All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
soy hard to digest?
      #67296 - 05/04/04 09:49 AM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

I just read on a website that soy and soy products are very hard to digest..even tofu...does anyone know if this is true? Since quitting dairy I eat a lot of soy products.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you... new
      #67307 - 05/04/04 10:11 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

...oh! sorry. i got carried away!

soy is from the soy bean, so it's possible some people may have trouble with it, as they might with any beans. i found that adding them quickly to my diet resulted in gas. A LOT of gas. and bloating, too. i quit for a few days, then reintroduced it more slowly and never had a problem again.

apparently there's an enzyme involved that makes it hard for some people to digest at first. your body gradually works up to being able to handle it. well, that's for most people. apparently some people never are able to tolerate it.

if you've been eating it with no problems, then you have no problem! if you've just started adding it to your life and you're extra bloaty/gassy, you may want to stop with the soy for a few days and try to add it in slowly, like i did.

hope that answered your question!?

--------------------

Re: Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you... new
      #67428 - 05/04/04 01:55 PM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

Thanks a lot..definitely helped. I love the lemon rice pudding in Heather's book but it does have soy milk and I love tofu so will cut it out for a while and see what happens. Changing the subject, but have just discovered that oatmeal bothers my tummy..always thought that was so soothing for your tummy...have eaten it for years.. Oh well..alas maybe someday things will fall into place..

oatmeal--- the devil's food! new
      #67449 - 05/04/04 02:32 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i've always had problems with oatmeal. recently found out that some people with wheat intolerances/celiac sprue sometimes have trouble with oatmeal.

interesting, eh?

--------------------

Re: oatmeal--- the devil's food! Not for me! new
      #67463 - 05/04/04 02:48 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

The connection of oats to celiac rages on in dispute. Some "experts" say it's fine, others say there is to much cross-contamination from wheat. The best advise I've read to Celiac's is to see how you react.

For me personally, oatmeal acts as an anti-spasmodic. Since I rarely if ever take a pill for the spasms I can eat a small bowl of oats and it zapps the pain (and I mean PAIN) like nothing else. This has always been a mystery to me. I have no idea what is in them that would do that, but from what I understand I'm not the only one with that reaction. Doesn't seem to be many with IBS inbetween on the oats issue.............they seem to either help or they hurt..........

Kandee

--------------------

Jen you crack me up! -nt- new
      #67469 - 05/04/04 02:55 PM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Re: oatmeal--- the devil's food!- ditto to that Jen!! new
      #67608 - 05/05/04 02:42 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Re: Beans, beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat, the more you... new
      #67635 - 05/05/04 06:12 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Yeah I definitely had a ton of bloating and gss the first few times I had Amy's Veggie Burgers, and I didn't really know why. Probably there is soy (but I don't have a box in my freezer right now so I'm just guessing). After a while though, I was fine with them.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 997 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1094

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review