All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Breastfeeding and IBS - help needed . newbie :)
      #65596 - 04/28/04 09:53 AM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

Hi there..
am new to the boards here and don't even really have a 'diagnosis' of ibs or celiacs or ..well..anything yet. We're still testing to rule out stuff. But I've been starting to follow the diet for the past two weeks. When I follow it, i'm not sick. When i cheat...well, you get the idea. I also fluctuate between c and d depending i guess on what i'm eating and when i'm eating it.
To top it all off I have thyroid disease (graves. I had rai and basically have no thyroid. i take replacement hormone daily and have like no metabolism)...and i'm breastfeeding my 9mo old son.
I will not wean - he will self wean when ready so thats not an option I'm comfortable with.
That said..here are my qestions.

1. i stopped taking prenatals a few months ago due to my belief that they upset my stomache. But now I feel like what my son is getting has been severely limited until I get this down, so should i add them back in? I'm thinking i'd take them at night to avoid more stomache distress?

2. what veggies are the safest to eat. i know carrots and yams. anything else?

3. where should i be getting my calcium. I don't drink milk, but i've just found lactaid (fat free, lactose free) that is calcium fortified. will that work if i use that in my foods for cooking? can i have it with the "safe" cereals?

4. whats the deal with dried fruits? i know that mango and applesauce are the safest fruits, but what about dried apricots and stuff like that... if i'm in a c episode will they help or harm?

5. anyone else out there with ibs or celiacs or other stomache ailments thats breastfeeding and want to talk me thru some of this??

thanks!

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Breastfeeding and IBS - help needed . newbie :) new
      #65680 - 04/28/04 12:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey Barb!

Heather should have a ful list of safe foods on the site somewhere - can't remember where thought, sorry . I like carrots, muchrooms, avocado, butternut squash, zucchini (well cooked tho), mango, peas (with soluble fibre)... Think that's it. Remember the mush rule - if its mushable, then it should be soluble (ya couldn't mush celery, could ya?).

I get calcium through my calcium enriched soy milk, so if the lactaid's okay for you, then go ahead and cook with it, etc. 'Fraid I don't know much about how the Vits/Minerals interact with IBS...some of the others are experts!

I think dried fruit are pretty high in insoluble fibre, but I'm okay with a little bit of raisins. Maybe chopping the apricots would help???

See ya around

#65710 - 04/28/04 01:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards. I know how you feel about breastfeeding - I breastfed both my children, although not as long as yourself. As for nutrients in the breast milk, did you know that if you don't get enough in your diet, your body will actually TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR BODY to provide it in the breast milk. So don't worry about your baby. He should be getting all he needs. Ask your Doctor if you're worried about vitamins etc.

But, since it can leave you deficient, you need to be eating as many fruits and veggies as possible. Soy milk is amazing (try Silk brand chocolate).
Since your baby is older, colic is not an issue, so you shouldn't limit your diet in terms of gassy veggies (ie. onions, cabbage, broccoli.) As a rule of thumb, if it's mashable, it's more soluble fiber which is good. Always cook, mash, puree or peel. The mushier the better - applesauce, sweet potatoes (a champion in vitamins), squash, potatoes, carrots, etc. Try the less mashable in small quantities. Ie. fruit pureed in a soy smoothie - soy milk, banana, strawberries, and honey.
Any more questions, just ask. Your son must be about the same age as my daughter. She's almost 9 months! I only wish I could have been still breastfeeing like you. Give yourself a pat on the back!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#65718 - 04/28/04 02:20 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Quote:

As for nutrients in the breast milk, did you know that if you don't get enough in your diet, your body will actually TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR BODY to provide it in the breast milk. So don't worry about your baby. He should be getting all he needs.

I was going to tell you this in the Living Room post but I couldn't remember if it was true. Thank you Hans. I knew you would have the information. It's just been quite a while since I was at this stage. It's like starting over, which I am more than happy about.

#65823 - 04/28/04 09:43 PM
supersilks

yes i think i knew that but needed the reassurance
I'm a lactivist lol... i'm an activist for breastfeeding

mashed and pureed.
i have no idea what triggered me today..but then again i don't even know if this is reflux or gastritis or ibs flare up or what it is.

today i ate toast for breakfast. then i had graham crackers and applesauce for snack. I had pretzels and a few dried mango slices before lunch ..cuz we were at a playgroup and i was still hungry. Drank a ton of water.
lunch was tuna with fat free mayo on pita bread.
then i had a piece of french bread with marmalad later in the day.
dinner was pasta with smart margarine, sweet potatoes and just a few bites of a baked pork chop
i've had some green chinese tea and crackers

and here i sit at 9:45 nauseous as all get out. some heartburn , some belly pain and totally gassy/bloated.
ugh

going back to the basics again tomorrow i guess. soluble fats only for a few days

i really thought i was doing ok

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

#65844 - 04/29/04 05:14 AM
Linz

It's soluble FIBRES not fats, Barb!

At a guess...either the dried fruit or the pork or the margarine would be the culprits - or just having all of them in one day!

Btw, herbal tea's better than green tea.

#66092 - 04/29/04 05:35 PM
supersilks

bought myself a bunch of herbal tea today so thats fixed
so i shouldn't have meat every night with dinner eh?
and no dried fruit.

sheesh this is tough. lol

and i meant soluble fiber lol not fat. lol

i'm such a geek.
then i went out and bought this "ibx soothing bowel formula" stuff. too bad i didn't read the label . "do not use if pregnant or nursing"
i took the safety seal off but never opened the jar. jhoping they'll take it back. stuff was $15~!~~

i really need to get a handle on this. lol

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk

Barb new
      #66106 - 04/29/04 05:59 PM
Linz

You can have some meat, but NOT pork! Try chicken or turkey (without the skin) or fish - I love eating fish.

Good luck with the herbal teas! Don't worry, you'll get the hang of all this in no time at all.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 917

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review