Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
chocolate questions
      #66337 - 04/30/04 10:41 AM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

can we eat chocolate IN things? like
the luna bars that are chocolate or chai?
how about the chocolate outers of the tofutti ice cream sandwhiches?
i mean, i understand the baking cocoa concept for baking browies/cookies etc - but what about these other forms of chocolate?

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: chocolate questions new
      #66344 - 04/30/04 10:52 AM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Things with cocoa in them are just fine. It's the dairy that is the problem...so.... if the chocolate has any milk products in them it's a definite NO.

The Tofutti Cuties or other Soy ice creams or sweets with cocoa are safe to eat.

you have come to the right place, my dear! new
      #66345 - 04/30/04 10:53 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i don't eat those luna bars anymore, but i'm quite familiar with the Tofutti Cuties.

i can handle them just fine... but i eat them after soluble fiber. Heather even says in her book that there's no way she would give up chocolate and she eats a little after her soluble fiber laden dinner.

as for the Luna bars, i would see how you tolerate them. maybe i'd steer clear on days i was feeling iffy, but on a good solid stable day, maybe go for it. see what happens! of course, it would be best if you did it with/after some soluble fiber, but i realize those are meal bars or snack bars, so eating them with a meal defeats the purpose, eh?

by the way, i heart chocolate A LOT!

--------------------

Re: chocolate questions new
      #66373 - 04/30/04 11:23 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Other than dairy (as Jen mentioned), the main reason Heather says to avoid solid chocolate is the huge amounts of fat. But if you find products that contain chocolate and are still low in fat (and dairy-free, of course) they should be fine! Personally, I've recently become addicted to almost every type of Luna bar and haven't had a single one bother me!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Luna Bars new
      #66404 - 04/30/04 12:27 PM
Ericasmom

Loc: Arizona

OK-I have heard a lot about Luna bars on here, but have never tried one. What are some of the best flavors? What about Power Bars? Are they OK? Has anyone had trouble with them?

Thanks, Amy

--------------------

Gr8tful - animals!!? new
      #66419 - 04/30/04 01:09 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Are these pictures you post, ones you have actually taken??

They are the cutiest things I have seen!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Re: Gr8tful - animals!!? new
      #66420 - 04/30/04 01:10 PM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Bethany, I have asked Gr8ful that twice now, but still haven't gotten an answer. I was wondering the same thing! Did she just get them off the internet, or are they personal or what??

#66422 - 04/30/04 01:12 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Not sure - but I just looove 'em!!

Let's hope for a response!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

#66425 - 04/30/04 01:16 PM
supersilks

Luna bars are soy protein bars. before ibs/reflux i had no reason to eat them. lol. but here i am
i bought a few the other day to try since i've never had them because i get light headed if i dont eat protein sometimes. I had one the other day and seemed to do ok with it, it was the orange bliss. I didn't buy the chai or chocolate cuz i wasn't sure..but now that i know that chocolate is ok as long as there is no dairy..chocolate luna bars here i come!!

it is a meal bar...and i had it after a bowl of pasta for lunch.
am going to try that again today so we'll see.

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

Luna Bars new
      #66451 - 04/30/04 02:34 PM
cmuse1224

Reged: 03/13/04
Loc: Peabody, MA

I love the Luna bars! My personal favorite is the chocolate peppermint one!!! yummmmm!!!!

#66455 - 04/30/04 02:45 PM
Ericasmom

OK-so if they're meal bars, and you eat one after a bowl of pasta, wouldn't that be kind of filling? I remember seeing somebody say you should eat things like that with something in your stomach, but don't remember why.

Amy

--------------------

#66457 - 04/30/04 02:48 PM
Ericasmom

May I say that is an adorable picture! How old is the little girl? Anyway, I'm not much of a fan of mint. Do they have plain chocolate or other chocolate flavors? And is it OK to eat one all by itself?

