All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Adult Barium Enema Preparation
      #59127 - 04/08/04 09:58 AM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

I am having a barium enema on Tuesday as I have diverticulous.

Have had a couple previously but in each case the prep instructions differ.

This method here now which I assume is same for a coloscopy is Oral Phospo-Soda Bowel Pre Instructions.

It differs from previous method in that I took a couple of tablets in the morning similar to this time but I had to start drinking a mixture mixed in what seem like a milk jug size container and keep drinking more until I was passing only clear liquid. This method I take pills at 2 Ducolax pills at 7 in the morning and drink only clear liquids all day. That part is similar. But I mix one small bottle of the soda mix with a half a glass of water and follow with four glasses of water at 1:00 p.n, within one or two hours and repeat the process at 9:00. p.m.

It seems that I am drinking less liquid but with the second bottle of soda at 9 with four glasses of water I am am going to be up all night? Or once it goes through the bowel settles down until the exam?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Adult Barium Enema Preparation new
      #59142 - 04/08/04 10:15 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi ArtKen,

I had my colonoscopy done at the end of January and I had to take 3 oz. of Phososoda. I took 1/2 with 7-up (which cuts the taste or you can use gingerale) at 4 pm and the other 1/2 at 7pm. I was up in going until about 11 or 11:30 that night, then went to bed for about 4-5 hours and went again when I woke, but I was okay to travel to the doctors office at 7:30am for the test. I also drank some water during the early evening, but eventually it will settle down -- just don't be too far from the bathroom.

Good luck with the test and the prep.

Barbara

#59385 - 04/08/04 06:00 PM
ArtKen

Thanks for the reply. According to pharmacist the prep is easier then one I did a few years ago. Time will tell.

#59621 - 04/09/04 12:18 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Interesting you ask about a BE, I work as an xray tech and am on the other end of that test. There are a couple different types of preps, as you are finding out. Yes, the prep you have been given this time should be a lot easier on your system, or so patients have told me. As long as you don't have to drive for a couple hours to get the test, you should be fine, not running to the b-room all the time. However, that being said, the more cleaned out you are, the better the exam will be, as the doc will be able to get a better look at your colon and make a better diagnosis. The prep is usually the worst part, so make it thru this and you'll be good to go. I don't know if you are IBS-C or D, but remember to drink LOTS of water for the next couple days after the exam, especially if you are C, 'cause you GOTTA flush that barium out of your system or IT WILL CONSTIPATE YOU, and trust me, you don't wanna go there!

I hope it all goes well for you, crappy way to spend the Easter weekend, tho . . .

Good luck!

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

#59708 - 04/09/04 01:46 PM
ArtKen

Thanks a lot. Good getting the know how from an X-Ray technician on the other side.

I know the pharmacist did say this prep was easier than the last time. My problem is more recurring diverticulitis which has become more C at times than D.

However as mother at 87 recently passsed away with colon cancer doctor advised that this test will now have to be done at least every 5 years now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6857 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 968

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review