Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

May 2004, Volume 31 / Number 4
Center for Science in the Public Interest

SREVIA

Also known as:

Sweet Leaf, Honey Leaf

What is it?

An extract from a shrub that grows in Brazil and Paraguay.

Why is it lo-calorie:

Or bodies can't metabolize stevia.

Safety:

When male rats were fed high doses of stevioside (stevia's active ingredient) for 22 months, they produced fewer sperm and there was increased cell proliferation in their testicles, which could cause infertility. And when female hamsters were fed large amounts of the derivative of stevioside, they had fewer and smaller offspring. That----combined with the absence of other animal studies that are normally required for food additives—led the FDA, Health Canada, and the European Union, and the World Health Organization to conclude that stevia shouldn't be allowed in food.

Comments:

Stevia can't be used as an ingredient in food. But can be sold as a supplement, since safety rules for supplements are looser than for foods. Stevia is promoted by the health-food industry as a natural alternative to synthetic sweeteners like saccharin, aspartame, and sucralose. But "natural" doesn't automatically mean "safe".

Although Stevia is widely used in Asian countries I now question if it is as safe to use as once thought. Not only that, if we can't metabolise it, then it acts somewhat like fructose which is metabolized at an extremely low rate.

What this says to me is that possibly stevia shouldn't be included as a safe sugar alternatives in people with IBS.

Any comments?

Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: STEVIA, a new prospective new
      #66731 - 05/02/04 08:35 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Well, that bites!

I've been wanting to try stevia to sweeten without calories, but now I don't think so.

Thanks Kandee.

#66787 - 05/02/04 12:12 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03

You're welcome Mags.

In this entire article it indicated Sucralose (Splenda) was the one that caused the least harm, however, even though it is sugar (sucrose) chemically combined with clhlorine our bodies can't burn sucralose for energy. The label, "made from sugar" is technically true, but misleading.

I think I, for one, will stick with sucrose just in more reduced amounts.

Kandee

--------------------

#66791 - 05/02/04 12:21 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Thanks for the info, Kandee. You're right, Stevia certainly doesn't sound like the safest alternative...

But that's okay, because I love sugar anyway. Lol.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#66832 - 05/02/04 02:43 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Everything causes cancer, as Joe Jackson once sang! Seriously, many many things are toxic in large amounts but beneficial in small amounts. Aspirin can cause intestinal bleeding and death. Alcohol poisoning deaths happen every year at fraternities somewhere. Some sun is needed to make Vitamin D, but too much causes skin cancer, or heat stroke.

I think that moderation is almost always the key, unless it's something you are violently allergic to like bee stings or peanuts or apples (like me). Side effects should always be taken with a grain of salt and benefits weighed against the minuses.

Just my humble opinion. (I still use Equal but only in very small amounts - don't tell on me, okay??!!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#66920 - 05/03/04 06:11 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Well, I think Stevia is disgusting anyway! I personally use Splenda and think it tastes the best, and I don't notice any adverse reactions!

#73327 - 05/25/04 01:28 PM
tiredofibs

Reged: 10/16/03
Loc: NC

Oh shoot, that sounds terrible. I didn't know all this before I got my free samples of Stevia in the mail. It was actually the Stevia Plus Fiber, but I don't know if it's okay for IBS. I used it on my strawberries and I don't remember anything happening. I've also used Splenda and haven't had any problems with that.

Stevia Plus

Stevia

#73340 - 05/25/04 01:51 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03

From what I've read, Splenda is suppose to be the safest. It all depends on how your IBS reacts to it.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review