Thanks,

Amy

--------------------

#66460 - 04/30/04 03:21 PM
howiesbuttercup

Reged: 08/20/03

Wish I could say that I loved the Luna bars...had a very bad reaction to the first one I tried. But then I am allergic to yeast, vinegar, and malt and it looks like one of those must've been in it...although I usually check the labels very carefully I must have missed it. So now I have nearly a full box of them and not able to eat them (and they weren't inexpensive either). Maybe hubby or one of the kids will like them.

Shari

#66466 - 04/30/04 03:56 PM
Ericasmom

Oh,that's rough! Gosh, it must be hard to be allergic to all those things. Makes me thankful all I have to avoid is dairy. Someone was trying to sell supplements on here recently..maybe one of these people would buy them off of you! (just kidding!). My only advice would be try one of something first before you buy a whole bunch (but I'm sure you learned that by now!). That's too bad.
Amy

--------------------

#66498 - 04/30/04 06:14 PM
Kree

Quote:

I love the Luna bars! My personal favorite is the chocolate peppermint one!!! yummmmm!!!!

That's my favorite too! I think it's called Peppermint Stick or something like that. But I've also loved Chocolate Pecan Pie and Caramel Apple. Those are the only 3 I've tried so far... but I have more in my cupboard so I'll let you know as soon as I taste them!

So these are supposed to be meal bars? I eat them as desserts and snacks...

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#66499 - 04/30/04 06:19 PM
Kree

Quote:

May I say that is an adorable picture! How old is the little girl? Anyway, I'm not much of a fan of mint. Do they have plain chocolate or other chocolate flavors? And is it OK to eat one all by itself?

Thanks,

Amy

Yep, they have chocolate pecan pie, chocolate cherry (next on my list to try!), nuts about chocolate... and there may be one or two others. Personally, these are very safe for me to eat, even on an empty stomach. They don't contain any dairy and they're fairly low fat, so unless you're unlucky enough to be allergic to some of the ingredients (sorry Shari, that stinks! ) I'd say go for it!

--------------------

#66508 - 04/30/04 07:26 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Hey I'll have to try these - they sound yummy! And I am with Jen on the Tofutti Cuties. They're fantastic!!! I ate a whole box in three days (and they come in packages of eight)

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#66562 - 05/01/04 07:04 AM
supersilks

had my first tofutti cutie last night and LOVED it!

as for the meal bar thing... i had a bowl of pasta and a half a luna bar and it was almost too much food - i felt too full, bordering on maybe getting sick, but i walked around the block and had some tea and felt ok..never became a full blown sick.

i saved the other half and am going to try it as a dessert after dinner tonight. so far i have tried the orange bliss and the lemon zest... i really like these. great for my sweet tooth and the feelings of deprivation i've been having

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

#66582 - 05/01/04 10:04 AM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Sorry,

I thought I responded at one point. Some I have found on the internet and others my friends have sent me. The ones that I like best I've been sharing with you guys.

Here's another:

Leigh

#66618 - 05/01/04 02:40 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

She posted elsewhere that a friend emailed her a bunch of really cute animal pictures from somewhere and she thought she'd share them with us one by one. The teeny monkey is SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#66619 - 05/01/04 02:41 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Leigh, we must have been typing at the same moment!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Tofutti Bars new
      #66632 - 05/01/04 04:35 PM
Ericasmom

Did you find those at the supermarket (I think it's Meyer's there) or did you have to go to a health food store? I have not been able to find any yet.

Amy

--------------------

#66633 - 05/01/04 04:44 PM
Ericasmom

Afraid I'm not much of a "fruit" person. To me, if it's not chocolate, it's not dessert! Don't you hate that "too full" feeling?

Amy

--------------------

Re: Tofutti Bars new
      #66733 - 05/02/04 08:49 AM
supersilks

hey...
i went to Sprouts and got the tofutti cuties - i love them. i've had two so far after very small, safe meals and so far didn't get sick.
i had a half a luna bar the other day tho and started to not feel good so i stopped and saved the other half. lol. will try it again another day.
I start with my new doc on thursday so i'm guessing they're going to order a new ct scan (with no iodine cuz of the breastfeeding issue) - my dh is really thinking this is gallstones/gallbladder and not ibs.
so far the ibs diet is really helping tho and thats all that matters to me

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 471 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4008

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review