All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Paxil
      #6282 - 04/16/03 05:15 PM
janem

Reged: 04/10/03

My college-age daughter has been prescribed Paxil for anxiety and depression. She suffers from diarrhea-predominant IBS and I have read that Paxil might exacerbate this condition. Does anyone who shares the same condition have any experience with Paxil or any other anti-depressants? Thank you! Jane M.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Paxil new
      #6291 - 04/16/03 06:14 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Jane: I've heard that Paxil actually helps the IBS symptoms, but if you go to the search button at the top of this page, put in PAXIL and change the date range to ALL POSTS instead of 3 months or so, you'll get whatever anyone in here has posted about Paxil.

#6297 - 04/16/03 06:31 PM
janem

Thank you Karin - I checked out previous posts on the subject of Paxil and it was interesting. It does seem that many people are helped by Paxil, however I noticed that only those with constipation had written saying that it helped them. Has anyone with diarrhea been helped by Paxil? Thanks, Jane M.

#6299 - 04/16/03 06:40 PM
Karin

You'll have to wait for an IBS-D'er that has tried it to jump in and answer you. I am IBS-D, but am anti-medication so I've never been on it. You've come to the right place though, you should get your answers soon!

Re: Paxil for IB-D new
      #6303 - 04/16/03 06:51 PM
janem

Thanks for trying Karin! I definitely understand the no-medication - but my daughter has just been diagnosed with IBS-D and is very depressed. The doctor convinced her that paxil would help. I read in one of Heather's books that paxil is good for IBS-C, but not so good for IBS-D - so I was wondering if others have experienced this? Jane M.

#6305 - 04/16/03 07:00 PM
Karin

Jane, hop over to the Hypnotherapy board. It sounds like your daughter could benefit from the cds that are available. My daughter also has IBS, but she is D/C both.
I've been thinking about getting the program for her as I know she's suffering a lot with anxiety and is depressed about her IBS. Last semester was a nightmare for her, I felt so bad, but there was nothing I could do for her.

#6306 - 04/16/03 07:18 PM
txmom

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: North Texas

Jane,

I have suffered from IBS-D for years. My doctor put me on Paxil about 3 weeks ago. I have not had D since. I have been really careful about what I eat and strictly follow the guidelines from Heather's books. The Paxil has been wonderful. I was really nauseous the first 5 days I was on it but it went away. I just take one 10 mg. tablet at bedtime. I have had really good results and I definitely suffered from IBS-D. The D would last for days and the cramping was unbearable. I am finally able to eat out again and take trips with confidence. No more searching for the closest bathroom! Hope this helps. I will keep your daughter in my thoughts and prayers.

Christina

#6312 - 04/17/03 04:48 AM
janem

Karin, thanks, that sounds like good advice. I'm new to this board (or any board!) and just realized that I should have asked my question on the hypnotherapy board in the first place. Yes, my daughter is in her junior year at college and also very anxious and depressed. College is a difficult place to be with IBS. I had an interesting reply from Christina, who seems to be doing well on paxil. Anyway, maybe I'll ask the question again on the H. board. I'm so sorry about your daughter - it's hard not being able to help more. Jane M.

#6313 - 04/17/03 04:56 AM
janem

Christina, I was so thankful to read your post. My daughter has had some nausea too, but it seems to be easing (she's been on paxil for about 5 days). I've read some posts from the last few months that sound like it's very difficult to come off of paxil, but I suppose we'll worry about that later. I'm new to this board and have just realized that probably the best place for my question would have been the Hypnotherapy board. So I'm going to try there as well. How wonderful that you're feeling so much better. Thank you, Jane M.

#6316 - 04/17/03 05:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hi, Janem. I'm 30 and was just diagnosed with an anxiety disorder as well (Obsessive Compulsive) and I am also D prominant. I have been on Paxil since October. I have not found it to make my D any worse. Ultimately, if the Paxil helps your daughter feel less anxious, etc. it should also help calm her stomach. Remember, anxiety can play a huge role in IBS symptoms for some people. The more upset I am, the more D I have.
Don't be surprised if the next few weeks are a bit bumpy for your daughter. I suffered from insomnia (had to take it in the morning - NOT bedtime. And I was also very jittery (a common starting side-effect). I was told most side effects will blow over in the first few weeks. If not, talk to your Doc. Remember, also, that it can take up to 10 - 12 weeks for the Paxil to start to fully work. She may not feel better for a while. If she is in college, is she taking the summer off? It might be a good idea to, or to at least lighten her course-load a bit.
Hope this all helps, and if you have any more questions, please post. Your daughter is lucky to have you. I know it's frustrating to stand by and feel helpless. You're there for her and that's what's most important.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#6323 - 04/17/03 08:50 AM
Karin

Jane: all the boards have their different functions, each one is valuable in its own way. You can learn how she needs to eat and what she needs to eat, which is extremely important as we've all learned. My daughter seems to live on tuna/salmon, rice and applesauce. All easy foods to fix and eat on the run. Your daughter needs to figure out her specific triggers (everyone is different), then work out a safe diet to stay on. Sounds like she's on the right track and she's fortunate you're trying to help. We have some kids on here that have unsupportive parents, which is a shame. If she has the time, she can also join the group and ask anything she needs to know, all of us work together to be informative and supportive.

#6367 - 04/17/03 06:29 PM
janem

Karin: Thank you so much for taking the time to offer guidance. Yes, my daughter also eats a lot of tuna/salmon, rice and applesauce! Sushi is her favorite thing. I'm hoping too that she'll join this board - but we're still in the early days of this and she's a bit resistant! But maybe later. Thanks again, Jane M.

#6368 - 04/17/03 06:37 PM
janem

Thank you for all the information about your experience with paxil. I hope it's helping you. My daughter has found that she's very tired with it, but she has now changed to taking it in the evening (the opposite of you). I hope it doesn't make her jittery. Yes, we're trying to convince her of an easy summer, and I think she may agree. I've been reading about all sorts of other therapies, like hypnosis and cognitive therapy. But I have a feeling she may not be receptive to trying those until she's out of college and her life is more her own. Bless you again for sharing your paxil experiences. I'm just so happy I've found this board! Jane M.

#6387 - 04/18/03 06:12 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Depending on what anxiety disorder, cognitive behaviour therapy has been known to be extremely effective. You are wise to let your daughter take this at her own pace. Forcing her into therapy etc. is not a good idea. She has to be receptive and ready for it. I went through an entire "denial" phase when first diagnosed. It was like I knew I had this but it really wasn't that bad ... etc. Just be supportive and unfortunately, she has to stumble through this at her own pace. Good luck. hugs.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3011 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review