All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dry cereals
      #5901 - 04/12/03 04:35 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi all; does anyone know of any natural dry cereals with good soluble fibre? There are fibre cereals on the market but it is hard to tell if it is soluble or insoluble fibre and I wouldn't want to get the wrong one.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: dry cereals new
      #5903 - 04/12/03 04:39 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey there! Unfortunatly most cereals dont have alot of soluble fiber. I think the closest Ive seen is Cheerios, which has an equal share of soluble and INsoluble fiber. My safe cereals are cornflakes and rice krispies. Well, cornflakes are my fav! I especially love vanilla ensure over it. If its the soluble fiber your shootin for, corn flakes as well as rice krispies only have about a gram per serving, which isnt alot at all. Id mabybe try going for oatmeal,grits or rice to get in that fiber.

PS> to add some fiber to dry cereal, try cutting up a banana in it. It tastes GREAT!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6110 - 04/15/03 07:29 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Have you looked at KAshi cereals? The Good Friends and Go Lean offer a TON of fiber in each and are both natural. ( No preservatives, organic ingredients) They are so yummy either dry or with rice milk! Enjoy!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#6114 - 04/15/03 07:45 AM
txmom

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: North Texas

Hello Louise!
I start each morning with a heaping bowl of Rice Chex, Honeycombs, or Corn Pops. I usually mix the Rice Chex with one of the others. Luckily I have not had a flare up from cereal. It seems like what I eat for breakfast determines how I will feel the rest of the day.

Christina

#6116 - 04/15/03 08:07 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Whoa - don't mean to step on toes, but I did that kashi cereal - it IS all natural but that is some tough stuff to digest!! Like 10 g of insoluble fiber or something. That stuff KILLED me, I was trying so hard to overcome IBS-C that I was loading up like crazy on insol fiber, before learing about all this of course, and all it did was cramp me up and double me over. Anyway, just saying careful on the kashi cereal unless you are looking for insol fiber.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: dry cereals - Make oat cereal! Easy! new
      #6119 - 04/15/03 09:09 AM
Lisa37

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Trinidad & Tobago

Hi, I make my own oat cereal to make sure to get that soluble fiber --- I put a bag of oats, sugar (I have a sweet tooth so I add to suit my taste). Sometimes I include cocoa for a chocolatey change. Put it in the oven in a fairly flat dish. Stir occasionally to get it toasted through properly and voila - not bad at all! Takes about 45 minutes - depending on the heat of your oven. Leave it out to cool thoroughly then store in a tightly covered container.

Re: dry cereals-Sorry! new
      #6120 - 04/15/03 10:46 AM
tnchawk

Oh! I am sorry.. I haven't had too much trouble with the Kashi's, but I know that IBS is different for everyone. I was just trying to help!

--------------------

#6121 - 04/15/03 10:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

You don't have to be sorry! It may not help one person--and it might help another. Everyone's IBS is different. In general, soluble fiber needs to be the bulk of your meal for it to be safe food. If you don't find that to be the case with you--that's great! I think Michelle was just trying to point out that the cereal had a lot of insoluble fiber in case that was a trigger for Loiuse. (Not to put words in your mouth Michelle...).

It's great that you're posting and that you care enough about others to help! How are you feeling these days...I hope great! Thakns again, and keep posting!

*hugs*
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#6123 - 04/15/03 11:02 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I think of you look at the list of ingred. it should tell you how much insoulable and soulable fiber in the cereal. Personally I love rice crispies, corn flakes and oatmeal for breakfast. Sometimes I eat two egg whites with shredded cheese and piece of toast.

#6124 - 04/15/03 11:04 AM
tnchawk

Thanks Ruchie! I am kind of new to this posting thing and I certainly don't want to give any bad info! I know that I can't eat the Kashi EVERYDAY, I have to switch out between oatmeal, rice cereal and Quinoa, or it does have some IBS effects , but if you do need help to get "moving",as some of us do on days, it does the trick!

Thanks for the concern. I am doing ok. I have just begun a med for a mild antidepressant, so I hope that helps. I hope not to take them for long. Heather's books & meal plans are great. . I have been following them as much as possible and it seems to be working.

I hope that everyone can find help on this board. There are so many strong and smart people here and I am glad that we can all help each other out!

Hugs Back!
-Christianne

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2708 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review