All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newly Diagnosed - Any Tips?
      #62009 - 04/16/04 04:40 PM
Andee

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Sacramento, CA

I have just been diagnosed with IBS. I am in my late twenties and am very afraid that I will have to deal with this for a life time. Does anyone know of any natural remedies that are very effective? My diet now is very bad, but I'm afraid to give up everything that I love. I plan to slowly change my diet until I find relief. Has anyone had any luck using yoga to relieve symptoms? What about tea? What seem to be your major triggers? Thank you for any advice you can give.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newly Diagnosed - Any Tips? new
      #62012 - 04/16/04 04:51 PM
Megs

Reged: 04/03/04

Hi Andee,
I definitely know the feeling but there is absolute hope for all of us. I see it all over these boards people finding ways to deal. I am pretty new to this too and still trying to figure out how to deal with some symptoms and stabalize.

I think one of the main things is diet and for me it came down to how much was it worth to me to eat something but be in terrible pain and stuck in the bathroom forever. There are so many good foods out there that are totally safe and simple. I am a self professed "food sheltered" person meaning that things like tofu and rice milk scared me to death. You learn to like things you never thought of.

Heather's books are great! They are what I base my food on and were the first thing I found that made me think I could get through this. Fiber supplements are important. Yoga is great for pain for me. The tummy teas on here are great I just bought some. Also you should check out the hypno cds. I just started them this week and they are really relaxing. I know people on here that have been around longer than me probably have more ideas but those are some of the thing that I have found important and are natural.

-Megs

Re: Newly Diagnosed - Any Tips? new
      #62162 - 04/17/04 12:24 PM
Lilybear

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: east coast, usa

Hi Andee,

Welcome. I know this must be a scary journey for you, but its great that you found us. This group and website is very supportive and helpful. I'm not sure if you will have to deal with this for a life time. I was diagnosed at 20 years old and I am 23. I was able to deal with it for 2 years, and within the past year I developed D. Withi the past month, the symptoms have been really challenging. Then I found this website, and am so greatful to be here. My doctors couldn't really help, but everyone here is going through what you are-- so you are not alone. On this being a life time thing: its okay to be afraid, but let's take it one day at a time. How are you feeling today? I'm sorry that you have to give up what you love, but maybe not forever. Try the diet Heather suggests for awhile and see how your body reacts to the soluble fiber foods and supplements. I didn't like the fact that I had to give up chinese food, icecream, etc. But I know its for the best. Certain foods can trigger your symptoms to flare up, and its not fun to be in that situation. There are many stories here of people who are having success with the diet, cds, and yoga. And they are feeling better, and there are us who are new to this website. Its all a matter of time and effort. For natural remedies: I would try the teas such as peppermint and chamomile and fennel. You can find more information about them to the left of the website in the links. Supplements such as Metamucil, Acacia, and Citracil help too. Natural remedies would include food such as your diet of soluble fiber. What Heather suggests on this website are more natural than medication. The diet gives you an opportunity to take some control over your life and health. If you are afraid, just inform/educate yourself first about IBS and what you can personally do. When starting off with the diet, use moderation and slowly incorporate things. I've just started yoga and its helped. The tea is great when I drink it during meals and before I go to sleep. My major triggers: stress, dairy, greasy foods, not eating enough soluble fiber. There needs to be a balance. Heather lists triggers and a lot of useful information. I've printed mine out and am still becoming more familiar with it. Best of Wishes and If you have any questions, we hope to help you the best we can. Just take it one day at a time. Take care.
*liybear

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2063 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review