All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Food diary analysis -- how to determine my own triggers?
      #59294 - 04/08/04 02:58 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

So I have been keeping a detailed food journal (including a journal of stomach activity and BMs) for over 2 weeks now, but I still can't identify my triggers. Is this something that just takes more time? Or, with my delayed reactions, will I never be able to know for sure that something is a trigger?

I'm tempted to start posting my food journal here for the benefit of the group's analysis but I am a little too self-conscious about sharing TMI.

I am realizing also that I am in denial still -- I keep thinking that I am doing this special diet temporarily so that I can determine triggers and then I can go back to eating 90% of the things I used to eat (including steak and butter and alcohol). I soooo want this to be true. This isn't realistic, is it?

- Discouraged in Seattle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food diary analysis -- how to determine my own triggers? new
      #59315 - 04/08/04 04:04 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Awww - it's really not. Well, I admit I can still have some wine (or a margarita) here or there, but I try to stay away from the other stuff.

Have you tried breaking the cycle till you get stable, then slowly adding things back in? Maybe that could help you identify triggers? I've never tried keeping a journal myself, so I'm not sure if that would help you or not.

#59316 - 04/08/04 04:16 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yeah, you need to look and see if there are any patterns. Specific foods that you eat before you get sick (even if its the day before). This can be hard if you eat the same thing every day... so you might need to try taking things out and seeing if that does anything.

And I don't think you'll ever be able to eat whatever you want without thinking about it again, but you might get to a point where you can have a bite of something now and again. Or you might find other recipes that you like just as much.

#59329 - 04/08/04 04:29 PM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

your diet will change for life to a point for certain, and yes it takes time to emotionally accept that. but even though the thought of it might kill, the reality of it is much easier. it feels so good to feel better, that not eating certain things (esp when you have replaced them with other yummy things) is a small sacrifice. it also helps me, since I am so interested in health, to know that the things I am cutting out because of ibs are those that have such a bad reputation with reference to overall health and serious diseases. i feel self respect for taking care of myself. the trick for me is to learn to cook and treat myself and present my food nicely, as opposed to eating bland rice out of a foil container and munching on a carrot stick. so many times people have been jealous of my meal because I make it looks so appetising!
the best way for me to notice my own triggers is to first go on a diet soooo bland without any known triggers for a while and then introduce foods and watch what happens!
good luck!

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

#59370 - 04/08/04 05:20 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Probably not the butter and definately not the alcohol but I eat steak with no problem.

#59480 - 04/09/04 06:16 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

pearlmaj,
I have the SAME problem as you!! It is so hard and frustrating for me to figure out what makes my stomach hurt! I mean, I used to drink a gallon of milk every week (to use with cereal),and some days I never had a stomach ache, but other days I did. So if it's really the dairy, wouldn't I have had a stomache ache every day??? I drank lots of milk every day (think 4 cups maybe).

So, yes, I feel your frustration. It is so frustrating to know exactly. Plus, for me at least, I never notice an immediate reaction right after eating any one thing. Sometimes I'll get a stomach ache first thing in the morning, when I haven't eaten anything in like 14 hours!! So is this just a delayed reaction??

I wish that everything we ate affected us RIGHT away so we would KNOW that it was a no-no for us, don't you??

Very frustrating!!!

Great pic Delia!! new
      #59523 - 04/09/04 08:31 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

#59582 - 04/09/04 10:52 AM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

Quote:

pearlmaj,
I have the SAME problem as you!! It is so hard and frustrating for me to figure out what makes my stomach hurt! I mean, I used to drink a gallon of milk every week (to use with cereal),and some days I never had a stomach ache, but other days I did. So if it's really the dairy, wouldn't I have had a stomache ache every day??? I drank lots of milk every day (think 4 cups maybe).

So, yes, I feel your frustration. It is so frustrating to know exactly. Plus, for me at least, I never notice an immediate reaction right after eating any one thing. Sometimes I'll get a stomach ache first thing in the morning, when I haven't eaten anything in like 14 hours!! So is this just a delayed reaction??

I wish that everything we ate affected us RIGHT away so we would KNOW that it was a no-no for us, don't you??

Very frustrating!!!

EXACTLY! Before going on this IBS diet, I used to eat Mexican food -- I can recall eating it two nights in a row, and having no problem the SECOND night! And from childhood through college, I drank a big glass of milk with dinner every night.

There are three things I know are triggers for me, though -- the results are too consistent, and are much more immediate for these things, or I would never have known: (i) a bowl of ice cream, (ii) goat cheese, (iii) dark meat chicken (this one was highlighted for me by an allergist I saw a few years ago when I did a food diary for him -- too bad it is the only kind of chicken I really like ). Oh yeah, and too much beer! But I think that is pretty common for most people -- a college friend called the results "beer bowels" (sorry if too gross -- ).

I already did the no dairy thing for 2 weeks back in grad school, and noticed no difference when I went back on (in other words, I had some problems during those 2 weeks and I had some problems after, too). I guess all that means is dairy could be one of many triggers, as I did not do an elimination diet at that time.

Now I am pretty much on an elimination diet but I still can't tell! I keep having D anyway -- but I only have BMs every few days, so who knows what is causing it? If this is so hit and miss, I am tempted just to eat what I want!! But then I remember why I started this diet in the first place and I can't help thinking that if I can just figure out my triggers... I am making myself crazy with this.

#59618 - 04/09/04 12:11 PM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

pearlmaj,
I totally understand. I feel as if everyone has found their triggers but me. Hopefully we will be able to understand more of our triggers in the future!

#59627 - 04/09/04 12:28 PM
CityWoman

Reged: 03/27/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I was diagnosed with ulerative colitis in at the end of February and was put on a lactose free, low residue/low fibre introduction diet (whew that's a long one).

What this means is I can't have any milk, lots of "white" food, no more than about 10g of fibre a day and I can only introduce one new food into my daily diet a day so I can see what reacts and what doesn't.

My dietician says that I will know in 2-4 hours how a food reacts to me.

I have learned that aspartame is a no no and that decaf tea is on the "watch" list (made me gassy and bloated - guessing it's the chemical they use to decafinate the tea).

In the end, I will have a list of food that are safe for me and a list of foods I need to avoid.

I know that IBS in not UC, but the common thread is that we are both searching for comfort and safety.

Hope this helps.

CityWoman

--------------------
CityWoman

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5681

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review