All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Protein
      #67244 - 05/04/04 07:40 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know a few of you (JenX?) have protein supplements or high-protein diets and I'm considering trying to do this to help my fatigue and lack of stamina. D'you think it would help? Is doing a high-protein, IBS-safe diet difficult? I can't even find soy cheese to eat round here.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Protein new
      #67261 - 05/04/04 08:24 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'm curious about this too. Does it make you gain weight as well?

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#67290 - 05/04/04 09:29 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i want to clarify- i don't follow "a high protein diet." not in the least! i do, however, add a soy-based protein supplement to my smoothie in the morning. it was helping before (making me less fatigued), now i'm not so sure. besides, the results were always pretty short-acting. after about 4 hours i was zapped again! i tried to have some kind of protein with each meal (which i slack off on sometimes), like chicken or tofu or black beans (which i can tolerate on my good days).

here's the supplement i use: thread on soy protein supplement

--------------------

#67291 - 05/04/04 09:34 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

I need protein too! The protein powder my mom got had milk protein in it too, so my sister is gonna use that...and so did the rice cheese. AAAAAAAAAAhhh this fly keeps on flying into my ear and it hurts! It needs to pick on something it's own size. Okay...I got a little off track...so yes...I need protein, too so maybe I won't be as tired...maybe we can try it together . I'll just have to find the right protein powder!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Naturade 100% Soy Protein Powder. lovely stuff. -nt- new
      #67310 - 05/04/04 10:13 AM
jenX

--------------------

Re: Naturade 100% Soy Protein Powder. lovely stuff. -nt- new
      #67322 - 05/04/04 10:24 AM
tarabara04

Yes..see...that's what I put on the shopping list put something else came home. Ahh..next time. Thanks Jen..I'll get it eventually

--------------------

Jennifer new
      #67325 - 05/04/04 10:26 AM
tarabara04

You know what's funny?! YOu know how you told me about that Whole Foods place on Telegraph? Well that same day my mom had to bring me to the dr. b/c it turned out i got a sinus infection and on the way back from the dr's office I saw the store! The next day my mom went shopping there When I get all my energy back I'm going to go there! Oh..and at the Safeway near me they have a whole section of these premade ibs-safe vegetarian meals..I'm in heaven! Thanks Jennifer!

--------------------

no problem. new
      #67326 - 05/04/04 10:27 AM
jenX

i've found that just about everything else has milk or too many calories. you MAY have to check a health food store, not the regular grocery store. or there are a few places online that sell it. just plug it in Google! it's my experience that the websites really are fast at shipping. sometimes it's there before i log off the computer!

--------------------

Thanks..I'll try that-nt- new
      #67335 - 05/04/04 10:36 AM
tarabara04

--------------------

Soy Products for suspect Endo women new
      #67342 - 05/04/04 10:57 AM
Katy6170

Reged: 03/31/04
Loc: New Jersey

I just wanted to let you all know a little tidbit of info I've come across. It seems to me that many women who experience IBS may be experiencing Endometriosis-like symptoms as well. Take it with a grain of salt, I still love my soy, but,
If you suspect that some of your IBS symptoms may be endometriosis-related (if they vary with your period, etc.) then be wary with soy powders, meat substitutes and the like. Two isoflavones found in soy, genistein and daidzen are said to 'demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid'.That last sentence is rather important for women with endometriosis.
The normal feremented soy products, miso soup (which is wonderful for you, and a great substitute for Top Ramen), tempeh and soy sauce are ok, but the modern processing methods of soy can be harmful to women who have or suspect endo. So powders, tofu dogs, even TVP can be harmful to endo-sufferers.
But if you know you don't have endometriosis, it still may be good to stick with soy products that are as close to their natural state as possible. The less processing, the better it is for you!
Hope that is useful to you.
I found some information on this on www.endo-resolved.com, if you are interested.
-Katy

Whole Foods new
      #67419 - 05/04/04 01:30 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

You're gonna think you died and went to heaven when you find out all the substitutions they sell! I am still finding new stuff at that store that is so yummy!

Are the pre-made vegetarian stuff Amy's Kitchen or Linda McCarthy? Only problem you have to watch out for is the cheese they stick in there! Otherwise, they have some really yummy foods.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Whole Foods new
      #67480 - 05/04/04 03:15 PM
tarabara04

I just realized they aren't frozen..they're refrigerated and they're called Yves and then there are two other brands. But thanks for the warning about the cheese. When I was double checking a veggie burger (luckily i double checked it) it had cheese in it . Oh well..yeah I can't wait to go to that Whole Foods place. Well thanks for letting me in on it HOpe you're doing well!

--------------------

#67543 - 05/04/04 07:14 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Yes, Linz, I'm doing the high protein thing. It's helped me with energy, but it took a few weeks for it 'kick in'. According to my dietitian, it's pretty normal to feel worse for the first week or two, then by the third week you should have tons of energy. It's no problem with the IBS diet--I just eat my SF first, like always. But, my IBS got worse the first week, though not unbearably so. Since then, it's actually been better (except for the attack I brought on by cheating ). I've been sleeping better and waking more refreshed too. No insomnia in over a month and way less anxiety. I'm eating chicken, fish, tofu, turkey, peanut butter, and I use a soy protein powder in smoothies and in yogurt. Let me know if you've got more questions

--------------------
--Julie

#67563 - 05/04/04 07:58 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I have 2 protein powders, and BOTH are totally gross! Why must protein powders always taste icky? Do good tasting ones actually exist?

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1715

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review