All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
After eliminating wheat/flour... how long till stable?
      #65452 - 04/27/04 08:42 PM
FennelHead

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: S. California

OK, i have NO idea if it IS the wheat/flour triggering me right now, but my bloating and G is driving me CRAAAZZYY. i feel like my body is one big air manufacturer... anyway, the only thing i think it could be is wheat/flour, because it's the one thing i eat fairly consistently, and since i have the bloat/G every single freaking day of my life, i dunno... this morning i had a plain toasted bagel & some pretzel sticks, and like clockwork, 5 hours later i had a giant belly. i know it wasn't #2 b/c this morning pretty much took care of that... so it seems the only way to be sure is to cut it out completely for a while, but i'm wondering, if i cut out wheat/flour, don't eat the things that i know bother me (onions, broccoli, eggplant, fried stuff, etc.), how long roughly until my G subsides and i feel at least SOMEwhat normal??? This is seriously killing me. i'm so sick of having to stay in every single freaking night because of constant G............ UGH!!!

oh yeah, i've been drinking nonstop fennel, peppermint, camomile, etc. tea and nothing's helping...

--------------------
julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: After eliminating wheat/flour... how long till stable? new
      #65475 - 04/28/04 05:28 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

after i gave up the obvious sources of gluten, i noticed a change in about 3 days, but an even bigger improvement after 7 days.

i'd been relatively gluten-free for about 2 months 'til this week, then i cheated with some brownies and cookies several times this week. (shhh... don't tell the losers!) and WHAM! back came the gas and bloating. i've been socially unacceptable all week. (but boy did those cheat foods taste YUM!)

in addition to the gluten, i don't have oatmeal. some GF people do, some don't. i have always known that was a trigger for me.

--------------------

#65541 - 04/28/04 08:27 AM
FennelHead

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: S. California

Thanks! One more Q: When people say "gluten", is that different than regular old white flour? i know some veggie burgers and stuff specifically say "wheat gluten", so i'm a little confused as to what exactly is meant by gluten free. i think personally, i may be sensitive to anything made from the wheat plant, so this is just more of a curiosity than something i really need to know... i think! anyway, thanks!

--------------------
julia

#65555 - 04/28/04 08:54 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

gluten is a protein (really a combination of proteins) found in wheat, and sometimes people have a difficult time with it. they don't have the right enzymes that break down the protein.

From celiac.com:

Quote:

When celiac patients talk about "gluten-free" or a "gluten-free diet," they are actually talking about food or a diet free of the harmful peptides from wheat, rye, barley, and (possibly) oats. This means eliminating virtually all foods made from these grains (e. g., food starch when it is prepared from wheat, and malt when it comes from barley) regardless of whether these foods contain gluten in the very strict sense. Thus, "gluten-free" has become shorthand for "foods that don't harm celiacs."

Quote:

The following is a list of ingredients which some celiacs believe are harmful, others feel are safe:

Alcohol
Grain alcohol
Grain vinegars
White vinegar
Vanilla extract and other flavorings (may contain alcohol)
Amaranth
Millet
Buckwheat
Quinoa
Teff

and oatmeal should be added to this list. doctors, scientist and celiac patients all disagree over whether celiacs can or cannot digest/tolerate oatmeal.

here's a link to celiac.com's list of forbidden foods.

link to celiac.com's list of foods and ingredients that should be ok for a gluten-free diet.

i strongly recommend that anyone who is considering going GF or is interested in learning more about gluten free living and/or celiac sprue spend some time @ celiac.com.

--------------------

#66227 - 04/30/04 07:38 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I agree with Jenx. The girl I see at the Vitamin store (who happens to have IBS D like me) recommended going off wheat gluten for awhile just to see if it made a difference. It did. I am eating rice products...rice bread, rice milk, cream of rice hot cereal, rice crackers, and using rice flour based baking mixes that are gluten free. I have found that I am not having the gas I used to have. Just like Jenx, I slipped one day and ate a couple of pieces of pizza and some cookies. I am also not supposed to have dairy. I was sick for a couple of days until it got out of my system. Good luck. Those stores have lots of gluten free products!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3724 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review