All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
working out
      #6038 - 04/14/03 08:51 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

this morning I started working out for the first time in six years. If my tummy didn't hurt alot I'd be a blimp right now!
My workouts are at 9:00 am and does anybody have some suggestions for safe foods to eat for breakfast that won't give me a tummy ache while working out?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: working out new
      #6041 - 04/14/03 09:17 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

What type of workouts are you doing? If you are doing an aerobic exercise or lifting weights, I would suggest a high carb breakfast. Some ideas are Heather's breads or toasted sourdough or other fresh white bread. These are high in complex carbohydrates which will help you keep up your energy! If you are doing yoga, I would eat earlier and make sure your tummy is not very full. My breakfast includes 8 oz of soluble fiber first thing then two slices of toasted whole grain bread full of insoluble fiber, but tolerated very well after my soluble fiber supplement, an 8 oz glass of non-fat soy milk and if I'm still hungry, a piece of fruit.

If you are looking for a good "after workout" type meal, I would suggest one of Heather's shakes with a little added soy protein powder especially if you are lifting weights and want to add muscle. I'm always starving after a workout and these hit the spot!

Good luck!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#6045 - 04/14/03 09:57 AM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

I run a mile on the track frequently and roller blade for hours and hours at a time Woohoo... love the weather.
Anyway, usually i exercise 2 hrs after lunch. Sometimes, i'll much on a couple of pretzels before I go out.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6056 - 04/14/03 01:14 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

HI' Ifind that a bowl of jok porridge soup in the morning is very gentle on the tummy. I have it just about every morning, though, I workout in the p.m. I do the treadmill for a halh hour than weights and an aerobic machine, all this after my breakfast and french bread sandwich for lunch. Hope this helps. Also, if you are working out for the first time after 6 years you should take it slow at first.

#6083 - 04/14/03 06:49 PM
BarbaraS

Thanks Lorna for the advice. I am taking a strength and resistance class three times a week to tone. I don't need to lose wieght - I like to work on toning my muscles, especially my stomach. After three kids and serious car accident in the past eight years my stomach and back are really weak.
I like your idea about the shakes.

#6107 - 04/15/03 06:39 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Barbara,

If you're looking to tone your tummy, try Pilates. I've been doing Pilates for about 5-6 years now and I'm hooked! I love it. If you've never done it before, I suggest taking a class because it needs to be done correctly. If not, you will injure your back, but when done properly, it REALLY strengthens the back along with the abs and you get abs of steel - I promise!!!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#6125 - 04/15/03 11:07 AM
BarbaraS

Thanks Lorna!! I didn't know what Pilates is, but the next session I'll give it a try.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review