All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pregnant with IBS
      #61176 - 04/14/04 02:37 PM
preggytummy

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi. I'm new to the message boards. I am 24 weeks pregnant, due August 3. This is my first child. I actually haven't had too much of a problem with my IBS symptoms since I've been pregnant. However, I am now taking an antibiotic, Macrobid, for a UTI(I also have a bacterial infection separate from that and will have to take another antibiotic when I finish the macrobid.) Anyway, my concern is every time I have a BM now it's very dark, almost black. Is this normal with the Macrobid or could it be IBS? I'm also on a new prenatal vitamin with a stool softener, because I was experiencing some constipation. I'd appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks!

~Jenny~

--------------------
~Jenny~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pregnant with IBS new
      #61179 - 04/14/04 02:49 PM
Brianne1

Hi. I can not help with your question but I have a few for you. How has your IBS been since you have been pregnant? Were you on any sort of medication for it? I was wondering the other day if I could even have kids and deal with IBS at the same time... A couple people tell me maybe having a baby might help, I don't see how since the medication I am on, you can not take while pregnant, my doc has me on Nulev and my psychiatrist has me on .25mg of Xanax (I have an anxiety problem) So I am just curious...

#61191 - 04/14/04 03:12 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

WElcome to the boards! I've had 2 kids and am one of the resident "dear Abbys" of the pregnant world. Torbetta and Lana Marie are expecting now and are wonderful to talk to.
I wouldn't worry about colour. Antibiotics do change things. Constipation is common in pregnancy because the baby pushes on the digestive system and slows everything down. Keep up with your soluble fiber, walking, tons of water - this will also help constipation. Any more questions, we're here! Oh, and you can do a board search (hit the search button at the top of the page) - there have been many discussions on IBS and pregnancy. Take care!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#61229 - 04/14/04 05:05 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Congratulations! I had to take antibiotics with my second pregnancy, twice actually. I don't know the specific brand but I'm almost positive I remember having darker BM with the antibiotics. I'm pretty sure that is normal. Did you get any imformation from you pharmisist on the possible side effects? It might list something about it in there. If it doesn't go away after the antibiotics it may be the vitamin. I tried a vitamin this time with a stool softener in the begining of this pregnancy. I also took one for a few days after I had my first daughter. Don't get mad at me but I can't remember if I had the dark BM when I took that too. I'm not a lot of help here. Sorry, pregnancy brain. Good luck on your remaining weeks.

#61237 - 04/14/04 05:23 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Hi. I had my first child almost 9 months ago now. (Motherhood is an amazing experience! Cherish every moment! Even the sleepy times at 2 am ). I took a prenantal vitamin (Materna) while I was pregnant with my daughter and my stools became very dark. My doctor told me it was because of the iron in the prenatal vitamin. I found that being pregnant and the iron in the vitamin (and who knows - probably my ibs too!) made me very constipated while I was pregnant. I agree that walking lots, drinking lots of water, and regular stretches (I did some from one of my pregnancy books) help a lot. I also found that swimming regularly helped with my tummy troubles also while I was pregnant (and even when I'm not!)

#61370 - 04/15/04 08:12 AM
bchaugen4

Reged: 04/13/04

Jenny-thanks for starting this thread..Congratulations! Hope everything is going well for you! I am 21 weeks pregnant now with our first-due August 27 (or there-a-bouts), and although I can't help you with your specific questions either, I, like Brianne am just curious how it's been going for you.

Brianne-I had heard that IBS can get better or worse during pregnancy. It was something that I thought a lot about before deciding to try to get pregnant. When it came down to it, I knew I was willing to endure 'the unknown'and see what would happen.

For me it's been up and down constantly. The first 2 1/2 months were GREAT! Then I had a bad down-turn and was crying practically every day (and not because of hormomes). Things are better now...some good days - some bad. My biggest issue (both before and during pregnancy) is gas and getting 'gas-locked'. Well gas increases with pregnancy no matter what-OH GREAT! I have days when the pregnancy has made this unbearable...others days have been great. I was a person who had 3-4 BM's a day (not even really D-just regular BMs) and now I have one -MAYBE two if I'm lucky...And although I've had a couple bouts of constipation (which is going to happen during pregnancy no matter what) I haven't felt that constipation is a problem (not yet anyway)-just fewer BMs.

I am not on any meds. Nothing has worked for me in the past which I think is because gas is my main problem (no meds for that unfortunately )I have read that many IBS meds are safe to take after the first trimester of pregnancy if it is necessary that you take them. I have always taken fiber with some benefits-enough that I keep taking it-but not enough to swear by it. I just switched from Metamucil to the Acacia 2 days ago...I am anxious to see how it works.. I am reluctant to start any IBS diet yet...I'd rather not risk any nutritional issues right now-eating is difficult enough when pregnant (at least for me). I figure I've endured IBS this long (12 years) a few more months isn't going to kill me.

