All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS - C and acacia
      #69022 - 05/10/04 11:02 AM
Denise

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Utah

Are there any IBS-Cs out there who have had any negative reactions or bad luck with acacia?

Thanks,
Denise

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS - C and acacia new
      #69025 - 05/10/04 11:16 AM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

If you take too much right away you can have a lot of bloating..I did that! I since have started with a tsp. 2x a day, then 2 tsp 2x a day and now am up to 1Tbsp. 2 x a day and it seems to be o.k. although it hasn't helped with my C yet!!

#69055 - 05/10/04 12:36 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Yes, I started taking 1/2 a teaspoon each night and it was causing bloating/pain/gas. I'm going to try taking it again, maybe at an even smaller dose or something. I dunno, seems like most everyone else on this board has good reactions to it!

--------------------
IBS-C

#69063 - 05/10/04 12:44 PM
Denise

The same thing happened to me. I tried it for about three days in small dosages. The first day I actually felt less bloated and gassy, but the next two days, it was worse. I didn't take any over this past weekend, just the peppermint caps and felt better. I decided to try it again this morning. I took one tsp this morning and it caused bloating. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had a bad experience with it. Well, I'm not glad because I wish it would solve our problems, but glad it's not just me who isn't responding well to it.

Have you tried the peppermint caps? If so, how do those work for you?

#69066 - 05/10/04 12:48 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

When I first started my fiber supplement, I took 1/4 teaspoon, yup, you read that right, one quarter of a teaspoon, in the full 8oz of water, then waited three days to see how that settled. I'm a real wimp but it worked. I then built up VERY gradually from there.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69069 - 05/10/04 12:52 PM
Denise

What time of day did you take it? Did you take it on an empty stomach or with food?

#69072 - 05/10/04 12:57 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i'm not a C, but i will tell you that every time i adjust my dose i have a few days of bloaty painfulness. and i adjust by the 1/2 tsp each time. in fact, i wait weeks between each dose adjustment. i get through the several days of discomfort with tons of fennel tea.

i'll tell ya what, it's worth it to me. i am up to 1 1/2 tsps, three times a day, and have been quite pleased with the overeall status of my IBS! until this weekend, i hadn't had D this year. (and it wasn't the acacia's fault that i had an attack, by the way) but that's D, and i know C is different.

--------------------

#69073 - 05/10/04 12:57 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Sherry,

I don't know how "C" you are but I must beat everyone here, since I'm up to 1 and 1/2 to 2 Tablespoons before each meal. I eat right away after taking it. On top of that I take Konsyl at night.......now THATS the stuff that really bloats me, not the acacia. I think over all I must require at least 40g. of fiber a day (maybe more)... a mix of both soluble and unsoluble.

You may be right, it gets worse (C or D) with age, and you have to up the dosages.

Kandee

--------------------

#69081 - 05/10/04 01:02 PM
LauraSue

Just before dinner. Once I got used to the 1/4 teaspoon every day just before dinner (which took about two weeks), I added a 1/4 teaspoon before lunch, then in another couple weeks, added a 1/4 teaspoon before breakfast so I was spreading it out throughout the day. Then I increased to 1/2 teaspoon before dinner, while still talking 1/4 teaspoon with breakfast and lunch. And so on. Like I said, I'm a real wimp!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69237 - 05/10/04 10:08 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Just before dinner. Once I got used to the 1/4 teaspoon every day just before dinner (which took about two weeks), I added a 1/4 teaspoon before lunch, then in another couple weeks, added a 1/4 teaspoon before breakfast so I was spreading it out throughout the day. Then I increased to 1/2 teaspoon before dinner, while still talking 1/4 teaspoon with breakfast and lunch. And so on. Like I said, I'm a real wimp!!

I'm going to have to do that, start with 1/4 teaspoon. Do you think it matters in regards to bloating if you take it before a meal, or if you take it alone?

--------------------
IBS-C

#69289 - 05/11/04 08:42 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

I had been up to 3 Tablespoons a day (1 tablespoon before each meal) and that seemed to work well for me. (I'm a C by the way...). Right now I'm taking 1 teaspoon before breakfast and 2 teaspoons before dinner because I was off the acacia for a week or so... (I just added the extra teaspoon at dinner time yesterday). I don't really find the bloating too bad and I do drink tons of peppermint tea, sometimes fennel tea and water throughout the day. Maybe that's what is helping me with the bloating?

I started taking Heather's Peppermint Caps just a week ago or so and I'm not really sure how they're helping. I don't typically get tons of pain - mostly just C but I hoped the peppermint caps would help keep me regular if the C is being caused by spasms.

When do other C's take the peppermint caps and how have they helped you?

Ana

#69416 - 05/11/04 11:05 AM
LauraSue

Quote:

Quote:

I'm going to have to do that, start with 1/4 teaspoon. Do you think it matters in regards to bloating if you take it before a meal, or if you take it alone?

I'm not really sure. I've always taken it before a meal so don't have any first hand experience to draw on. Intuitively, I'd think before a meal would cause less bloating, but that's just a guess.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1354

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review