All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Anyone here with severe IBS? new
      #61236 - 04/14/04 05:23 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Hi
I am actually not new to the boards or IBS. I have had IBS since 17 and I'm 21. I have been on this board since um I think 2002.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#61239 - 04/14/04 05:26 PM
till

I do yoga, pilates, t'ai chi. I drink lots of fennel and peppermint tea. I take Dicetel and it helps but not a lot. There is no other medicine for me.

#61242 - 04/14/04 05:34 PM
till

I have the hyp. tapes and I'm listening to it for the second time. I tried Modulon but it made my severe fatique even worse and so I had to stop. I could barely keep my eyes opened. I've been taking Dicetel since I was 19 and I'm 21 now. It helped the first day I took it which I'm so grateful since that day I have a severe attack and just recently found out I had IBS. That was when I didn't know anything about IBS so I'm glad Dicetel worked since the attack was so severe I was screaming it hurt so bad. Just like someone was tearing out my insides. I'm surprised I didn't pass out. I thought I was going to die. I actually got IBS when I was 17 but the stupid docs I went to didn't know anything so I didn't find out sooner. They were so rude and cruel. It's sickening.

#61247 - 04/14/04 05:41 PM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Angel,
I hate to hear that you are feeling so bad. I wish that I could make you feel better.

Daisy

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

Medication For Angel new
      #61334 - 04/15/04 06:36 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I noticed you said you're taking Dicetel and that it's not working too well but there is no other medication for you.

Have you tried Modulon or Buscopan?? Those are both antispasmodics like Dicetel (they just contain different components) and they are both available in Canada.

I tried Dicetel and it didn't work for me at all. I just started taking Modulon a couple of days ago and it seems like it may be working so far...I haven't really had too much stomach pain so far (keep your fingers crossed for me).

There are lots of medications out there that you can try so don't get discouraged and give up!!

lilybear new
      #61351 - 04/15/04 07:25 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

well, i'm glad i can be of some encouragement! i still am sooo careful about what i eat, 'cause i'm not going back to all that D! no way, no how!

as for my doctor's appt, it was ok... long story short: i got a referral to a rhumatologist so they can check me for fibromyalgia, and the doc gave me some meds to help me get the deep sleep i haven't been getting. that seems to be helping! whew!

as for the diet, when you go off the "What to Eat..." stuff and back to regular food, make sure you're adding only safe foods and only a little at a time 'til you are sure you can handle it. keep following the rules (low fat, no fried , small amounts, etc...). are you on a fiber supplement? i swear it helps! i felt like such an old lady "takin' my fiber" but it helps so now i don't care. i'll tell the whole world: YES, I TAKE FIBER LIKE AN OLD LADY, SO WHAT!?

another hint, one that my friend Bev always suggests, is keeping a food diary. i didn't do that, but i bet it would have helped me figure stuff out faster. if you notice symptoms after certain foods or any kind of pattern (remember, you may react today to food you ate yesterday!), then you know what to watch/eliminate. for example, i know i used to get D after eating too much. that was instant. but i also got a lot of D from not sleeping well the night before (that would be later in the day after, say, a safe snack or something... it wasn't the snack, it was the crappy night's sleep!).

good luck! let me know how you're doing!

--------------------

Re: Medication For Angel new
      #62028 - 04/16/04 05:32 PM
till

I took Modulon b4 but had to stop it made my severe fatique even worse. I never heard of Buscopan but if it has any side effects I will have to pass on it since I'm way to sick and I don't want to get sicker that's for sure. I'll look up Buscopan on the net and check for side effects. Thanks for telling me. I appreciate it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for u!

#62224 - 04/17/04 05:22 PM
till

HI
I have both of Heather's books and I'm following the diet everyday and it helps but my IBS is still so severe. I'm doing everything I can to get it stable but it's so hard.
I wish bagels were sold here that are dairy free but none are. The only bread I can get here is pitas. There's no safe sourdough, tortillias, etc. It's crazy. There are so many things here that I need but aren't sold here. It's like living in the middle of no where.

#62226 - 04/17/04 05:33 PM
till

Thank you. I wish I was feeling better too but that's not going to happen any time soon sadly.

Question for JenX new
      #62245 - 04/17/04 07:43 PM
Shelli

Reged: 04/13/04
Loc: Glendale, Arizona

Quote:

second tip: until you're stable, you need to stick to what to eat when you can't eat anything. i was on it for a while... i would try to add other foods in, have a backslide, go back to the what to eat's, repeat....

I'm wondering how long you were on this most bland diet before you were able to add back in other foods without backsliding. Because in Heather's directions about this she says to be on it a few days to stabilize. I've been on it for 5 days now. Yesterday I had a fruit smoothie and at dinner added in some cooked carrot and small amount of white fish into my rice for dinner. Last night I had meatless spaghetti and did okay. Since being on the diet I haven't been attack-free but my attacks have been way less severe and have been shorter in duration. My biggest problem has been a big increase in gas and bloating. I didn't have any gas/bloating issues before increasing my fibercon and starting this diet. But I had major attacks every other day. Now the attacks are improving....like i said less painful, but the gas is almost as painful.

Anyway, being on this for 5 days and handling the carrots, smoothie, etc okay, I thought I'd have a tuna sandwich for lunch. I did put in a tiny bit of mayo. Within 1 1/2 hours after eating I was hurting bad! Major attack. On the heating pad, then vomiting. Don't know if it was the tuna or the mayo or both.

Anyway, my point is now I am scared to eat anything! But I feel like eating nothing but soluble fiber is what is causing the gas pains/bloating. I don't know what to do!!

How long did you do this bland diet? I know everybody is different. I think I"m going to try Zelnorm. I wanted to try to do it without meds because I'm breastfeeding my son and don't want to wean him. But it is awfully hard to take care of 3 small children when I"m having attacks every other day.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I needed to vent. I'm so frustrated. I've been IBS free for the most part for 12 years and then all of a sudden it is back with a vengeance. It doesn't make sense!!! I hate this!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3604 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8906

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review