All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can you ever be 100% sure it is IBS?
      #64320 - 04/23/04 01:49 PM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

On page 2 of Heather's book she lists all the things you should have ruled out before you can be sure you have IBS. I am having trouble ruling out the following:

Celiac Disease
Endometriosis
Crohn's (if you don't have blood (sorry) in your stool can you rule this out definitively??
Food Allergies

It is exhausting trying to fix yourself if you are going between 3 or 4 diseases and aren't even sure which one you have. Does anyone have some words of wisdom on the above?

Cindy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can you ever be 100% sure it is IBS? new
      #64329 - 04/23/04 03:01 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Your doctor should be able to do tests to rule out the above.

--------------------
~jules

#64331 - 04/23/04 03:46 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

Quote:

Your doctor should be able to do tests to rule out the above.

Except that the food allergy tests are unreliable. And, of course, the fact that you could have IBS along with something else. So the best test (after you rule out the more serious stuff with tests) is to watch your reactions to what you eat.

#64339 - 04/23/04 04:19 PM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

I'm kinda in the same boat you are. What I'm trying to do is just test and watch my body. After all nobody knows it better than I do! I have noticed that I feel better if I don't eat wheat, so I stay away from it. As far as endometriosis, I'm gonna try the pill and maybe that will help. A pain diary helps too. Write down what days you have pain. Then you can identify a cyclic pattern if its there. Food allergies? Try a food diary. Its helped me. Not sure about Crohn's though. I wonder about that too. It helps sooo much if you write things down. Then you can go to your doc and have solid evidence and it may help them diagnose you. Write down your bowel movements too if you have to! Hope this helps. I know exactly how you feel. I wish there was a way to test for everything all at once! That would make things so much easier and give so many people so much peace of mind. Good luck!

Re: Good advice new
      #64356 - 04/23/04 05:05 PM
crc

Thanks, it is hard. I would like to be devoting my time otherwise but.... yeah, you should see my date book marked with my bodily functions...oh brother!!! But I think that you are right about tracking things. I will give it a whirl and good luck to you too.

Cindy

Re: You would think so.. new
      #64357 - 04/23/04 05:09 PM
crc

But not the case. They say it sounds like endometriosis but I don't want to put you thru a laporoscopy so lets just put you on this medecine or your bloodwork suggests celiac but your endoscopy doesn't, just go wheat free and see what happens. So you try these things and nothing fixes your symptoms 100% and you just end up more confused.

I agree. nt new
      #64359 - 04/23/04 05:13 PM
crc

Re: Good advice new
      #64373 - 04/23/04 06:33 PM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

My calendar is ridiculous too! Every bodily function is on there! If someone who didn't know me ever saw it they would think I was kinda crazy but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Crohn's new
      #64491 - 04/24/04 03:32 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

a colonoscopy should give your doctor an idea whether you have Crohn's or not. make sure you have a colonoscopy if you haven't had one yet!

your GYN would diagnose endo... make sure you're seeing ALL of your doctors!

as for the others, you can get a good idea about the gluten problems through the blood test and through an endoscopy, but they're not definitive. my bloodwork was negative, but i had a hunch. i eliminated wheat and was almost immediately better. now, if i cheat (which i never do bigtime i just sneak the occasional Tofutti Cutie! ), i can't feel it! it's impossible to explain, but i can tell when that wheat is in my tummy. UGH. now i just avoid it. you can try elimination diets on your own (but talk to your doctor about it first, or a nutritionist. you need to make sure you're not eliminating vitamins and minerals and other goodies that you NEED!). stay off a questionable food for 2 weeks or so, then add it back in. if your symptoms had lessened or disappeared while you were "off" and came back or got worse when you go back "on" well... ya may be onto something!

good luck!

--------------------

How often do you repeat tests? new
      #64524 - 04/25/04 04:49 AM
crc

I had a lap 10 years ago, no endo but now gyno thinks I have it but does not want to do a lap????? I am tracking my symptoms on a calendar now to show when they are most awful.

Had a colonoscopy 7 years ago with no Crohns, how often do you have to repeat this test to be sure it is nothing else but IBS?

For the food allergies I am getting the message about a food journal and will be starting one.

Why do I feel like I am playing the doctor here? Oh brother! I want off this ride! Sorry, feeling a little overwhelmed.

Cindy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2850

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review