If your considering trying to get pregnant, talk to your doctor about all of this 'stuff'. It's good to know what your facing before you go into it...And even though I'm not a mom yet I have a feeling it will all be worth it in the end
Good luck!
Connie

BTW: Sorry for the long post

#61481 - 04/15/04 11:53 AM
preggytummy

Congratulations to you too! Before I was pregnant, my IBS was managable, most of the time. I was alternating between two drugs, Bentyl and Hyoscyamine(not sure of the spelling!). The bentyl was mainly for when I'd have really bad flare ups. I would mostly get the really long BM's, you know not really D but definitely not C, I would go for days without going and then have a day of just going and going! I would get cramps, gas and bloating too. Since I've been pregnant, alot of that stopped. I think cause I got stopped up! But I think what helped is I did change my diet a little, drank more water, more fiber rich foods. But I was still getting a little constipated, that's why my dr. put me on this new vitamin with a stool softener. Plus I have a low lying placenta, the dr. is calling it a complete previa, so I am not to do any heavy lifting, anything vaginal(which means no sex!) and no straining(like if your constipated.) So I think that's another reason she wanted me on the stool softener. Other than that it really hasn't been that bad. I haven't had to take the drugs, I think the Hyoscyamine is fairly safe later in pregnancy, but I don't feel the need to take it. I haven't had the cramping hardly at all thank God. I don't miss that. However, that's been replaced by severe heartburn! I also am very gassy and bloated at times. But most of that is probably pregnancy related. I was just worried about the dark BM's. And my tummy has been upset lately, I'm sure it's the Macrobid. After I finish that up, I have to take something called Flagyll, for bacterial vaginosis. I hate taking all this medication during pregnancy. But I guess it's better than having the infection get worse. Thanks for all your responses. Glad to see some of you expecting like me!

--------------------
~Jenny~

#61644 - 04/15/04 05:12 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

OMG! I was a complete placenta previa as well! However, I started to bleed and got a 6 week trip to the hospital on complete bedrest. My baby was born 6 1/2 weeks early but she's perfectly fine.
I know what you mean about the trapped gas. Try the yoga board - they may have some gentle poses you can do to try to dislodge it.
Fennel tea is also great for bloating. Crush up a teaspoon of fennel seeds in a mug of boiling water.
I had severe heartburn as well. The hospital nurses gave me Diovol at night and called it my "nightcap".
Hang in there sweetie. Your baby is worth it!
I'm sure your Doc told you this, but ANY bleeding at all - go directly to the emergency room. DONT WAIT.
Let us know how you're doing!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Pregnant with IBS-question about Benefiber new
      #62597 - 04/19/04 11:58 AM
preggytummy

Hi again! I haven't had any bleeding(thankfully), they found out about the previa at my routine ultrasound. I have a question: Is Acacia safe to take during pregnancy? Last week I didn't take any Benefiber, then yesterday I stopped taking my vitamin w/the stool softener, it was giving me this horrible taste in my mouth, especially after I would burp, and I think it made me burp worse! I have another vitamin that I normally take, which seems to sit well with me. I've started back on Benefiber this week, I believe that's a soluble fiber. But, whenever I start taking it, my BM's get really dark again! I'm still on the antibiotics, but last week when I wasn't taking benefiber, my BM's were pretty normal, except I was starting to get a little constipated. Now, back on Benefiber, I'm not constipated at all, in fact the bm's seem to be non-stop, if you know what I mean!(but not diarrhea) Do you think my body will get used to this? Do any of you have any experience with Benefiber?

--------------------
~Jenny~

Re: Pregnant with IBS-question about Benefiber new
      #62610 - 04/19/04 12:20 PM
bchaugen4

Reged: 04/13/04

I was very curious about Acacia during pregnancy...I still am. I've asked Heather this question and she feels it is safe but of course says to check with doctor...like with anything you take when pregnant. I've taken acacia for about 1 week now and I have a check up this Friday...I'm going to ask my doctor, but I KNOW she will say, "never heard of it" and probably say I shouldn't take it because of that fact. Logically I can't see there being any reason why acacia wouldn't be safe during pregnancy. But I wish I had PROOF...I've never taken benefiber so I can't help you out with that question. But as with any fiber supplement, it takes a while for the body to adjust...and when pregnant it may take longer or react a little differently than normal, so I would say be patient and see what happens.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3437 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3436

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review