All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating -
      #67282 - 05/04/04 09:03 AM
EDK

Reged: 05/04/04

Enjoyed the book which I picked up at local Library.
Something I found out, which is helpful. Before going out to eat at a restaurant, take a tsp. Metamucil in 8 oz. water. This stops the triggering and can enjoy eating out.

Edited by EDK (05/04/04 09:05 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome new
      #67289 - 05/04/04 09:24 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

yes, i can see where that would work for those who can tolerate Metamucil. it's the same idea as the Equalactin many of us take before eating out. thank you for this, it reminds us what we're supposed to be doing!

--------------------

Eating - new
      #67552 - 05/04/04 07:28 PM
EDK

Is it good to take Metamucil each evening before a meal and can one take a glass of wine or a beer with the meal, would it interact at all? Thank you.

Re: Eating - new
      #67627 - 05/05/04 05:25 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

have you read over the diet information on this site? there's plenty of pages here about adding soluble fiber. you will be able to find the answers to your questions here: soluble fiber supplements.

i take my supplements three times a day. usually it's with my meal, but sometimes before, sometimes after. remember, it's important to eat soluble fiber foods with your meals, which means you don't HAVE to take your supplement at that time. i just use mealtime as a memory prompt to take the fiber.

wine and beer are not really on this diet as alcohol is a GI irritant. that said, i have a few drinks on the weekend if, and only if, i am stable. if you are not stable, the alcohol will irritate your colon! that's definitely the last thing you want when you're already not feeling well. i usually find that i can tolerate 2 or 3 drinks fairly well when i'm stable. there's no reason that alcohol and your Metamucil should interract, but i would check the packaging just to make sure.

--------------------

#67633 - 05/05/04 06:08 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Quote:

that said, i have a few drinks on the weekend if, and only if, i am stable. if you are not stable, the alcohol will irritate your colon! that's definitely the last thing you want when you're already not feeling well. i usually find that i can tolerate 2 or 3 drinks fairly well when i'm stable.

I second that. Being 22 in NYC, my willpower just isn't strong enough to quit drinking. I quit everything else I like (cheese, coffee, meat ...) but like Jen said, if I am stable--and these days I'm usually pretty stable, thanks to the diet-- then I can definitely cheat a little. A few drinks, sometimes as many as 4, are usually fine. But, has anyone else noticed an increased hangover? I NEVER got hungover in college and I drank a whole lot more. These days I feel it takes a lot less alcohol to give me a buzz in the first place, and then the next day I'm hung over all the way into the evening, as if I'd had a whole lot to drink. My dad thinks this might have something to do with the fact that I eat so little dietary fat, so maybe absorption is affected? Just curious if anyone else has noticed.
PS, this weekend at my brother's wedding (a majorly stressful event, made more so by the fact that I have finals this week) I ate just about everything and I was fine. We went to the bars 3 nights in a row, and on saturday, getting ready with the other bridesmaids, I ate what was served -- ham and cheese sandwiches! I had 2, mustard instead of mayo, and I was actually fine. I stayed away from most of the hors d'oevers (oh yeah, I know I can't spell) at the wedding, which left me with a pretty empty stomach, and I was still pretty much fine. Empty tummy is usually a huge trigger for me. Also maybe just the adrenaline and other feel-good chemicals from the wedding and seeing my boyfriend, helped a lot. I really think, to some extent, that it's just mind over matter. On Sunday, when I got back to NYC, I was feeling pretty off, but still didn't have a severe episode. It's really all about getting stable in general, and then I find I can cheat bigtime when I need to.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#67870 - 05/05/04 12:43 PM
EDK

Going on holidays so sometimes we'll be out eating and perhaps offered a wine or beer, so we shall decline and wait when more comfortable at home. Yes I'll re-read the soluble fibre supplement section. Thanks kindly.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1912 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 740

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review