. Not like some of the stories I have heard on this board.

Someone please help me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why am I so Bloated? new
      #69336 - 05/11/04 09:54 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Have you been eating any insoluble fiber, or have you cut it out completely? It helps to cut it out when you're first trying to stabalize, but once you're doing better you need to start eating it again, or you'll definitely be constipated. Here is what Heather has to say about insoluble fiber, including the safest ways to eat it!

By the way, the PMSing could DEFINITELY have something to do with it, too. My IBS always gets so much worse around that time of the month. Ahh, the joys of being a woman.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#69341 - 05/11/04 09:58 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Your story sounds exactly like me - ugh I hate feeling all bloated like this, yuck!!! I've tried different foods but its so hard to tell what's causing the pain/bloat/etc. because unlike having D, you don't really get an "attack" with C. Arghhh!!

I can totally sympathize! new
      #69422 - 05/11/04 11:09 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

I too feel exactly the same. I swear I have was bloated for three weeks straight.

I definitely think PMS has a lot to do with. And some months, your PMS could begin and last a lot longer. I finally feel better, and it is the week after my period. Stick with it.

Also, it could be the Benefiber. I tried starting on that as well and Heather told me that the Guar Gum that it is made of can sometimes cause blaoting. I stopped the Benefiber and started on Fibercon Tablets. I seem to be doing better.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated!!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

#69524 - 05/11/04 01:07 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi my Ann Arbor sistah! About the pain and cramps, no I don't always get really bad pain. Sometimes, but not always. The worst it gets for me is when I kind of wrap my arms around my body and walk kind of bent over. (My husband knows it well!)

So it can still be IBS even without sharp pain. I think that's what you asked anyway. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thank you for your responses! new
      #69634 - 05/11/04 06:26 PM
mellikatt

It makes me feel better to get all of this off my chest and also to know that others out there understand. I wish it wasn't such a day by day thing.

After my post, I saw MANY other posts regarding the same subject. I guess it's gas season!

Re: Thank you for your responses! new
      #69636 - 05/11/04 06:29 PM

Unregistered

HI Mellikat! I was wondering, have you been officially diagnosed with IBS yet? Antoher question, pardon the gross details, when you say your stools are "hard", do you mean that you are constipated or that the actual stool is hard? I know...YUCK! But this happened to me before and they found a parasite in my stool tests. Sorry...

Re: Thank you for your responses! new
      #69639 - 05/11/04 06:37 PM
mellikatt

Hey! No, I haven't been officially diagnosed. My doctor says that he believes it to be IBS-but I have to rule out Crohn's disease, before he makes the official diagnosis. I already had the tests for the blood in the stool and/or parasites-it was negative. It is just odd...again, as you said, not to be gross-but about 4 days ago, my stool was soft and now it is hard and it makes it very difficult. I am actually feeling a bit better tonight. I took Bethany's suggestion and changed the fiber I was on. I also exercised and had a light dinner. I am hoping I don't wake up extremely bloated like I did this morning.

I do want to thank you for the suggestion. Believe me, I will do just about anything to get back to "normal". Thank you for your thoughts!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2929 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2184

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review