All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
bladder troubles/heartburn/safe foods...
      #66608 - 05/01/04 12:38 PM
Punky

Reged: 02/14/04
Loc: Arizona

I have a couple questions about bladder troubles/heartburn/safe foods. I haven't posted in awhile...slacker...so the've piled up. Anyway, I have been fighting "this" for about a year and a half now and I have noticed a progression of my symptoms, new ones showing up. Maybe this just has to do with the plethera of medications, who knows. But I'm having really weird and annoying bladder problems, I'm only 19 so this is frusterating. Along with having an immediate urgency to go and a lack of control, I get bad pain where my bladder is and even after I run to the bathroom this pain persists for a good hour after and it doesn't empty all the way as it should. Does anyone relate to this? Any suggestions? On another subject, I've been taking the peppermint capsules to try and help my IBS. They seem to give me heartburn though, something that I didn't have when my IBS first began. I've tried varying when I take them-before meals, with meals, after meals to see if that changed anything but no luck. I have also noticed that even when I'm eating only the safest foods recomended here I get heartburn as well. I absolutely love Heather's honey chex mix but for whatever reason that gives me heartburn now and I don't understand why as it never did before. At first I thought I could trace it to something that was "unsafe" but that's not the case. So....help?? I'm a bit confused and frusterated to say the least....

--------------------
"He has put His angels in charge of you to watch over you where ever you go."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bladder troubles/heartburn/safe foods... new
      #66692 - 05/02/04 05:19 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

sorry you're having these problems. you know, i never got heartburn, either, 'til i discovered that's my reaction to peppermint (tea, caps). UCK! i don't really have an answer for you on that, except to say i stopped with the caps and it went away. i switched to fennel tea and have been quite happy. (i didn't think i'd like the taste but after a few days i quickly grew to like it)

you may find that you heartburn problems disappear if you stop with the caps and tea. if you stop it and are still having such terrible heartburn, you probably should go back to the doctor and tell him what's going on, 'cause chronic heartburn isn't healthy for your tissues inside and of course it's also a big bummer. by the way, i'm also suggesting you call your doc about the peeing thing, 'cause he/she will probably want to see a urine culture. sounds to me like you've got yourself a bladder infection! my doctor usually just orders the test from a phone call (i am in there enough as it is!) and then when the results are in, i just go pick up whatever antibiotic gets called in to the pharmacy. note: i am not a doctor or a nurse, so i could be wrong about the bladder infection, i'm just saying that sounds like my symptoms when i get them...

oh, by the way, if you do a search here or on the web, you can probably find a list of other foods and drinks that can cause/aggrevate heartburn. you may need to avoid those for a while, too. (i know tomatoe sauce and citrus fruits, but not any others)

good luck!

--------------------

#66800 - 05/02/04 12:35 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Punky, and welcome.

Ditto to everything Jen said. I also get heartburn from too much peppermint tea or caps, although an occasional cup is sometimes just what the doctor ordered. And Jen's right, tomato sauce and citrus can do it to until it's healed up again.

Sorry things are so frustrating for you. Hang in there and keep us posted, okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#66823 - 05/02/04 01:39 PM
Punky

Reged: 02/14/04
Loc: Arizona

Thanks for the help guys....you're my sanity....why haven't I done this sooner?

--------------------
"He has put His angels in charge of you to watch over you where ever you go."

#66907 - 05/02/04 09:34 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I am so glad to see I am not the only person having a bladder reaction to the peppermint tea, not that I wish to see anyone suffer. I drank loads of iced peppermint tea last week, and now I am suffering terribly. I think I may have a UTI, I too will be calling my doc tomorrow for some anti-b's. Taking a warm sitz bath really helps with the feeling of urgency, and pain. I just cant pee, I run to the bathroom constantly only to pass a few tiny drops. Thank goodness for the AZO, tomorrow I am also going to pick up some cranberry capsules. THey may end up being a maintenace thing for me. Good luck honey!

#68619 - 05/07/04 04:26 PM
rosey

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: Roseville, CA

Gigi,
Your symptoms sound like mine. That ache after and hard to pee. Definately see a Dr as it may be a possible UTI (Urinary Tract Infection). It may not be but you can at least rule that out. I've been to 2 urologist with the bladder pain problem and was told I likely have IBS (as I was bloated too) and now am free of those symptoms by eliminating foods that aggrivate that. However, my bladder was still hurting and I've since found that IBS-safe foods can be irritating to your bladder. You may want to look into IC (Interstital Cysitis) on the web. Here's a good site I found which is helping a lot:

Interstital site

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Rosey

Rosie the Angel new
      #68672 - 05/07/04 08:50 PM
gigi

Rosey, thanks so much for the info., I am going straight to the site, I have enough Azo,cranberry fruit capsules, and water to help me make it to Monday. You are right I am sure it is a UTI.

I am recovering from abdominal surgery, 6 weeks. I have felt this coming on, but I ignored it. Not smart.

I appeciate you and your help. Thanks.

------------

Don't tell God how big your storm is, tell the storm how big your God is !!!

Re: Rosie the Angel new
      #68674 - 05/07/04 09:28 PM
gigi

oops, Rosey. I am so sorry. Gayla

Rosey the Angel, I goofed -nt- new
      #68675 - 05/07/04 09:30 PM
gigi

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2643 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1138

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review