Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Salads?
      #6542 - 04/20/03 09:48 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey everyone,
I was Just wondering why salads are supposed to be eaten AFTER a meal. Is lettuce a trigger for some reason? and if so , why? My mom always told me that all lettuce is is just practically water. I know my moms salad can be a trigger for me because she puts oil, vinegar, peppers and tomatos in it, but what about just reg. old lettuce?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Salads? new
      #6554 - 04/20/03 02:49 PM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hello

I love salads, but limit myself to a mixed salad with meals once in a blue moon, as I think all the different types of salads are gas forming. I guess it depends on what type of IBS you have and what you can tolerate. If gas/wind is a problem than I would advise going easy on the lettuce! I come from a large Spanish family where every meal is served with a huge mixed salad of different leaves mixed with red onion, toms, garlic, olive oil etc... I love it, but if I can muster up the will power, I leave it alone as the after affects are really painful. Gives me the sort of trapped gas that rises and sits under the shoulder blades, really uncomfortable!

Most of the IBS books I have read, including Heather's, list it as a potential trigger food, but I think it may be better tolerated on a full stomach, hence eating after a meal.

Best Wishes......

#6579 - 04/20/03 04:44 PM
*Melissa*

Loc: ;

Hey! It's just because it's insoluble fiber, and usually people eat them before the meal. And, we all know that eating insoluble on an empty stomach is a no-no, so that's why you eat it at the end, when your all filled up on your soluble and safe!

#6677 - 04/21/03 06:51 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi sona; I love the salads from wendy's, they were dee-licious! Iam going to miss them this summer, I love salds in the summer time.

#7168 - 04/25/03 05:51 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

Lettuce is a trigger for gas. All leafy greens give me gas. I ate a whole thing of spinach the other night and I learned very quickly how it will give you gas and make you feel bloated, it won't digest properly, it is filled with insoluble fibers. I completely eliminated it from my diet, any trigger foods I stay away from.

Edited by KyAngel (04/25/03 05:54 AM)

#7177 - 04/25/03 06:14 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Regular lettuce is a HUGE trigger for me; I hate it! Firsyt of all it is so bland and second it just kills me. I have to eat DARK greens ( spinach, kale, dandelion, etc) which are better for you anyway! Iceberg lettuce has 0 nutrients, so if you can avoid it; do so!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

For Heather or Mags: are greens OK if cooked &eaten with rice new
      #18154 - 08/22/03 10:25 AM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

I can't find any recipes for cooked kale and other greens either in the book or on the recipe msge board. I love kale, mustard greens, spinach, collards etc and they're so healthy too. So I was wondering if it's OK to eat them in small portions if they're cooked and served with brown rice?

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

#18173 - 08/22/03 11:59 AM
tinam

Loc: Florida

I too love salad but can no longer eat it. Lettuce is ruffage and it doesn't do well with me. Cucumbers have long been out of the picture as well as tomatoes. Dressing also is bad to me........So no salad here......

--------------------
Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; Psalm 55:22

#18199 - 08/22/03 01:50 PM
*Melissa*

Have you tried peeling & removing the seeds from cucumbers? Sometimes they are easier to tolerate that way.

Re: For Heather or Mags: are greens OK if cooked &eaten with rice new
      #18200 - 08/22/03 01:58 PM
*Melissa*

Yes, they should be okay as long as cooked & served with soluble fiber (your rice ). As a matter of fact, Heather has some recipes with cooked spinach. Linguine with Creamy Wild Mushroom, Spinach, and Sherry Sauce & Mustard Dill Salmon with Roasted Potatoes & Greens are two that I can think of now.

I have my own recipe for a couscous with spinach that's really yummy. I'll have to dig it out & post it on the board sometime.

Re: For Heather or Mags: are greens OK if cooked &eaten with rice-Thanks! new
      #18213 - 08/22/03 03:36 PM
lithelady

Loc: Novato, CA

Thanks alot for referring me to those 2 recipes in H's book. Neither kale nor greens are listed in the index. I've just started using the book and most of the recipes' contents are unknown to me. Sooooooo, if the ingredient I want to know about isn't in the index, I'm out of luck until I've had time to read and use the recipes more.

If you think of any other recipes in the bk that either include greens or could be modified to do so, that'd be great.

Also,that would be very kind of you to post your couscous recipe.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Re: For Heather or Mags: are greens OK if cooked &eaten with rice-Thanks! new
      #18221 - 08/22/03 04:26 PM
*Melissa*

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. And, as soon as I post that recipe, I'll let you know too.

If you have any trouble with any of those ingredients, just post away....they are a little strange sometimes, aren't they? LOL I've learned a lot of new ingredients through Heather's book, and I'm STILL learning.

Re: Spinach & Pine Nuts on Couscous link new
      #18257 - 08/22/03 05:50 PM
*Melissa*

Here's the Spinach & Pine Nuts on Couscous .

Re: For Heather or Mags: are greens OK if cooked &eaten with rice new
      #18443 - 08/24/03 09:32 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I like to buy frozen leaf spinach, cook it according to package directions (i.e., in boiling water), drain it, and serve it with a bit of apple cider vinegar. Haven't had much luck with fresh spinach, though--I've never bought it that it didn't turn slimy immediately, ugh . Anyway, I only serve spinach as a side dish to a meal with lots of soluble fiber, like red beans and rice made with turkey sausage. (I'd post that recipe, but my ex retained custody of that cookbook! )

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1938

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review