All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anti-depressants and IBS - need some advice
      #59452 - 04/08/04 11:20 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about my IBS symptoms, and I'm bothered by the fact that they were so much better when I was on anti-depressants. Basically about 3 years ago my IBS was really bad, I was only eating bread and rice and like nothing else, and I lost like 30 pounds in a few months with little or no excercise. My stomach was constantly upset, and it got so bad my doc recommended a liquid-only diet (which of course didn't help because I drank so much Cola!).
Anyways, around the same time my Mom died and I was put on a high dose of Paxil to deal with the depression and anxiety I was experiencing. It definately helped with that, but I also noticed that while I was on it my stomach was way better. I would have normal BMs and hardly ever get constipated or have diarrhea. Plus, I was able to eat all the foods I couldn't eat before. I went hog-wild and ate a bunch of choclate, Kraft Dinner (my fave!) and even fried and fatty foods, with little or no problems. Of course I put all the weight back on, but it was so nice to not be in pain.
So, a few months ago I started tapering of the Paxil, partly because of the weight gain and other side effects, and because in terms of depression, I don't need it anymore. As soon as I started reducing my dose my symptoms started coming back. I was on 60mg and am now down to only 5mg and I've been having the worst time with my tummy. I've been following the diet faithfully for two months, taking Acacia etc. and have had virutally no improvement, and am starting to drop the weight again.
My question is, given my history, should I just go back on an anti-depressant. I really didn't like the side-effects but at the same point in time, it was the only time that I can remember that I ever felt normal, and I really think my stomach problems are stemming from going off it.
I'm not really sure what to do, because I don't like taking "mood-altering" drugs, but at the same point in time I don't like feeling so crummy all the time either.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti-depressants and IBS - need some advice new
      #59465 - 04/09/04 05:30 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sounds like a question for your Doc. A couple of things to consider:1. Paxil can have nasty side effects when you're tapering off it. It could be that your stomach is in upheaval from that.
2. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (obsessive compulsive) and I found that Paxil even at low doses helped my IBS.
3. Lots of people have had good luck with antidepressants helping their IBS.
With that said, you really need to talk to your Doc. I don't know which meds (if any)are recommended specifically for IBS relief. There may be another med available that doesn't have the nasty side effects that Paxil does. Maybe you just need some time, and you will feel better once you're off the med completely.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#59469 - 04/09/04 05:45 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Vicam,
I, too, was on Paxil for a short time (I have high anxiety and am always worrying about stuff too much). I didn't notice any change to my anxiety when taking Paxil, nor did I notice any changes with my IBS-C.

Isn't that weird? Actually, while I was taking Paxil (only for a few months), that was when my IBS was first diagnosed and was really, really bad.

I certainly WISH it had worked to help with the constipation!! Maybe I would have kept taking it then.

I think it's fine if you want to keep taking Paxil. I mean, it's a 2 in 1 deal, in my opinion. It's not only helping your anxiety, but your IBS at the same time! This seems wonderful to me. Of course, no one wants to be on drugs their whole life, but if the diet isn't working for right now, you might just want to stick with what IS working, which is Paxil.
Maybe eventually you can try getting off Paxil again in the future. Who knows if your IBS will be ok then? I would say keep taking the Paxil and keep doing the IBS diet as well, so you DON'T gain back all that weight from bad, fatty foods.

Hope this helps!!

#59471 - 04/09/04 05:52 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Kelly,

I agree with Hansolo that you need to talk about this with your doctor. I have had IBS a very long time and the last two years have been really bad. I finally went to the doctor in January to get retested (last time was 7 years ago) since I was at the point where I couldn't eat anything. A month later I went back and told him how I was feeling and he prescribed the ssri Effexor XR (low dose) for me as well as an enzyme to help digestion.

Let me tell you, I never thought that I would want to take medication all the time, but the low dose only calms my stomach down it doesn't make you dopey and spaced out. I feel much better on the medication than off. Before the medication I wasn't able to tolerate hardly any food without getting sick, now I still stay on a very restricted diet but my tummy is calmer.

Talk to your doc and let him know how you are feeling and ask him for your options.

Good luck

Barbara

#59493 - 04/09/04 07:24 AM
Lilybear

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: east coast, usa

Hello,
I was diagnosed with IBS-C 3 years ago. I took Paxil in the beginning in a small dose. Before Paxil, I could not concentrate in class and my tummy and bottom would make noises that were noticeable to people around me. It was embarassing. Paxil helped me to not worry so much about the disorder, and to concentrate on my studies. It still helps me to this day, and I've had few side effects. It helps but not as strong as it used to be in the beginning. I agree with everyone, talk to your doctor 1st. They would know a little more, and if it doesn't help see another doctor. At times I am able to control my symptoms without meds, but when ibs is at its worse the meds do help. Good luck!
*lilybear

#65649 - 04/28/04 11:35 AM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Hi Kelly! Just a disclaimer-not an M.D. or anything, so please run any of these suggestion by your Dr. first! As someone who has been on just about every anti-depressant known over the past 25 years, I am very familiar with them. What I can tell you is that I know that the Tri-cyclic anti-depressants can likely cause constipation, which is good if you are having the opposite problem right now. However, I have been on SSRI's for the past 15 years (I think), and have still had many roller-coaster episodes of stomach discomfort. So, as for me, I see little difference-I mean as far as having been on the meds the whole time and still having stomach trouble. However, if your depression is gone, it may not be advisable for you to stay on an anti-depressant. Although sometimes anti-anxiety meds can act as anti-spasmodics by lowering your stress levels. I really think your best bet would be to talk to your G.I. doctor about what type of meds would be available for your stomach symptoms, i.e. Levsin, Lomotil, or Librax. That would probably be a safer bet than taking an anti-depressant that is not needed. Also, if a competent Dr. really thinks that you are not depressed, I doubt he or she would continue to prescribe the anti-depressants. Good luck, and hope this helps! Amy

--------------------

#65662 - 04/28/04 11:48 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Kelly,

Good questions, with no easy answers. Just a couple of thoughts. First, IMHO antidepressants aren't "mood altering" like pot or heroin or whatever. They don't make people high or artificially "happy". They correct a chemical imbalance in the brain and allow people with clinical depression to think, feel and function normally. No different from insulin allowing people with diabetes to eat, feel and function normally.

I have suffered two major clinical depressions in my life, both of which needed treatment with antidepressants. But I also am prone to relapse into borderline depression (called dysthymia) so I continue to take antidepressants on a maintenance dose. I have every intention of taking them the rest of my life. Like I would thyroid medicine or my fiber supplements or anything else that helped me be healthy.

Okay, I'll get down off my soapbox now!! Sorry!! Whatever you decide, we'll all be here for you, always! Good luck!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#65671 - 04/28/04 12:18 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

There's been lots of stuff on low doses of anti-depressants helping IBS. I certainly found a low dose helpful, but now I'm on a higher dose because of depression. So they can be helpful.

But what HanSolo said is valid - it could be that coming off the meds is what's making the IBS flare-up NOT the lack of the drug in itself. Give it time, perhaps, but I do think you need to talk to your doctor about this.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2740 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review