All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Please Help! Endometriosis vs. IBS
      #69139 - 05/10/04 03:03 PM
mickz

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: Jacksonville, FL

I know that endo can mimmick the symptoms of IBS. Here's my question...does the endo HAVE TO be growing on the bowel to cause these symptoms? I had a Laproscopy and they found endo, but the dr. said tht there was none on the bowel? Could I still be having pain anyway?

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please Help! Endometriosis vs. IBS new
      #69149 - 05/10/04 03:39 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!

I have endo as well (my last lap was in 2001 and none was found on the bowel) and it's my opinion that you can have pain even if it's not on the bowel. If it is on the bowel you would likely have more pain during your period, and it's quite common to have rectal bleeding.

However, endo pain can become quite severe, so even if it's not on the bowel you can still have really bad cramps.

Have you been given anything to take treatment wise?

Kelly

#69153 - 05/10/04 04:14 PM
mickz

Kelly-

I have not had any treatment accept for what they burnt off because I'm trying to get pregnant.

Do you have pain form the endo? Does it feel the same as IBS? What can you take for thhe pain?

Kelly

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

#69202 - 05/10/04 06:53 PM
Vicam

Hello,

Yes, I do have pain from endo. Unfortunately, when I had my surgery the doctor didn't tell me that they didn't have the equipment at the hospital to burn anything off, so they just diagnosed me and stitched me back up

There's a lot of treatments out there depending on what your chief complaints are. Something that has helped me is going on continuous cycle birth control pills...which means I take them non-stop rather than taking a week off, usually for at least six months at a time. That way, you don't get a period for six months and it's speculated that it helps slow the growth on the endo.

When I have pain, I've been told the best thing is some sort of NSAID. I take Naproxen 375mg; however, it's pretty hard on the tummy. Works ok for the pain, without it I wouldn't even be able to get out of bed. There's also some new drugs out there that are suppoesd to be good, one's called Bextra.

I would definately talk to your OB/GYN about it. There are a lot of treatments for endo, just no cure. But you should definately be doing something, not just to help with the pain but also to try and help slow the potential spread.

Good luck!
Kelly

#69212 - 05/10/04 07:46 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Don't know from endo but do want to add my two cents on painkillers. I've just figured out in the past couple weeks that I can take Naproxen if I take an Imodium with it. Bextra was better, but also upset my tummy after I'd been taking it a while.

Good luck.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

? for Vicam Re: Please Help! Endometriosis vs. IBS new
      #69248 - 05/11/04 04:46 AM
mickz

What does your endo pain feel like? Does it feel like IBS?

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

#69261 - 05/11/04 06:36 AM
Flower825

Reged: 05/11/04

I have some possibly good news for you. I have endo also. I got the lap done Dec. 2002. I wanted to get pregnant. They found a lot of endo all over the place. (Bowels and elsewhere). My symptoms included extremely painful periods with lots of cramps and D. I still get that though!! I did get prenant within 3 months of the surgery. Basically the second month we were able to start trying again! My baby's due date was on the same day the next year that I had the surgery the year before!! What a miracle.
Now I am the Patch for the endo. They want me to take it for 6 weeks at a time and only have 6 cycles/year but my body is still adjusting because it wants to do what it wants sometimes.
As for pain control, I found that 800mg of Ibuprofen makes a big difference. As soon as I know symptoms are coming on, I must start taking the Ibu's and keep them in my system for the full 3-4 days.
Good luck.

Flower and Ibuprofen new
      #69272 - 05/11/04 07:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Be careful with the Ibuprofen as this will make IBS worse. Make sure you only take it after a safe meal and taking something like Zantac at the same time is supposed to minimise the damage.

Re: Flower and Ibuprofen new
      #69376 - 05/11/04 10:29 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

Be careful with the Ibuprofen as this will make IBS worse. Make sure you only take it after a safe meal and taking something like Zantac at the same time is supposed to minimise the damage.

