All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Apple,Strawberry,or Raspberry Newtons
      #66874 - 05/02/04 06:04 PM
itsnotfair123

Reged: 04/23/04

Hi. As lots of you know by now, I need more fat in my diet. I usually have a vienna finger with 2% lactaid and almonds at night. Well, I was thinking maybe I should try a new cookie. I have tryed graham crackers, but I thought maybe apple, strawberry or raspberry Newtons would be good (I hate Fig Newtons) what do you guys think? (Of course, my parents wouldn't let me get low fat or fat free cookies, even though those are better for me)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Apple,Strawberry,or Raspberry Newtons new
      #66893 - 05/02/04 07:42 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.

Did you get a chance to check out the How Calories Work? Here's something you can hopefully use in there with your parents:

"Lots of people wonder if it matters where their calories come from. At its most basic, if we eat exactly the number of calories that we burn and if we're only talking about weight, the answer is no -- a calorie is a calorie. A protein calorie is no different from a fat calorie -- they are simply units of energy. As long as you burn what you eat, you will maintain your weight; and as long as you burn more than you eat, you'll lose weight.

But if we're talking nutrition, it definitely matters where those calories originate. Carbohydrates and proteins are healthier sources of calories than fats. Although our bodies do need a certain amount of fat to function properly -- an adequate supply of fat allows your body to absorb the vitamins you ingest -- an excess of fat can have serious health consequences "

Can you talk to your parents? I'm sure they're really worried about you. See if they will compromise with you. Tell them you will eat fat, but you want to eat the kind that is healthy fat. And, you don't want your meals/snacks to be over 25% fat. (To figure the percent fat, divide the fat calories into the total calories. If something has 20 fat calories, and is 150 total calories, that would be 13% fat.)

Do you like salmon? Salmon is a fattier fish and if you can tolerate it with some soluble like rice, there's some extra fat. Or how about guacamole? Just make your own, because a lot of the store brands add dairy (I hate that! ) and eat it with baked Tostitos. Heather has an awesome recipe in EFI for guacamole. Oh yeah - avocado is fattier also, so you can get healthy fats in that way.

You want to get extra "safe" calories to gain weight. If you keep eating triggers (bad, too high fats) it's like a vicious cycle where you make yourself sick, which causes you to lose weight.

Do you cook? Can you make yourself some homemade quick breads or muffins? Snacking on them can add up the calories. Or make some homemade Rice Krispies Treats. (use canola oil instead of butter)

Oh, and I'm not sure about those Newtons. I think some people can tolerate them. I'm not sure of the ingredients.

Sorry if I've been rambling on here, but it just breaks my heart to see you suffering so bad. Hope you can figure something out.

#66973 - 05/03/04 08:34 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi! I eat the apple newtons and they have no affect on me! Try just a couple to see what happens! Good luck! Sue

#67135 - 05/03/04 03:46 PM
itsnotfair123

Reged: 04/23/04

Thanks, you guys are really sweet.

No matter how much I talk to my parents, they won't listen to me. They just say I'm "resisting" and I don't want to get better! So, I might as well give up and let them give me that dumb Beef Pattie from Stew Leanords, right? Ugh, I HATE being in this position!

Also, I'm VERY constipated and my parents say it's because I don't have enough food in me, but I know that's not true because I do! Does anyone have any constipation suggestions? I'm not really allowed to get much exercise or else I'll "lose calories" and "not gain weight." I think that's another reason why I'm not pooping...

#67149 - 05/03/04 05:03 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Seems to me if you are constipated you should be eating the Fig newtons, not strawberry or apple. Better yet is raisins or prunes. And plenty of water, of course. Hope you feel better!

Amy

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 955

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review