Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My visit to the DR.
      #67300 - 05/04/04 10:01 AM
mellikatt

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Just to keep you updated.

I finally saw my GI today. He says that I more than likely have the IBS, but he will have to rule out Crohn's Disease by having a colonoscopy done.

I'm scared. It doesn't seem like much fun. I know it has to be done though....sigh...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My visit to the DR. new
      #67308 - 05/04/04 10:12 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Hey there,

I understand completely what you are going through. I had to have a colonoscopy done about 2 years ago. It is not as bad as you think. I will be truthful and say the worse part is the prep for it. I don't remember the actual test at all. Good luck though and hang in there.

Tom

--------------------

#67311 - 05/04/04 10:13 AM
gabe

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Altoona, PA

hey just wanna let u know i was too when i first had it done but the stuff u have to do before the actualy procedure is worse than the colonoscopy itself you have to clean your colon out which meant for me being in the bathroom all night long..i was asleep during the whole thing and when i woke up i wasnt in any pain hope that helps some

#67314 - 05/04/04 10:17 AM
Janice B

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: New Jersey

I just had a colonoscopy and it really isn't that bad. The good thing is that your sedated. The worst part is the prep. I almost threw up trying to drink that nasty stuff they make you drink.

My doctor was treating me for IBS and had me do a colonoscopy to check for anything else that might be causing my symptoms. He did find 3 small ulcers, I'm waiting for the biopsy to come back. Everything will be fine and it will be over before you know it.

--------------------
Janice B

#67323 - 05/04/04 10:25 AM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I don't know if you watch Live with Regis and Kelly, but Regis just had one done last week. So if he can do it, so can you! Hang in there, it'll be fine.

Everyone here is truly wonderful. new
      #67367 - 05/04/04 11:48 AM
mellikatt

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Thank you for your support and for easing my mind. I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this board.

I can't thank you enough!

#67386 - 05/04/04 12:22 PM
Punky

Reged: 02/14/04
Loc: Arizona

Hey there! I sympathize with how you are feeling completely. I had one done about a year and a half ago- I was 19 and it was about my first experience with anything like that. Like everyone's said, the prep is the worst part but one way to look at it, at least for me, it cleans ya out and helped reset my tummy so there's a plus:) A suggestion someone gave me before I had one is to set up like a sleeping bag or something on the floor of the bathroom. I was already really weak and couldn't handle going back and forth so I stayed as close as I could. It's also nice to just sit in the bathtub, light some lavender candles, turn off a light if possible, put some relaxing music on...it makes it more livable:) The procedure isn't bad at all after just finishing the prep. I wasn't all the way under and do remember parts of the procedure but it still wasn't bad at all....Good luck, you'll be fine....just relax (easier said then done, I know)

--------------------
"He has put His angels in charge of you to watch over you where ever you go."

Response to mellikat new
      #67416 - 05/04/04 01:25 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I just had the procedure done in early March, actually the night of the Oscars was when I had to do my prep! The worse part for me was not the prep, I am IBS-D so no big deal there. The problem was the drive, I was over 40 minutes away from the office and was still having to use the bathroom (less frequently) but still! Had the nurse told me that some people continue to have to use the bathroom up until the procedure I would have spent the night at a relatives house (they are only 10 min. from my dr.) So I cried the entire trip, sitting on a trash bag just in case an accident happened in the car, stopped crying in the waiting room, started up again when I was taken back to prep. I thank God for my husband and his understanding! The staff was wonderful, I explained I have horrible anxiety issues (working on it) and as soon as they stuck the needle in me I was out. No pain, nothing! If only the anesthesiologist could have come to my house in the morning! If I did it so can you! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D

#67941 - 05/05/04 03:33 PM
Bunkee

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Aiken, SC

Mellikatt:
I'm having my colonoscopy tomorrow. I'm told it's not bad. I'll let you know how it goes.

