Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Easy Vegetables
      #66877 - 05/02/04 06:08 PM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Hi Guys,
I was just wondering what vegetables were easiest on your stomachs. I know i need to work in more insoluble fibers, but I was wondering, out of those, which ones are better. I just know i need to be getting more vitamins. Okay..thanks guys. I like zucchini if it's REALLY mushy.
Thanks!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Easy Vegetables new
      #66892 - 05/02/04 07:39 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I do ok with cooked carrots, and I've had cooked sugar snap peas that were yummy. Skinny mashed potatoes, which is on the recipe board, is yummy; that's one of my favorites. I personally end up eating more fruits than veggies because I love rice milk smoothies (mango, peach, and strawberry) and I love canned fruit (peaches and pears mostly)

Good luck!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Easy Vegetables, hiya tarabara new
      #66902 - 05/02/04 08:52 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Spuds is good, and there's 85,000 good ways to fix spuds. Then there's spud-like veggies, e.g. yams and sweet taters and squash and summer squash and so on. The nice thing about them is that you can cook them till they're nice and tender (unlike corn) without totally nuking the nutritional value!

Try a quickie stir-saute deal on summer squashes and zukes: spray a hot skillet with canola spray, toss in some thin-sliced young (not very wide) zucchinis or summer squashes, add a little onion or tomato if you like that, stir it around over medium high heat, and grate in a little bit of fine-grated toast crumbs, sprinkle with black pepper or nutmeg or fresh cilantro, then (optional) sprinkle with grated cheese or cheese substitute, toss it onto your plate and dive in.

If raw vegetables are hard on you, splash this with a bit of water or white wine or fruit juice and slap a lid on it and shut the heat off and wait five minutes.

#66903 - 05/02/04 08:53 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I really love summer squash, zuchinni, asparagus, and artichokes and can handle them really well. I also find that carrots, green peppers, and cucumbers that are peeled are easy to eat and very yummy!

--------------------

Re: hiya tarabara new
      #66904 - 05/02/04 08:54 PM
KellyAndersson

By the way, how'd the Stanford visit go??
My stepson and his wifeypie are Stanford grads, congrats bigtime to you for being in the running there, that's impressive!!!!!!!!!!!! Didja like it?

Re: Easy asparagus new
      #66905 - 05/02/04 09:02 PM
KellyAndersson

You could do this with a silverstone skillet, but you REALLY should use cast iron.

Get the skillet hot, add a tsp of olive oil and a tsp of butter. If you can't do fats at all, use a nonstick skillet and add 2 tbsp water to a hot skillet.

Put in a tbsp or so of sesame seeds and a half teaspon or so of minced garlic. Stir this around and then add trimmed asparagus (take off the woody inch or two on the bottom of the stems). Stir if necessary, just a bit ... you don't want to COOK the asparagus, just heat it up with the sesame and garlic till it's hot all the way through and dark/bright green (not pale any more). When it is, sprinkle it (just barely) with malt vinegar or balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, then drizzle it lightly with honey, stir it once more and put it on a plate and eat it up.

If you have any left over (hahahahahaa) it's pretty good chilled for lunch tomorrow or cut up into an omelette or a tortilla wrap.

My galpal Stephanie and I ate up an entire huge skillet of this all by ourselves one night. Works really well with fresh green beans and broccoli too, especially delicious if you can do olive oil!

Re: Easy Veggies new
      #66906 - 05/02/04 09:19 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Hi Tarabara,

When I cook squash and zucchini, I have to peel them first, if they are not young and tender, I slice them open and scrape out the seeds. I then chop them up and cook them in a skillet with a little EVOO! I have a garlic/herb seasoning mix that I love to stir into this, it is great served on a bed of rice.

I also love baked sweet potatos and english peas. I split open the potato and spoon the peas right in, for me, this is very yummy!!

I cannot do canned fruits because of the HFCS. I do intend to try some of the smoothies though. good luck with school honey!!

Re: hiya tarabara new
      #66999 - 05/03/04 09:51 AM
tarabara04

Thanks so much for all of the helpful information about the veggies! SOunds yummy! I'm gonna try out the recipes The Stanford visit went great! Thanks for asking I love the place...the campus is beautiful and there are so many wonderful classes offered and..I just love the atmosphere. It's like going to school on a farm..kind of..lol. Yay for your stepson and his wife! Go Cardinal!

--------------------

#67001 - 05/03/04 09:55 AM
tarabara04

Thanks Melitami,
I'll try doing cooked carrots..and I've always been a potato fan so I'll check out that recipe. I'll try smoothies too..I guess I"m just kind of nervous about raw fruits..but I guess if I start adding them slowly and I put banana in the smoothie also..it shouldn't be too bad. Well..thanks for the advice! I hope your shaking and headaches are better! Thanks!

--------------------

#67002 - 05/03/04 09:56 AM
tarabara04

Thanks Spicey! I think I'll pick some of those up the next time I go to the grocery store! Thanks so much!

--------------------

Re: Easy Veggies new
      #67003 - 05/03/04 09:58 AM
tarabara04

Thanks so much for the great tips! Sounds yummy! I'm gonna try them Mmmm. Thanks so much for giving me some ideas..I'm not so lost now And thanks for the good luck with school Have a great week!

--------------------

no problem!! i hope you enjoy! new
      #67008 - 05/03/04 10:11 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

#67065 - 05/03/04 12:48 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

I really love summer squash, zuchinni, asparagus, and artichokes and can handle them really well. I also find that carrots, green peppers, and cucumbers that are peeled are easy to eat and very yummy!

You can eat cucumber??!! I get reflux just being in the same room with it!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#67080 - 05/03/04 01:27 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Quote:

You can eat cucumber??!! I get reflux just being in the same room with it!!

LOL! I'm with you, Laura. I couldn't even eat cukes pre-IBS!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#67082 - 05/03/04 01:31 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi tarabara! Like some others have said, my safest veggies are potatoes (including sweet potatoes), carrots, and squash (acorn, butternut, zucchini, etc.). I can also handle green beans, asparagus, and peas in smaller amounts. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be eating broccoli or cauliflower ever again, they just don't settle well with me. If you want to see some of my favorite ways to prepare veggies check out the veggie section of my page here.

Also, you said you like zucchini if it's really mushy... does this sound like something you'd like? Obviously you'd want to use egg whites in place of the eggs and soy cheddar cheese... and I'd only use a few Tbsp of soy margarine.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#67093 - 05/03/04 01:45 PM
Olgis

Reged: 02/04/03

Loved your comment on cukes..I am the same way with onions and peppers..put me in the same room and I bloat..

The veggie recipes are great..going to try the zucchini/tomato/cilantro/carrot combo over steamed rice tonight..thanks..

Olgis

#67098 - 05/03/04 02:04 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

oh no! that sucks.. cucumbers are my FAVORITE.. and I can eat an entire one at a time.. I also don't get indigestion or acid reflux at all.. so maybe thats why i can tolerate them.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1991 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1582

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review