All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
UniFiber..... new
      #61946 - 04/16/04 02:09 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I've never found any talk about UniFiber here, but it was suggested to me a few years back by a nurse at my GI docs office. It's a little hard to find....I am only occasionally able to find it at Walmart. I haven't taken it for a while, but when I did, it worked well. The nice thing about it is that you can mix it with any soft food...yogurt, pudding, etc. And it's all natural if I remember right.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I seem to be having more attacks since trying all this stuff new
      #62015 - 04/16/04 04:59 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Crampgirl - Are you drinking enough water for the soluble fiber supplement to work? I know sometimes if I slack on my water I can get a little C-ish. What version of the Citrucel are you using - you're not using sugar-free are you?

It could be the salmon. Salmon is higher in fat - it's a good fat, but your bowel could care less if it's a good or bad kind. Either way it's still fat. Others have posted that just can't do salmon. Or, did you not have enough soluble with your salmon? Did you take the supplement before you ate, or were you just counting on the pasta as your soluble?

And are you absolutely sure you've cut out all triggers? Are you sure that red meat you still eat once a week couldn't be causing you problems?

Hope something there helps you figure out what's going on!

#62021 - 04/16/04 05:13 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Mags, I had a full glass of citrucil and water about an hour before dinner and then the pasta before tackling the salmon. Seems like enough soluables to me. Before I started all this fibre stuff I had been eating even more red meat and no attacks for months. The last red meat I had was over a week ago. I've been eating plain chicken most of this week & thought I'd try some fish. Back to my safe tuna.

#62026 - 04/16/04 05:26 PM
*Melissa*

How much water do you drink throughout the day is what I meant - not what you had regarding this meal. If I don't have enough water throughout the day I have C problems.

And maybe it is that you and Citrucel don't get along. Maybe you should try the acacia.

Hope you feel better soon.

#62032 - 04/16/04 05:50 PM
crampgirl

I have a glass with me all day long and keep filling it. Maybe 6-8 glasses I'm guessing.

#62038 - 04/16/04 06:02 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Hmm...see you had the fiber right before dinner, so it very much could have been the fiber giving you pain. Try taking the fiber in the morning and see if it gives you cramps.

--------------------
IBS-C

#62039 - 04/16/04 06:05 PM
*Melissa*

I think you could probably drink more. I can't remember the exact amount we're supposed to drink, but I can go by what I do drink. In the am, I drink a pint (2 cups) with my Citrucel. Then, I have a peppermint/fennel tea with/after breakfast. Then, when I get to work I open a 24 oz water and my goal is to have that finished before I go to lunch. Come back from lunch, pop open another 24 oz - that one has to be gone before I leave work. Before dinner, I have another pint w/ Citrucel. Sooo, that right there (not counting my tea) brings me to 10 cups of water a day, plus my "miscellaneous" teas throughout the day.

So, I have problems on the weekends, because I don't give myself that goal to have water by.

I don't know if upping your water a little will help you, but it can't hurt. When you have your attacks after dinner, are they D or C attacks? I know you said you had D before, but now feel C-ish, so I was a little confused on what types you have after dinner. I was thinking if it was a C attack after dinner, maybe the water could help, but if it's D attacks I don't know - maybe bumping up your fiber supplement like Heather suggested? Or switching?

#62061 - 04/16/04 07:10 PM
crampgirl

I'll have to make a point to add more water. I used to drink even more but I guess I've slacked off a bit lately. I thought we were supposed to have the citrucil/fiber first thing in the morning and again before dinner. Maybe I should change the times so it's not so close before a meal. Maybe my tummy is just too full then with fiber and food and we know too much in the tummy itself can bring on an attack too.

I guess my attacks now are C and not D. Hours of cramping and BM but not D type anymore, probably because of the fiber.

#62064 - 04/16/04 07:25 PM
*Melissa*

One more thing I didn't think of till now (duh - sorry ), how is your insoluble fiber? Are you getting enough of that to help prevent C also? I just realized I didn't think of that before.

#62066 - 04/16/04 07:33 PM
crampgirl

I'm gradually increasing it but also (with my adhesions/which could mean possible partial obstruction) I'm going slow until I can get another colonoscopy which I won't be able to do for a few more mos. Long story.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1055 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5441

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review