All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dairy in Bread?
      #58999 - 04/07/04 09:34 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Ok, this may be a stupid question but I've read some posts recently from people mentioning that there is dairy in their bread and/or that they're looking for dairy free bread. I didn't know there was dairy in bread? Is it in most bread? I buy fresh sourdough or french bread from my local grocery store but it doesn't have the ingredients listed, I just always assumed bread was dairy free...is this wrong?
Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dairy in Bread? new
      #59005 - 04/07/04 11:00 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

vicam i wonder if wheat flour in bread would consider to be dairy. i eat french bread, sour dough bread. but it has enriched wheat flour in it. do you have any labels on the bread. or ask the store cleark to see what ingridents are in it. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#59009 - 04/08/04 02:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Kelly, you should be fine with the fresh plain stuff! More processed food has dairy in the weirdest things! And, obviously, any cheesy bread has dairy in it!

#59031 - 04/08/04 05:43 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

I was at the store the other day and picked up a loaf of "good" shelf bread and one of the first 5 ingredients was HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! I couldn't believe it! It's amazing how many bad things for us IBSers are in what we used to consider normal or healthy!
KAL

#59050 - 04/08/04 06:54 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I've found that a lot of bread has dairy, too. Especially rolls... so if it doesn't have a list of ingredients and there's no one to ask I usually forego it for one that I KNOW is dairy-free. This just comes after doing a lot of label reading and finding out that milk pops up in places you'd never imagine.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: another bread question? new
      #59059 - 04/08/04 07:25 AM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

i was at the store last night trying to find preservative bread and i only found one...nature's way i believe is the brand. at least it's the only one that said preservative free. but it was honey wheat and had unbleached enriched wheat flour...is that safe to eat? i looked on the sourdough and french bread and they too have enriched wheat flour but it's bleached. i bought some fresh french bread from the bakery but it didn't mention being preservative free, however, it did list the ingredients. i can't remember if it had milk or not, but i know the pepperidge farm sourdough i bought did. it doesn't seem to upset my stomach though, so i guess that's what matters. maybe it's just a little bit of milk?!

#59209 - 04/08/04 12:25 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yes, unbleached wheat flour is actually better because they haven't messed with it as much... although both are fine. It's whole wheat flour you want to watch out for. That's the one that has very high amount of insoluble fiber.

As for the dairy thing, I don't ask if rolls have dairy in them when I go to restaurants, so for all I know I'm eating bread made with milk there. I agree, it seems to be such a small amount that it probably won't bother you unless you're very sensative. I just buy dairy-free because I figure it's better to be safe than sorry!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#60764 - 04/13/04 11:17 AM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

thanks kree!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1068

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review