All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
evening primrose oil
      #69141 - 05/10/04 03:10 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Has anyone tried this?? I have IBS and horrible PMS and was doing some research and found that evening primrose oil is good for PMS and IBS. I bought it and it caused my stomach to hurt very bad with gas and such. Then I did more research and found that it effects a small percentage of people this way. Has anyone else tried this product? Could it have been the brand that I used possibly? I thought there may be light at the end of the tunnel..:(

--------------------
~Wookie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: evening primrose oil new
      #69148 - 05/10/04 03:37 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Davena,

Yes, Eve of Primrose is great for both PMS and menopausal symptoms. so is the over the counter progesterone cream (I used to use Progest). I've never heard of anyone getting a stomach ache with the Eve of P oil but anything is possible. Of course it could be the brand you used, plus take it with FOOD, especially foods high in soluble fiber---breads, rice, etc.. Remember it IS a fat (oil, I know, but a fat nonetheless) so that alone can be a trigger. How many did you take? You may have to slowly work up to the recommended dose, and possibly try another brand. Once your system is used to it you need to take it daily to do any good for your PMS.

Hope this helps..

Kandee

--------------------

#69879 - 05/12/04 02:02 PM
Wookie

Thanks for your reply! I may try another brand. My stomach would get upset after taking just one pill in about 15 minutes. I tried them two days and it didn't get better. They were too painful to keep trying but maybe you are right about the brand. I take a blend of flax, fish and borage oil and I read that they are very similar. That is why I can't figure out why they make me feel differently. I found a site that said 2% of the population reacts that way to EPO..just my luck! Thanks again!

--------------------
~Wookie

#69887 - 05/12/04 02:22 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Borage and Eve of Primrose oil are almost identical, so if you don't want to even bother with the Eve of P, don't. I'd say you're doing fine with what you take now.

Maybe try the Progest cream (natural, I think made from yams) for your PMS. The dose is on the label. You don't take much.

Kandee

--------------------

#69895 - 05/12/04 02:29 PM
Wookie

Thanks! I think I will just give the progesterone cream a try then. Can I ask what happens if I use too much? Not that I plan on it but I was just curious. Thanks again!

--------------------
~Wookie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1599 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1800

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review