All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Well, DAMN, now I'm depressed! Need some positive info on Birth control pills
      #58195 - 04/05/04 04:34 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

After reading all the posts on IBS getting worse when on BC pills, I'm so upset! I've been IBS attack
free since last July when starting Heather's diet, but have been dealing with worsening perimenopause
symptoms including mood swings that are scary ( the other night I wanted to choke my husband
for chewing too loudly at dinner-and he was eating mashed potatoes! Not a good sign) My OB-GYN
said I should try low dose BC pills called Alesse. If anyone knows about these worsening BS symptoms
please let me know-even better, if someone has something POSITIVE to say about them, please
fill me in! Thanks! Damn this estrogen rollercoaster ride! Sigh.....

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Edited by berky (04/05/04 07:06 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well, DAMN, now I'm depressed! Need some positive info on BS pills new
      #58224 - 04/05/04 05:37 PM
Neeta

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hot flash anyone! I hear ya, I am in the permenopause thing too, ain't it fun! I hear you about chewing mashed potatoes too loudly, man other people eating just about drives me nuts. My poor husband gets the look quite often. My family have become quite proficient at sucking their foods, rather than chewing! I have taken many, many supplements suggested by docs like Magnesium (massive amounts), soy products really help apparently, Uno oils (I've stopped that though because of IBS) Vit. B's etc. I shall stop because taking these things although they help the symptoms don't help IBS. I found some days they just upset me. Since I've started Heather's diet (1 week) I have stopped taking them so that my body calms down. Anyway, that's all I know. I can offer my sympathy though, hormones are a damn nuisance!!

Take care, Neeta. (Still freezing cold here in Southern Ont.)

#58289 - 04/06/04 01:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Everyone's different about BC and IBS. Eg. I'm on Depo-Provera (the progesterone injections) and I think they're great, but loads of people on here can't handle it?!!! Maybe give it a go?

Alesse new
      #58295 - 04/06/04 04:59 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but I noticed that my IBS did get worse around the time that I switched brands of bc here in England. I switched from being on Alesse (which I got in Canada before moving) to one over here that is much stronger. Alesse really is quite mild, if I took my pill any more than a couple of hours too late, I started bleeding.
Like I said, it might be a coincidence, but when I first when on Alesse, my IBS didn't get any worse. It was only when I went onto a stronger one.. if that is the reason it got worse, I'm not sure.
Hope this helps
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#58303 - 04/06/04 06:10 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

there's also a BC patch that many people have done great with!!

Re: Well, DAMN, now I'm depressed! Need some positive info on Birth control pills new
      #58372 - 04/06/04 08:40 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

"the other night I wanted to choke my husband
for chewing too loudly at dinner-and he was eating mashed potatoes!"

TOTALLY relate!

btw, I was on the pill for years and my tummy was fine. Had to go off about 10 yrs ago because of fibroids. It's only in the past 2-3 years that my IBS has gotten really bad. So for me, there was no link and no problem.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#58379 - 04/06/04 08:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I was on MANY different BC pills over the last 18 years! I got IBS and started BC pills both when I was around 15. I'm 33 now and just stopped the BC pills about 6 weeks ago because I am trying to get pregnant. At the same time I also stopped taking Lexapro (an anti-depressant) for the same reason. For the first 3 weeks I stopped both meds my tummy felt better than it has in years. Than WHAM, one of the worst attacks I ever had, so bad it sent me into a panick attack that required me to take Xanax to get calmed down. Anyway, my tummy is about the same now as it was when I was on the pill. I really thought that was the problem for me but it turns out I couldn't be so lucky! I would say give them a try for a few months, being so irratable from hormones isn't good for IBS either!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Well, DAMN, now I'm depressed! Need some positive info on Birth control pills new
      #58404 - 04/06/04 09:45 AM
bearyd

Reged: 12/02/03
Loc: fl

I am asking to be put on the patch in a few weeks when I go for my yearly check up. The mood swings are terrible. Sometimes I feel like someone has taken over. I have been on the same bc for 10 years and never had mood swings till IBS...go figure? I am hoping my dic can help.

--------------------
Carrie

#58416 - 04/06/04 10:12 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I've been on Alesse for a couple of years and haven't noticed any problems. It's supposed to be very mild.

#58432 - 04/06/04 11:21 AM
Paulalibrarian

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Rochester Hills, Michigan

Sorry can't help with BC got fixed 3 years ago. But the
mood swings are still there. Can relate to your story
about your husband. My husband does the same thing and
I want to jump out of my skin. Poor man can't even eat
without an evil look now and then. Sometimes I have to
move so I don't say anything. Was on hormones after the
surgery but the doctor suggested I wean myself from them.
Most of the time I'm OK, just now and then I get CRANKY!
Good luck, hope you find an answer to all this.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4871 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2507

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review