All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question about meds and IBS
      #63838 - 04/22/04 11:10 AM
amcnally

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Dayton, Ohio

I have IBS-D and have been on Elavil? for several weeks. I can tell a big difference with the D but still having terrible anxiety attacks. Now the Dr wants to put me on Effexor instead to try and control both problems. On top of it I have gained 8 pounds in a week and a half! So that is another thing I want to avoid. Any one else taking Effexor want to share?? I need some advice! I love Heather's site because I don't feel like I am "crazy" any more! HELP!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about meds and IBS new
      #63850 - 04/22/04 11:38 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi,

I recently starting taking Effexor XR (37.5 mg). I have been on this about 1 month. I never tried any kind of medication before this and was so sick I was willing to trying anything. I'm also IBS-D and this has helped me alot (I will still get an attack if I cheat on my diet though). Also, it does seem to make me feel a little calmer, I was always a nervous anxious panicky person and I don't seem to be as bad on the meds.

When my dr. told me he was going to give me medication I told him I didn't want one with the side effect of of weight gain and since being on the Effexor I have lost about 7-8 lbs (that always makes me happy).

I hope this answer helps you out.

Barbara

#63854 - 04/22/04 11:42 AM
amcnally

Thanks-I started looking up effexor on line and I think sometimes that is a bad idea! You read everything that could ever go wrong with it. I think I will take it...it will be worth the risk! I can't afford the weight gain! Have you lost most of your appetite?

Effexor new
      #63866 - 04/22/04 11:51 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

my best friend is on this and LOVES it. it made her kinda jittery for the first few days (this repeats when she changes doses). in fact, she was WILD the first 2 days. after the spazzies went away, she's found the meds to be nice and smooth. (lemme tell ya, they work, too, she's a whole new her! in a good way.)

she has lost tons of weight lately (really, a lot!) and didn't want to gain any on the meds. Effexor shouldn't make you gain weight... in fact weight loss is a side effect. (!)

Elavil is a tricyclic antidepressant and many of them make you crave carbs and sweets which usually results in a weight gain. i'm on one of these to promote deep sleep (really low doses). i told my doctor i was eating all the time and i didn't like it- she said "it's the medicine."

anyway, good luck. let me know how the Effexor works on the IBS if you try it.... if i need to change meds, that's the next one i want to try! (my best friend doesn't have IBS, so no help there.)

--------------------

#63894 - 04/22/04 12:21 PM
Megs

Reged: 04/03/04

Oh let me know how the effexor works out for you! My doc wants me to take it but I am hesitant to take pills like that for personal reasons but I am getting to the point where it might be necessary. My anxiety and ibs have totally limited my life and I would like to be a productive member of society again:( I did take Effexor years ago for anxiety(no ibs) but never took it appropriately to get the full effects, it did help some with anxiety. My dad is on it and is a changed person as far as anxiety goes. The thing with it though is NEVER to just stop taking it once you start, I made this mistake and never will again. If you decide to change meds or don't like it talk with your doctor about how to taper off. Good luck.

-Megs

#63895 - 04/22/04 12:21 PM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi,

I thought this was worth the risk of taking it. Initially, he wanted to put me on Lotronex and those side effects really scared me, so I figured this was the lesser of two evils.

I really didn't have much an appetite before taking the effexor -- I find I can only eat small amounts at a time. But there aren't any wild cravings with this med thank goodness -- no binging.

I didn't really have any bad side effects -- I little dry mouth in the beginning, jittery the first few days. But my doc said that you have to at least give it 2-3 weeks to really settle in a see a difference and I'm glad that I did. I'm very happy on it.

I think you should give it a try and see if it agrees with you.

Barbara

Re: Be careful with the Elavil !! new
      #63913 - 04/22/04 12:49 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

The elavil will pack on the pounds, it makes some people crave chocolate, thats what happened to me, I gained an enormous amount of weight on it. I kept telling the doc that I was gaining weight daily, she would not listen to me. It took me searching the internet to understand it all. I am still fighting the weight issue, it has been over 6 years. Good Luck. gayla

#63918 - 04/22/04 12:53 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I took Effexor for several years, my weight stabilized on it. I could not and would not loose weight on it, it did not change my IBS smptoms. I am now on Prozac, it has done wonders with my anxiety, and I have lost some weight. good luck. gayla

#63939 - 04/22/04 01:39 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I just stopped taking Lexapro, which has a lot of the same chemicals in it that Effexor does. I only stopped it because I want to get pregnant. I liked being on it once my body got used to it. The first 2-3 weeks were rough. I ws real jittery, felt "high" and couldn't concentrate. ALL those side effects went away! It really helped with the anxienty and mood swings. Can't say it really helped with my IBS directly. I did NOT gain weight on it!

Remember when reading info on the side effects of drugs, that they have to list anything anyone ever complained off! Keep in mind most of the side effects stop after a few weeks. If I wasn't trying to conceive, I would still be on it!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Hypno new
      #63940 - 04/22/04 01:41 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

This doesn't have to do with meds, but have you thought about trying the hypno program for your anxiety attacks? It's done more for my anxiety than anything else. Just a thought!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#63950 - 04/22/04 01:52 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I've been taking Effexor for years as a maintenance program to keep me depression free. No weight gain, some decrease in interest in sex, had to find the right time of day to take it so I didn't fall asleep at work (!), but I LOVE it, it's keeping me healthy and happy and I couldn't live without it anymore than a diabetic could live without insulin!!

Oh, and WELCOME!!! (if I haven't said it already!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#63984 - 04/22/04 04:42 PM
amcnally

So what time of day do you take yours? I was thinking of taking it in the evening before bed...I have been on the elavil for 2 weeks...I am wondering if I have to be weaned off of that or could I just start change to the Effexor right away?

