All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soluble fiber causes gas??? Check out this quote...
      #61954 - 04/16/04 02:19 PM
Shelli

Reged: 04/13/04
Loc: Glendale, Arizona

I've been trying to figure out why my gas has gotten way worse since starting the "all soluble" foods diet....trying to break the IBS cycle I've been in. I wasn't sure if it was the fibercon or the peppermint tea. ANd then I found the following quote on another IBS website and it was from a medical magazine:

"Soluble fiber is readily fermented; beneficial bacteria in the colon break down carbohydrates. A byproduct is gas that can stimulate colonic muscles and help soften stool. However, in some people this can cause discomfort. Adding fiber gradually and slowly over time may eliminate the discomfort."

All I'm eating right now is soluble fiber foods and taking a soluble fiber supplement so I guess it is too much for me because I'm having terrible gas pains and I wasn't before I started this stuff. Has anybody else had this problem? My IBS attacks have been less intense (not less frequent yet, just less intense and not lasting as long) since starting the diet, but the gas increase is killing me.

I think I need to start eating some insoluble fiber now. Does anybody agree/disagree? I was going to wait until I was "attack-free" for a few days but this gas is almost as bad as an attack of IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble fiber causes gas??? Check out this quote... new
      #62086 - 04/16/04 10:26 PM
Ash

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Bellevue, WA

Shelli,

Try replacing some of your soluble fiber foods (bread, potatoes, etc) with rice and brown rice.

Rice is the only starch that does not ferment as it is broken down so you should have less gas if you replace other starches with rice.

Also, are you eating a lot of beans, soy, onions, or garlic? All of those can cause gas.

You can probably start incorporating insoluble fiber to your diet. Just make sure you cook or mush veggies and fruit thoroughly and have them with plenty of rice or other soluble fiber foods.

Here's a website that might help: gas-prevention diet

Take care, and good luck!

Ash

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 509

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review