All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LETTUCE
      #63176 - 04/20/04 06:48 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

OK.. random question.. but what type of lettuce (ie iceberg, romaine, baby spinach) is the most well tolerated by ibsers with major DDD. I'm obsessed with salad and veg and want to know some safer choices.. how can such good foods run right through us?!?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: LETTUCE new
      #63181 - 04/20/04 07:02 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I think most people find that *no* form of lettuce works well for them. Sorry.

#63226 - 04/21/04 12:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I agree with chinagrl - sorry! That stuff is so not good for me!

#63227 - 04/21/04 02:41 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

actually, I can handle like a tiny slither of lettuce on a trkey sandwhich on like pits bread with some pretzels. However, lettuce in like a salad? forget it!

#63232 - 04/21/04 03:40 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm okay with lettuce on sandwhiches, in a small salad after soluble, or mixed in a dish (like Heather's Wheatberry Maple Salmon - my favorite main dish recipe in EFI! ). I don't know if any kind is more tolerated, but I do know iceberg isn't really worth the "risk" since it has practically no nutritional value.

#63494 - 04/21/04 01:03 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

I've had a couple small mixed green salads with a tiny amount of low fat dressing and it didn't seem to bother me -- I did take the precaution of eating the salad after the rest of my dinner, though.

#63523 - 04/21/04 02:02 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

What type of lettuce is most well tolerated?
It seems from responses so far that most folks don't tolerate it. I do just fine, but I don't eat a lot of it, and I have it WITH other foods that I know are okay.
I hunted around online for nutritional info and didn't find much, but here's a page with lots of lettuce info. As I suspected, romaine is better to eat than iceberg -- but not by much. There's more lettuce links HERE.
p.s. if you haven't grown it before, buy some seeds and put them in a big pot with good potting mix in a warm and not-too-sunny spot. Nothing like heading out the door to "pick some salad."

#63529 - 04/21/04 02:31 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Or..........I buy a butter head lettuce from Albertsons that is still alive, with the roots and all. I just pick off a fresh leaf or two when I want a small salad or some on a sandwich. It seem to last forever, especially if you add a little water now and then to where the roots sit.

Kandee
(Kelly, love your pic....love your hat)

--------------------

#63533 - 04/21/04 03:11 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

WHOA, Kandee, that's a great idea~ and butter lettuce is so yum. Do you keep it in the fridge or do you actually plant the thing? (I'm thinking you COULD plant them ....) hmmmmm

#63595 - 04/21/04 07:55 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

hmmm thanks for the info.. i'm in love with salads and vegetables..but whenever I eat lettuce it usually comes out undigested later.. I am unsure about whether it causes my D though. When I was much younger I could not tolerate a salad whatsoever. I removed lettuce from my diet for years. I finally incorporated it back into my diet and I could actually handle it.. however, whenever my next bowel movement.. or more precisely, my next attack of D because thats all I have occured, lettuce as definitly present. I guess I'll just have to shop around and test the waters to find somethign that works for me.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2893 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2596

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review