#63986 - 04/22/04 04:44 PM
amcnally

Oh my gosh...you are exactly right about the cravings. And of course you know how much candy we have here from Easter...No wonder I have gained the weight! It's not my fault! LOL! Honest!

#63988 - 04/22/04 04:48 PM
amcnally

I will let you know. I am the same way, hesitent to take antidepressants. I go to counseling at my church and I have always felt that I should get to the "root" of the problem and not cover it up with meds...but after 4 years of struggling with the IBS I am feeling that the anxiety is from "struggling with the Embarassing IBS" for 4 years! LOL! So I am trying...between the diet and Elavil I have had a few good weeks. I will let you know when I switch to the Effexor. Thanks!

Re: Effexor new
      #63989 - 04/22/04 04:50 PM
amcnally

I am anxious to make the switch to Effexor...I don't know if I can just start taking it or if I need to be weaned off the Elavil. It's only been 2 weeks! With the Effexor, maybe the jittery side effects will give me lots of energy to get my house really clean. Ya think? LOL!

#63990 - 04/22/04 04:53 PM
amcnally

Thanks for that. You sound alot like me. I think alot of the panic attacks are because of all the embarrassing times I have had getting sick out in public. I feel like it makes me crazy! But it is nice to hear others have the same experiences! God Bless Heather and her site!

#63992 - 04/22/04 04:55 PM
amcnally

Thanks for the info...The side effects worry me but if it stops the IBS attacks as well as the panic attacks...I'll take it! I will let you know!

#63998 - 04/22/04 05:03 PM
LauraSue

You can take both Elavil AND Effexor. They are completely different chemically. I actually take both, Effexor for depression and Elavil for my fibromyalgia to help me sleep.

I take half my Effexor at lunch time and the other half at dinner.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

sex drive new
      #64003 - 04/22/04 05:09 PM
jenX

that's strange, LS. my friend's sex drive revved up big time! she's a horny little minx, now! wonder which result is "typical?"

--------------------

#64005 - 04/22/04 05:11 PM
amcnally

So I am wondering if I should just start taking the samples they gave me? My doctor's office sucks with their call backs! It will be next week before I hear from them. If I am lucky!

Re: sex drive new
      #64006 - 04/22/04 05:12 PM
LauraSue

That IS strange...maybe getting relief from the clinical depression (it is a disease like IBS after all) restored her interest more than the Effexor reduced it. That's the only explanation I can think of, but I'm not a doctor (I just play one on tv!), so whadduino.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Effexor new
      #64030 - 04/22/04 06:58 PM
Stephibush

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Michigan

I have been on Effexor (75 mg) for the past three weeks and friends and family have noticed a difference. I seem to be less anxious and I'm more relaxed. I am IBS-D and knock on wood, I haven't had an episode at all in the last three weeks and I don't follow any certain diet right now. I have removed all my triggers and I mostly eat carbs. I do have turkey and chicken and occasional cheeseburger and biggie fry from Wendy's. That's the only fast food joint I can eat without getting diarrhea. I'll have it once every two weeks. I think it's good and I'd try it if I were you. I used to take xanax which made me feel like a zombie. This doesn't have that affect. I take it between 8-9 at night because within one hour of eating, I'm tired!! Make sure to eat bread or a bagel or an english muffin with it. You have to take it with food or you'll get a stomache. Hope this helps! Good luck! I know how depressing some things can get when it feels like IBS and anxiety rule.

#64041 - 04/22/04 08:34 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I gained weight with the Elavil too... sugar cravings ALL the TIME. However, at the time I would say it was definitely worth it.

#64130 - 04/23/04 07:08 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Most SSRI drugs DECREASE sexual drive! Thats why I kept switching brands to find the one the affected my sex drive the least, never did find one!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#64164 - 04/23/04 07:48 AM
jenX

well, she's been on a bunch, too. in fact, she's been on them since we met a few years ago. she has that Seasonal Affective Disorder (what a b*tch that is!). anyway, all the other meds kinda numbed the desire for her, 'til Effexor.

it was funny the day she realized it! she called me and said "i wanna jump on the new guy in the office." i started to respond, then realized the significance of what she'd said so i asked her to repeat herself! she said "yup... he needs to be careful not to get in the elevator alone with me." i lost it! how funny is that... i'd NEVER heard her talk like that before...

by the way, she's been on it for about 6 months and that
"side effect" is still going strong!

*j

--------------------

#64167 - 04/23/04 07:54 AM
Bobster

Reged: 04/21/04
Loc: tampa, fl.

WOW! where does she work? Maybe I can help her!

down boy! -nt- new
      #64173 - 04/23/04 08:02 AM
jenX

--------------------

Re: down boy! -nt- new
      #64183 - 04/23/04 08:16 AM
Bobster

LOL, I was just trying to help!

#64185 - 04/23/04 08:22 AM
jenX

so altruistic of you!

--------------------

#64202 - 04/23/04 09:46 AM
Chela

Reged: 03/17/04
Loc: California

This is true for me also. When I was on Elavil in four months I gained ~10 lbs. Was in a super deep sleep when I went to bed. I had a really hard time getting up in the morning. It helped with the spasms/pain which was great. But I craved sweets all the time and ate more at night
.I switched to Lexapro, been on it for about 2 months. It's helped with the spasms/pain also and IBS-C.I just started Wellbutrin also to help w/ the sex drive. We'll see if it works.

#64215 - 04/23/04 10:45 AM
Bobster

Thanks for noticing!

#64249 - 04/23/04 12:03 PM
Brianne1

Reged: 04/14/04

Does Effexor work for both Anxiety and IBS-D? One pill? I'm taking Nulev for my IBS and Xanax for my anxiety 0.25mg

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1364 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8266

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review