All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Something new....
      #68297 - 05/06/04 01:38 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

I am new to all of this. My doctor has done every test possible and it seems to be IBS. I have read the website and some of the messages and it keeps me optimistic, but sometimes I feel like I will never be well. I am 26 and I've had IBS D since December. I need to know how it is you all keep a positive attitude? I feel like it will never end and it seems so overwhelming. Please help....Thanks.

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Something new.... new
      #68300 - 05/06/04 01:42 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Bttrfly - welcome to the boards!

I know sometimes it can feel like you're never going to feel well again, but as a lot of us know.. that's not true! Although IBS isn't curable, it is manageable and a lot of people have been pain-free for quite a while.

I would strongly recommend buying Heather's books and chatting on this messageboard because the info that both provide can help you manage your IBS and feel loads better.

Hope to see you around and feel free to ask any questions!

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#68304 - 05/06/04 01:52 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I can only speak for myself, but the flare-ups can cause you to get frustrated. BUT the light at the end of the tunnel is that if you learn all you can - the this board and site are WONDERFUL places to learn - you will get stable and hopefully stay that way!

Learn all you can and enjoy the encouragement and help of all the wonderful folks here who have the same struggles you do! That alone makes you feel better. So very helpful! Hope you are feeling better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#68306 - 05/06/04 02:03 PM
Chantale

Reged: 01/18/04
Loc: Québec, Canada

Hi there!

I SO understand what you mean!! I am 29 and I was diagnosed last July. It took me lots of time to ajust and to accept the syndrome. Honestly, I'm not totally there yet, but it will happen...

All I can tell you is that with time, as you get to know ibs better (what or not to do) things evolve in a positive way. If I look at myself 10 months ago, I can really see how much my condition has improved and it will be the same for you if you read a lot, talk to the right people and listen to what your body tells you. Surround yourself with all the help you can get: find a good gastro dr (the second one I saw was SO much better than the first), find a good nutritionnist (you may have to see a few ones before you find one who's really good and knows about ibs... I also saw a great acupucture therapist as well as a psychologist who helped me with hypnosis. The most quality people you get around you the better. Also, speaking of people around you, your family and friends are also a key. Tell them about your situation and your needs. Of course, use the messag boards as much as you can. It is a terrific source of information.

We all get ups and downs but fortunately, with time, we get a whole lot ups than we get downs. It will happen with you too.

Finally, we have the right to find it hard... Because it is hard! Hopefully, you'll feel better soon...

Hang in there and
talk to us whenever you feel like it,

Take care!

--------------------

Chantale

#68331 - 05/06/04 03:17 PM
Valerie3kids

Loc: Florida

I am so sorry you are frustrated. I think we have all been at that at point and personally I have been there more than once. I have had IBS since my early 20s and am now in my 40s so ... it has been awhile! It will help a lot when you learn how your body reacts to life, foods and other stuff. That helps keep it under better control. But it is frustrating. I think one of my biggest frustrations was learning to tell people that I had problems. My family has been great I will say that. They have spent many moments waiting for me outside of bathrooms etc!

Hang in there it does get better. I am new to the board but the amount of info and the nice people are a tremendous help!

Valerie

Welcome to the boards! (you, too, Valerie) new
      #68380 - 05/06/04 05:02 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

it is hard. very hard. and that means you have a right to scream and cry and punch your pillow (not your family or pets!). but then you get it all out and you either choose to be bitter or optimistic and positive. you sound like the kind of person who's going to opt for positive! and i agree with that decision.

i still hope that one day i'll wake up able to eat whatever i want and never worry about it. but then, i'm so optimistic i think one day i'll wake up and be able to eat whatever i want and get skinny!

ok, gotta go and watch the last Friends. *sob*

hang in there, sweets. it gets better! you're in a great place to find inspiration.

--------------------

#68395 - 05/06/04 05:42 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Hi Bttrfly and Welcome!!!! It is very hard to go through this but there is lots of help out there and the boards are a good place to get good help!

Hang in there - I agree with Chantalle - there are ups and downs but things do get better.

There's lots of really helpful resources on this web site and on the boards so take a look around!

Hope you feel better soon!
Ana

#68444 - 05/07/04 12:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It IS possible to get stable, I promise! I have to be very careful about what I eat, but if I am careful, then my IBS is fine most of the time now. And I eat food I like all the time, go out to restaurants and everything! I'll be taking Acacia forever I think, but this is good for people without IBS, so heck, I don't care. Heather's diet is amazing - 8 months on the diet and I'm off medications and doing okay.

Get Heather's books, read all the info and get cooking! And keep posting - these boards are amazing and have helped me more than anything with keeping positive.

#68463 - 05/07/04 06:25 AM
stateskater23

Loc: Michigan

I'm new to the site but have been dealing with IBS-C for about a year. I've been very frustrated too, because I feel like I'm causing myself to feel sick when I eat. I'm finally getting things under control and it's taken a long time and this great site. I don't feel sick everyday anymore. I'm glad you've found the boards and this site because ti's SO full of care and information. I hear rave reviews about Heather's books, whcih I'm going to purchase after payday.

Hang in there and everyone will help you deal with IBS.

--------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1096

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review