All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can I ever eat fruit again?
      #63916 - 04/22/04 12:52 PM
happyday

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Chicago, IL

I just wanted to ask who eats fruit? I have known for a while that fruit caused me major gas, so I cut it out for a while. I have been doing fabulous on the diet, and have not had any IBS issues in a long time. So after a good soluable dinner I had some fruit, strawberries and mango...that left me gas filled!!! I even woke up with loads of gas!

I am fine not eating fruit, but I keep trying it because i know is healthy....but, does anyone else have these issues???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

oh no. new
      #63920 - 04/22/04 12:56 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

that stinks.

i was just reading that fructose is a problem for some people... guess that's you, eh?

my mother can't have fruit. she doesn't even have IBS, she just can't handle the fruit!

i can have most fruits, though i have to have the solubles with 'em. i would die without my smoothie, i think... i don't know what i'd eat for breakfast! (i don't do bread!)

sorry- i wish i knew more about fructose...

--------------------

Re: Can I ever eat fruit again? new
      #63921 - 04/22/04 12:58 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Before my recent bout of attacks (stress-related), I was trying to incorporate more fruit and veggies into my diet. To do this, I made sure I ate a really good meal with soluble fiber and then had some canned fruit for dessert.

Canned fruit usually doesn't have the skin (insoluble fiber), but you do have to be careful with the syrup that goes with it. I personally find the light syrup canned fruit doesn't bother me much if I don't eat the syrup.

And, of course, there's fruit smoothies which are a great way to get fruit back in your diet. By blending them, you break down the insoluble fibers and make them easier to digest! Check out the diet board for some yummy smoothie recipes, and the EFI book for Heather's Banana Berry Smoothie.

Hope this helps!

- Jennifer

Oh and just to add - strawberries always give me problems. I believe it's due to the skin surrounding it. Perhaps that's what set you off the other night?

--------------------
- Jennifer

Edited by angylroses (04/22/04 12:59 PM)

#63923 - 04/22/04 01:02 PM
happyday

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Chicago, IL

Well, I have been having only fruit without skins. Except for the strawberries. I usually eat melon, mango, applesauce, banana...and I swear they must ferment in my body, because my Lord....it is no fun when those gasses want to come out, people need to evacuate in a mile raduis of me!

Fructose is what I was thinking, I guess it is more common than I thought. I am going to have to study up on that.

thanks for the input Jen and Angel!

Maybe try beano before eating them? -nt- new
      #63924 - 04/22/04 01:03 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#63946 - 04/22/04 01:49 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Happy Day,
I'm better with canned fruit than fresh. Canned pineapple and mandarin oranges. Melon doesn't agree with me either, not because of IBS though, just an intolerance. Bananas I'm actually allergic to, a cross allergy with latex.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 766

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review