I actually take it with an Imodium when I have to!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: ? for Vicam Re: Please Help! Endometriosis vs. IBS new
      #69379 - 05/11/04 10:30 AM
Vicam

With endo the pain is primarily lower abdominal pain, and yes, it does feel a lot similar to the cramping I get from IBS. It's all below the belly button, pretty much righ around the area where the uterus and ovaries are. It's just a constant cramping, but then I'll get some really bad spurts of pain that just knock me over basically, and when it's really bad I get nauseaus.

The one thing that I can distinguish as being different than IBS is that when I am on my period, my bowel movements are a lot more painful, have the time I end up crying in the bathroom. It also hurts a lot when I pee. This can possibly be due to endo being on the bladder and bowels (I don't know, I need another lap) or just from the strain from the IBS and Endo acting up at once.

Aren't we lucky?

Kelly

Flower and Ibuprofen, Linz?? new
      #69388 - 05/11/04 10:44 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I cannot beleive that I did not know this. I swear sometimes I can live in such a fog. I am allergic to all narcotics, Ibu is the only thing I can take for pain. Could that be why I have been so C lately??

Since my recent surgery, I have been doing way too much (its been six weeks, my mom told me yesterday that you really have to take good care of yourself after abdominal surgery for at least 6 mo.) its just been so pretty here that I have been doing some planting in my flower beds. Anyway, I digress. So I switched over to Tylenol this morning. Whats a girl to do????

------------

Dont tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big your God is !!!

Re: Flower and Ibuprofen, Linz?? new
      #69390 - 05/11/04 10:46 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I forgot to say that I am experiencing BACK PAIN from all of the fun I have been having outside lately. The ibu really seems to help with that type of pain for me. ok, thats why I switched over to the Tylenol.

#69391 - 05/11/04 10:47 AM
Linz

It's a right bummer isn't it? Ibuprofen's an NSAID (Non-Setroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) and studies have shown that these may cause IBS and they certainly don't help (I think taking them lots with teenage migraines probably contributed to me getting IBS and GERDs)! I take them too for my Fibro, but I try not to too often.

#69392 - 05/11/04 10:48 AM
Linz

Try doing gentle stretches before and after. The Ibuprofen will relieve inflammation, which will be why its helping you.

#69419 - 05/11/04 11:07 AM
Katy6170

Reged: 03/31/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hiya,
Just want to let you know, I went through the same thing. Started going to the Dr. for IBS symptoms, got a lapro done in December, and was diagnosed with endo. The symptoms can be exactly the same. Cramping in the lower abdomen (mostly I have it on my right abdominal ligiment, where most of my endo is), constipation or diarrhea, painful periods,painful intercourse, headaches, fatigue, the whole 9...
I didn't have any on the bowel, but, the lapros aren't that thorough sometimes. If the endometriosis is clear or light colored or even microscopic, it can be easilly missed by the Dr. Also, legions around the bowel can cause IBS symptoms. Sometimes the endometriosis just presses against the intestines or other digestive organs and puts pressure on the organs.
Be very wary of taking painkillers to ease the pain of endo. It can hurt more than help in the long run, it affects your kidney and liver functioning after a while as well as hurt your digestive system.
Be sure to check out " The Endometriosis Sourcebook" it's edited by Mary Lou Ballweg. It is a must have and has sections dedicated to IBS and Endometriosis. It also has many useful tips on pain management and taking care of yourself emotionally when going through the trials of endo and IBS.
Endo is no fun, and having endo and IBS is even less fun. It is good to know that you aren't alone, and that there are other women that know how you feel.
I hope this has been of some help

Take care,
Katy

Patch?? new
      #69424 - 05/11/04 11:10 AM
Katy6170

Reged: 03/31/04
Loc: New Jersey

What patch do they have you on for your endo? I had some burned off in my lapro, and I tried Lupron, and nothing has worked yet, I don't think I've ever heard of a patch for endo... is it a birth control patch?
I'm really happy to hear that your treatment worked for you!!
-Katy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 945 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4059

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review