All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bad reaction to Barium?
      #63819 - 04/22/04 10:33 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm wondering if anyone here has had a bad reaction to the barium they make you drink when you have GI x-rays? I was told that it was constipating so to drink a lot of water and all that stuff, and yet just two hours after the test I've been having (sorry if this is TMI) explosive diarrhea. It's really painful and just out of control, and I assume it's from the Barium so I don't know what to do. I don't want to take an anti-diarhheal because I assume you should get it out, and I don't even feel like I can eat or anything.
Any suggestions?
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bad reaction to Barium? new
      #63825 - 04/22/04 10:40 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Did you eat after the test? If so was it "safe?" I think people can react differently to the barium. If your prone to D than that just might be the way your body is dealing with it. If it doesn't let up in an hour or two, I would call your dr. I agree, you probably shouldn't take anything to stop it, best to get it out, no matter how unpleasant!

Be careful not to get dehydrated and make yourself eat a little something. Even if its just a piece of toast or some rice. Getting something in your tummy might help settle it. Could you have some tea? If you get real crampy try using the heating pad, that always helps me! Hang in there, feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Gas? new
      #63828 - 04/22/04 10:48 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

When I had an upper barium x-ray done, they told me to drink this fizzy stuff that would create a lot of gas in my stomach. Did they make you drink anything like that first? That was the toughest part for me as they tell you not to burp!

If they did, that could possibly be what's triggering your D. I had some D after the x-ray because of all the excess gas, and then went directly back to extreme C.

If not and it gets too painful, definitly call your doctor!

Hope you start feeling better soon.

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#63833 - 04/22/04 10:59 AM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

Kelly,

I had the same experience. They told me that in one or two days it would come out and be all white and not to worry about that. But, mine was well on its way even before I got home. I agree that you should probably not take anything to stop it. Mine did stop after 2 hours or so and then I was fine, but it never hurts to just ask them if what your going thru is OK, might make you feel better. I just took it as a another sign that my system functions differently than a "normal" persons.

Hope that you are doing better.

Cindy

#63836 - 04/22/04 11:05 AM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

Ohh I was in so much pain after that silly test! The cramps were awful! I feel for you. They told me it would take a while for the barium to leave my system....HA! It took like an hour! You will feel better soon! Just think....you are getting rid of all that nasty, chalky stuff! Who wants that stuff in there for like two weeks anyways? I hope you feel better soon!

#63965 - 04/22/04 03:10 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the advice. I actually haven't eaten anything since 10:00 last night because I had to fast and then was feeling sick so quickly I didn't feel like eating, I will try having something bland...hopefully that'll help. And I have been drinking Fennel tea too to help with the gas.
Does anyone know if it's ok to have barium twice in one week? Because they screwed up with the scheduling of the tests so I have to go back in four days and drink it again to have the small bowel follow through...don't think my body's going to like me too much after that!
Kelly

#64082 - 04/23/04 05:26 AM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

Hi,

I don't know about having barium twice in a week but I did want to mention that when I had the small bowel follow through, they make you wait till they think it has travelled to the small bowel. They pretty much missed mine because it went thru so fast. Given how fast the barium travelled thru you this first time, you might want to mention that and have them check you well before they would someone else.

Good Luck with everything. It is good that you are having the tests done, but I know they are no fun.

Cindy

#64127 - 04/23/04 07:05 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

It should be ok. I had an ultrasound and had to drink barium, than went back and had the gi with the small bowel follow through. I'm a C type person so I was there almost 5 hours for the follow through study. But as some one mentioned if the barium went through you that quick the first time be sure to tell them so they keep a close eye on taking the x-rays. They really should have done them on the same day though, would have been much easier on you!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks guys! new
      #64242 - 04/23/04 11:58 AM
Vicam

Thanks you guys for the advice about telling them that it may go through my system quickly, that never occured to me and would have been so mad if I had to go back and do the test again because they missed it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1802 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1183

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review