All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Maybe it was the strawberries...
      #63111 - 04/20/04 04:40 PM
rosey

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: Roseville, CA

My major IBS symptoms have been a bladder that just wants my attention all the time.. The ibs diet has helped a lot but this am I had a banana/strawberry smoothie and, boy, was my bladder busy today! I kept a log of how often I had to get up from my desk and it was about ever 30 - 40 mins.. and my bladder feels very sensitive, tho that's decreasing. I remember the urologist gave me a list of irritating foods, and strawberries where there. Also other citrus and I've been eating that wonderful lemon bread in Heather's book.. So, I'll think I'll skip both those yummy foods for the rest of the week and see if it helps. Maybe I just need an lower-body transplant.. one that works!

Rosey

Edited by rosey (04/20/04 04:41 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

aw, man..... new
      #63118 - 04/20/04 05:08 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

strawberries are a GI irritant, or urinary tract irritant???

'cause i used to always have to pee so bad all the live long day... and then i noticed it had slacked off a lot and life was much more livable... maybe that's 'cause i ran out of strawberries and have been too lazy to go to the store and therefore there aren't strawberries in the smoothies i have been having for breakfast.

hmmm.... tell me more!!!!

--------------------

Re: aw, man..... new
      #63352 - 04/21/04 08:52 AM
rosey

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: Roseville, CA

Hi Jenx:
My urologist (the new one, who pointed me to the internet to look up IBS.. bless her heart) also gave me a list of foods that are irritating to your bladder. Cause even tho I do have D and gas/bloating, what drove me to the Dr initially last June was getting up to pee 6 to 7 times a nite.. then the pain began. The pain took on a life of its own while I tried to manage it and that's really been helped by the IBS diet info I've learned here. I have not yet slept thru the nite in 10 months without waking up to pee, (someday I hope!) tho at times I've only been up 1 or 2 times, then suddenly I'm up many times. I'd also often have an aching pain in my bladder area after peeing. When I saw the 2nd urologist, I was having D and lots of bloating and that ibs pain was major, hence her diagnosis. However, she did note that certain foods, most of which are a no-no for IBS, also irritate the bladder.. including strawberries. I'd also run out of frozen strawberries and looking back, I wasn't peeing so much and sleeping better (up 1 or 2 times which is not bad..) but 3 days ago I shopped and have been having strawberry/banana smoothies for a few days cause I love them.. yesterday it felt like my poor bladder was practically inflamed and I even resorted to taking 2 urised pills last nite. I'm better today and here it is, 8:48pm and I havent been to the ladies room since I got here at 8am! (even after a cup of peppermint tea). No strawberries this am, needless to say. So, we'll see how it goes. If you start on them again, I'd be interested in your results.

Rosey

this is depressing news.... new
      #63357 - 04/21/04 09:00 AM
jenX

but i sure appreciate it! it solves the mystery of my constant peeing!

argh. i'm sad.

as for this:

Quote:

I have not yet slept thru the nite in 10 months without waking up to pee

isn't it great? i feel like an infant! "ooh, i almost slept through the whole night!" as if it's an achievement. (well, it is, but it shouldn't be)

--------------------

well, Rosey, that settles it, then... new
      #64088 - 04/23/04 06:02 AM
jenX

it's the strawberries making me pee every 4 minutes.

i haven't had any all week, but tossed some in the smoothie this morning. YUP. that's what did it. i was a normal person for the last few days (just peeing occasionally) but now i feel like i should move my desk closer to the bathroom!

DRAT.

--------------------

Re: well, Rosey, that settles it, then... new
      #64092 - 04/23/04 06:16 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

To me, strawberries are so good that they're worth it if it makes you pee more. They are my favorite fruit! YUM!! It's almost officially strawberry season!

yeah... but.... new
      #64178 - 04/23/04 08:07 AM
jenX

i have to pee ALLLLLLL OF THE TIME!
i mean, i'll pee, then walk out to the couch, pick up the knitting needles, knit one, purl one, then get up and go pee again! (in the bathroom, not on the couch)

that goes on from the time i drink my smoothie 'til 2AM (no kidding)

still, i love them and may just make the sacrifice from time to time.

--------------------

Re: yeah... but.... new
      #64364 - 04/23/04 05:25 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

I had no idea strawberries could have this effect. I've also been peeing non-stop lately but I thought it was all the water I'm drinking. I've been having banana-strewberry smoothies every morning for about 2 weeks now and have been peeing ALL THE TIME. I'll have to try to cut out the strawberries and see if I don't pee all the time!

Re: well, Rosey, that settles it, then... new
      #64392 - 04/23/04 08:41 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Jen - you crack me up !

- Leigh

fascinating and annoying, isn't it!? -nt- new
      #64483 - 04/24/04 03:07 PM
jenX

--------------------

Re: fascinating and annoying, isn't it!? -nt- new
      #64495 - 04/24/04 04:09 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Yea - well, I had just bought a two-pound box of fresh strawberries so I guess I'll be peeing until I finish the box next week! LOVE those banana / strawberry smoothies though!

Re: fascinating and annoying, isn't it!? -nt- new
      #64545 - 04/25/04 08:16 AM
jenX

oh, me too! sometimes it's just totally worth it. especially since i know it's going to happen so i can plan for it! and really, after IBS, who cares about a little peeing!?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1410

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review