All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cruise eating
      #69256 - 05/11/04 06:23 AM
stateskater23

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm a very lucky person and get to go on a cruise to celebrate my college graduation. However, I'm worried about the eating situation. They allow you to choose 2 dietary requests, which are limited. Of course, IBS with C was not one of them.

I chose low fat and am wondering if I should also choose vegetarian, though I'm not really. Has anyone gone on a cruise and dealt with this? Thanks for any advice.

I've stocked up on fiber, beano and, pepp. caps-I HATE BLOATING!!

--------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cruise eating new
      #69267 - 05/11/04 07:25 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'd be worried with vegetarian that you would get a lot of vegetables and little else. What would you do if you got a grilled vegetable sandwich? I'd be running to the bathroom! At least with the non-veg option you get chicken and fish. Even if you get served beef, you can hopefully get a side of rice or pasta and just eat that, right? You might also consider telling them you are allergic to milk. If they think you have an actual allergy, they will be 1000 times more careful about mayo and other dairy things that can sneak in. People who are truly allergic to milk can swell up and stop breathing. Nobody on a cruise wants to risk that since you're not going to be close to a hospital, so I'd go ahead and tell a white lie that you are allergic to milk. That, along with the low-fat diet, should be good enough that you'll actually be able to pick out the things you can't eat. But if you were to get pasta in cream sauce or something, you'd have a hard time picking it out!
Hope this helps! Are you flying to get to the cruise site? If so be sure to call the airline and request either a vegetarian meal or something similar, so you don't get the dreaded ham and cheese sandwhich!
Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Cruise eating new
      #69275 - 05/11/04 07:46 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I went on an 11 day cruise in Feb, your going to have so much fun!!! You usually have several different options when it comes to eating. there is usually a cafeteria buffett thing that has lots of safe stuff. If you eat your dinners in the actual dinning room, each night we had a menu of 8-10 things we could choose from. You can always ask them to switch something from a particular meal. Like one night they had a baked chicken with creamy mashed potatoes (sounded great, but I'm sure loaded with butter) they also pork chops and rice pilaf, so I asked them to get me the chicken with the rice. They are usually very accomadating. I would suggest going to the dinning room a little early on the first night and pull your head waiter aside and just explain to him the you have serious tummy issues and my need to make speacial request. Thats what I did and he was very gracious, not making a big deal of it in front of everyone else at the table. I did tip him a little extra at the end!

They always have bread with the meals so be sure to munch a lot of that first. I would suggest taking extra fiber supplements, like Equaltin or Fibercon in the pill forms, to take just before eating as well. I am also IBC C and I cheated a fair amount and was still ok. I had some bloating and gas but I also had some icecream, real icecream! Try to relax, your going to have such a good time!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 418

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review