All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Types of rice?
      #66502 - 04/30/04 06:45 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Tonight my IBS is acting up, and I think it's cause I ate a bunch of brown rice with dinner. I haven't had it in a long while, and I kinda thought it might be a bit of a trigger but now I know it is. I have a question though, what kind of rice do they use in the boxes of flavored rice? Cause I usually just get those, and I'm ok with that. I don't think it's just white rice cause I notice they usually have some fiber in it. Is that wild rice? What's the difference?

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Types of rice? new
      #66527 - 05/01/04 01:03 AM
Tootsie

Reged: 12/03/03
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I think those boxes mix wild rice with white rice so they are not so potent.

#66539 - 05/01/04 05:57 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

Ive been eating Jasmine and Basmati they are nice from the plain ol rice and don't bother me.

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

#66684 - 05/01/04 11:27 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Do they have fiber in it?

--------------------
IBS-C

#66792 - 05/02/04 12:21 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

My thought is this is the old soluble, insoluble issue. White rice is just soluble fiber because the outside husk has been milled away. Therefore it is very easy to digest and one of our staples when trying to get stable.

However, once we're stable we HAVE to have SOME insoluble fiber for general health reasons.

Brown rice is white rice that hasn't been milled to have the husk removed. Since the husk is pure insoluble fiber, brown rice is a mix of soluble and insoluble. Since eating too much brown rice triggered your IBS, you could try mixing 1/3 brown with 2/3 white next time for example as a great easy way to get some of your insoluble without challenging your tummy too much.

As far as the boxed flavored rices like Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice, wild rice is actually not rice, it's another grain entirely but has always been called wild rice. It too is a mix of soluble and insoluble, but since it's mixed with long grain white rice, it's easier to digest.

The PROBLEM with the flavored rices is that almost all of them have MSG in them by some name or another. So if you're sensitive to MSG you might want to be a little careful.

Hope that made some sense!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Edited by Heather (05/02/04 02:36 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 576

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review