All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
One more thing that hasn't been mentioned new
      #68688 - 05/08/04 05:45 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I have a problem with chicken broth. I think it's the canned kind and probably has something to do with preservatives or something -- but I would have terrible D and pain from "safe" foods and I finally saw the pattern -- chicken broth.

I agree with the others about upping your fiber and all that - but just thought I'd mention the chicken broth as well. I know some make their own -- and that may be the key for me. Some of us have different triggers... but I thought I'd mention it for you to watch and see if it might be a common factor for you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: About to hire a private investigator.... new
      #68702 - 05/08/04 07:52 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

How did I get D-free for four months?

Well, to start with I didn't duplicate the combinations of triggers I had for my 50th birthday dinner last year: champagne, lobster and chocolate cake! Yep, I got diarrhea for my 50th birthday!!

Seriously, there are three keys for me:
1. Fiber supplement, maximum daily dose. (I happen to take Metamucil, but there are lots of different ones, including Heather's acacia.)
2. Anti-spasmodic taken twice daily. (Again, I happen to take Bentyl, but there are lots of different ones, including Heather's peppermint caps.)
3. HEATHER'S DIET!! No alcohol, no coffee, no high fat or fried foods. Lots of soluble fiber foods. Many small meals and snacks so I don't stress my tummy with too much to digest at once. Cautious consumption of safe protein and insoluble fiber.

And for me, it took ALL THREE. If I stopped doing any one of the three, I'd be running for the bathroom again, just like you!

Hope this helps. And don't give up! That's an order!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#68705 - 05/08/04 08:06 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I know people are probably tired of me bringing this up but could there be sorbitol/mannitol in anything you are eating( even vitamins, toothpaste, etc)???? Also high fructose corn syrup is something else to watch out for. Both of these are very bad triggers for me and I learned the hard way before I found this website. Just thought I would share this with you.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

#68728 - 05/08/04 01:13 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

My daily vitamin contains 45% of my daily value of calcium. Do you think I need more?

--------------------

Re: One more thing that hasn't been mentioned new
      #68729 - 05/08/04 01:15 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

really that is interesting... I will have to check that out. I never really thought that chicken broth could be that bad. Right now I'm using stop and shop brand boullion cubes, and there is probably a better and safer alternative. i'll have to keep an eye on it and cross my fingers that this is not it! chicken broth is a main staple of all of my meals!

--------------------

thanks laura sue.. you give me hope! -nt- new
      #68730 - 05/08/04 01:16 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

that made me sound like an idiot... new
      #68733 - 05/08/04 01:21 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Sorry, I obviously know that I should aim for 100% of my daily value in calcuim, I guess I just thought that I made up for some of it that my vitamin was missing with my meals. I def don't want to overdose on calcium, I heard that can be worse.

--------------------

Re: that made me sound like an idiot... new
      #68736 - 05/08/04 01:58 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Sorry, I obviously know that I should aim for 100% of my daily value in calcuim, I guess I just thought that I made up for some of it that my vitamin was missing with my meals. I def don't want to overdose on calcium, I heard that can be worse.

No that's a valid question, honestly I'm not sure what people here use as far as amounts. Do you get much calcium in your diet? Maybe take an extra 400mg(or less?) pill of calcium carbonate a day and see if that helps. Make sure you take it at a different time of day then your vitamin pill though, your body can only use 500mg of calcium at a time.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: that made me sound like I was on drugs ......................... new
      #68748 - 05/08/04 04:02 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

You gave me my (much-needed) laugh for the day when I read your comment about "made me sound like an idiot."

Back in February I spent a couple weeks in the hospital recovering from two surgeries, and for quite a while I was on 24-hour morphine and lots of other fun stuff, a dozen or more pills a day plus about 7 bags of stuff hanging from my IV -- and I had this GREAT roommate about 75 years old recovering from major hip replacement surgery. She was on major drugs too. We turned into great pals and when we couldn't sleep we'd lie there and whine and bitch and moan and stay up talking all night. The nurses were like "WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING STILL AWAKE TALKING? YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE ASLEEP!" and we laughed and told them we were having a slumber party and they should bring us graham crackers and pain pills and applesauce. Too fun. But when I read your crack about "made me sound like an idiot" I remembered one night Rosemary said something pretty funny and I said "well I just think you're on drugs" and the two of us nearly fell out of bed laughing.

#68752 - 05/08/04 04:29 PM
barberm10

Reged: 04/12/04
Loc: Florida

You have to sort out what works best for you. The time it takes to get it right is what sucks the most but working at it and sorting it out is worth the benifits!

I take fiber 5 times daily...Always before I eat a meal!!!

I also take something called Librax...
It has been the biggest help so far!

I also started to take Zoloft and WOW...I am not a depressed person but, if I go a day without taking it...My D comes back right away.

Good Luck to you!
M

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review