#67963 - 05/05/04 04:52 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

This is gross - but buy some baby wipes!! Haha You will be sore after running to the bathroom every 10 minutes. The prep is the worst. I DID throw up from the stuff you have to drink, so instead they gave me a MUCH stronger, but smaller dose of something else. Plug your nose and drink as fast as possible - and make sure you have water to chug right next to it! Then it's not so bad.
My husband thought I was hilarious after I had it done because of the drugs they put you on to knock you out. I was so embarrassed beforehand, but it was not embarrassing at ALL, because you have no idea!
Good luck!

--------------------
~Cara~

#68016 - 05/05/04 08:23 PM
Punky

I just remembered....A suggestion that really helped me out with the prep was to mix in some of the powered crystal lite pink lemonade or something powdered like that. It really helps with the taste but it also took me awhile before I could even look at the stuff again and I don't drink it to this day so make sure it's something you could live without:) But it did help me to "stomach" it. And I also agree with the baby wipes....you will be glad you have them!!
Good luck!!

--------------------

#68046 - 05/06/04 03:20 AM
TommyNY

Baby wipes is a good idea. I wish I had thought about that when I had mine done. I was so wacked from the anesthesia that my girlfriend (who drove me to the office and back) said I had proposed. Now you know that must have been some pretty good drugs for that to happen!

--------------------

Colonoscopy new
      #68048 - 05/06/04 03:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

JillSklar did a great post on Colonscopy prep- do a search for this, I wish I'd read it when I had my prep. The prep is certainly worse than the procedure - that's a breeze!

Be prepared to be in the bathroom for a while! Get books, bedding, TV?, water, etc. in the bathroom and make sure everyone you live with know that you'll need exclusive access to that toilet! Also, baby wipes (flushable is of course best) and nappy rash cream are essentials I think!

LOL Tommy! new
      #68137 - 05/06/04 08:28 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

Baby wipes is a good idea. I wish I had thought about that when I had mine done. I was so wacked from the anesthesia that my girlfriend (who drove me to the office and back) said I had proposed. Now you know that must have been some pretty good drugs for that to happen!

Okay, you win for the craziest drugged colonoscopy story!

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: LOL Tommy! new
      #68244 - 05/06/04 10:43 AM
TommyNY

I would have never known I had said it if she hadn't told me!

--------------------

#68247 - 05/06/04 10:47 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Haha That would be a funny story in the future if you did get married.
My husband said that I was laying there just starting to 'come back' from the drugs, and I whipped off my sheet covering me (I was still naked - not realizing it at the time), and when I realized I screamed, 'EVERYONE JUST SAW MY A$$ DIDN'T THEY!' He said he was so embarrassed but everyone was laughing.

--------------------
~Cara~

#68262 - 05/06/04 12:00 PM
Punky

Oh, funny colonoscopy stories!! You have to laugh, right? I did remember most of my procedure but I was drugged up and I heard this story later...apparently I don't remember everything. I guess when the drugs did their thing I couldn't stop talking (did the same thing with my endoscopy...doc didn't like that... ) But I guess I was asking the doctor if he was sure he didn't want to know me a little better first. And then I was hallucinating and thought I was in a teaching hospital of sorts with the windows above to serve as a viewing area. I was very adament I did not want those people to see my a$$....just wasn't going to happen. My mom got to sit in on the procedure and she thought that was all very funny....

--------------------

Colonoscopy Stories new
      #68290 - 05/06/04 01:33 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Maybe you didn't say it and she was just hinting?

Well, I sort of remember this and luckily my GI hasn't said anything (in hopes that I was dreaming this)..

.. but I'm pretty sure I remember swearing up a storm at the doctors during the procedure. I remember the nurse telling me to keep my voice down because others could hear me, and then thinking I didn't really care because the others weren't having something shoved up their butt. LOL

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Colonoscopy Stories new
      #68504 - 05/07/04 08:48 AM
TommyNY

Hmm she could have been hinting. I don't remember saying it so I will never know. Doesn't matter now I guess, we broke up about 3 or 4 months afterwards anyway. It did make for a good story though!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2455 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review