All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
GAS - HOW TO EAT?
      #66535 - 05/01/04 04:39 AM
fatgirl1

Reged: 11/04/03

REALLY NEED HELP- IHAVE TRIED THIS DIET- EAT NO WHEAT-DAIRY- TAKE PROBIOTICS- NO MATTER WHAT I HAVE BIG TIME GAS. WENT TO MY DR.- NOTHING WRONG WITH TESTS- JUST IBS- ANY SUGGESTIONS? THE WORSE IS VEGETABLES( ESPECIALLY BROCOLLAI( TRIED BEANO-FENNEL TEA, ONE COULD SAY = GIVE UP BROCOLLAI- BUT ARE THE CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES ANTI- CANCER- SO ANY THOUGHTS ON ALL THIS. SOCIALLY THIS GAS IS BAD NEWS. THANKS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GAS - HOW TO EAT? new
      #66537 - 05/01/04 05:55 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

I would stay away from broccoli and cauliflower they cause GAS. i suffered so bad in March all I could eat was plain pasta and plain rice. I switched my meds and doing good. Try some yoga and keep drinking the fennel tea. Stick to carrots and some safer foods for a bit.

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

#66696 - 05/02/04 05:36 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Hi.

you say you have tried this diet. how long have you been doing it? do you make sure you're having soluble fiber with each meal? how about the way you're eating the veggies--- are they cooked? are they chopped up small? because that's the only way you may be able to tolerate them.

if you haven't incorporated a soluble fiber supplement, you should do so. i found that went a long way to reducing the bloating and gas i was experiencing. i also found that i'm more "socially acceptable" when i'm not eating wheat. when you select your soluble fiber supplement, make sure it doesn't have psyllium in it, as some people react strongly to that (bloating, gas). once you get the right soluble fiber supplement for you and work your way up (slowly) to the right dose for you, you will find that this problem is less of a problem! meanwhile, invest in a tiny can of air freshener. i used to joke that i was going to wear those pine tree fresheners as earrings!

--------------------

#66806 - 05/02/04 12:48 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Jen, you are SO funny. BTW, my favorite air freshner scent is Lysol White Linen!

Fatgirl (cute name), you're right that broccoli and other cruciferous veggies have some important health benefits, but if we can't tolerate them it's not worth it. Personally I've found that if I chop the broccoli up fine and mix about 1/3 cup into 1 cup of rice, I do okay.

I also take two Gas-X or Phazyme EVERY morning just in case.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69624 - 05/11/04 05:28 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I know all about gas. I have severe gas. I take Altoids,Acacia Beano,drink peppermint and fennel tea, work out, follow Heather's diet, take probiotics and I still have severe gas. Mine is so bad I can only eat a small amount of food each day. The bloating is so severe I look like I'm pregnant. I also have severe gas cramps, fullness pressure and gas pains. Everything only helps a little. It's a complete nightmare.

#69676 - 05/11/04 08:50 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

OMgosh, for so long I thought I was the only one suffering from the gas thing. I love broccoli and carrots, eat them seldom. They both give me such gas, chopping the broccoli into tiny peices, I do that with squash, why havent I done it with the other vegetables, go figure. I eat rice every day, I am going to try LS suggestion and mix them together. Hope I can tollerate it.

I have to take Hyoscyamine every day, I have tried all of the otc's and they do not help. The hyo saves me, I panic if I run out of it. It doesnt help the bloating, but it sure does help the gas, it is the only thing I have found to control it.

Are you drinking carbonated water? I bloat big time when I drink it. I have not felt that the peppermint caps help me with the gas, though it does help others.

------------

Dont tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big your God is !!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 659 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review